Sent home unfinished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sent home unfinished

Sadly one or my old regulars had to be sent home unfinished, 16 yr old snc, has been getting testier every groom, got her bathed and mostly groomed when she went ape sf$% on me. I knew it was not going well when she tried to eat me in the tub, I think she has cancer or something as bad, horrible smell from mouth, teeth are fine,lump on chest. Always has been a pain but never freaked totaly out, had to put a towel over her head to get her offf the table and keep my fingers.I keep telling the guy to get her pain meds, he says the vet won't do anything cause of her age, well pain meds are FOR the end of pain. Sorry just needed to whine.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Poor old girl, it is ad when they get like this...even more sad that the owners and the vet can't releive some of their discomfort...

Good for you that she didn't get you! You did the best thing, send her home unfinished so the owners can see the reality of the situation.

sittingpretty

Comment

Maybe God will take her

sad to say,but when pet owner don't wanta doing anything for their suffering pet,
      at least she would not be in pain anymore. You did not mention what type of dog she was,
      16 is getting close to the grave for any dog,though my oldest dog was a schnauzer (20 years old).

Comment

It's so sad when they get old and the vet can't help them...Hopefully they figure out something to make her more comftorable.

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
          16 yr old snc, has been getting testier every groom,

Very sad. I'd bet he just doesn't want to take it to the Vet. On the other side there are Vets that would say you need $ $ $ tests, when indeed making the dog as comfortable as possible till the end is best, i e pain meds. Poor dog.

Meanwhile I'd love it if all of you would spell out the breed. I can't for the life of me figure out what a snc is.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

If the vet won't give her anything for pain, I suspect there's more going on than just her age. Kidney or liver failure, for example. But I suspect it may be more like the vet won't give her anything without first doing some blood work, and the guy can't or doesn't want to pay for it.

Comment

I had a Springer spaniel when I was a kid that my Dad used to give her cherry brandy for pain. It was the last days of her life and we all knew it, so what’s the harm at that point.

This post made me think of her so I felt the need to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
                Very sad. I'd bet he just doesn't want to take it to the Vet.
                That is what I thought. I only know the vets I work with and they really are so humane. I've never met a vet that doesn't have what is best for the pet as their most important priority. One vet (she is working at an emergency clinic now) used to tell clients that it is better to "let" their dog go one day too soon rather than one day too late.

I have a handful of older clients right now, it is so nerve wracking to groom them.
                "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post

I have a handful of older clients right now, it is so nerve wracking to groom them.
                  Same here and in the last two weeks I've had to tell the pets owner's that I don't feel it's in the dog's best interest to continue to groom them in my salon It's a hard call sometimes, but IMO, a necessary one. When the grooming causes more pain and becomes to traumatic, I say "that's enough".

Comment

I don't think ha jas told the vet, almost never turns his hearing aid on. Most vets at this point would give pain meds,she is old and not long for this world, so quaility over quantity of life. And for whoever asked she is amini schnauzer,always had an attitude but heard no,now it is sad,afraid someone will try to groom her and not know this is not normal for her.
                    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                      Same here and in the last two weeks I've had to tell the pets owner's that I don't feel it's in the dog's best interest to continue to groom them in my salon It's a hard call sometimes, but IMO, a necessary one. When the grooming causes more pain and becomes to traumatic, I say "that's enough".
                      I have a couple that I'd like to say that too. But I work at the vet clinic, so who would I send them too. I groom a Springer Spaniel and for him it is mental. Every 6 weeks he seems to get more and more stressed out. I have to ask one of the doctors what Fred's options are. I hate seeing him get so upset.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                        I agree. One day a few weeks ago I ended up with two "oldies" in a row. Half the time you're worried they are going to stagger off the table, the other half that they're going to bite you! or, that they'll bite you as you are trying to save them from slipping off the table!

Comment

Working...
                        X