New shop in town keeps pricing me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shop in town keeps pricing me

A new shop opened near me and I have been receiving calls almost everyday from random people asking for prices - each day on a different breed. None of the people who call book an appt., and the huge wave of calls started as soon as this place opened.

Anyone else ever deal with this? This is starting to be a real pain in the mule...

Another groomer in my town was tired of being price shopped, so she sent all the other groomers her price list. I thought it was great ;-)
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
      Another groomer in my town was tired of being price shopped, so she sent all the other groomers her price list. I thought it was great ;-)
      that is awesome lol! Just call em back and let them know your not stupid. One of the vets down the road called and asked us how much we charged for bathing and grooming a small mixed breed, well our office manager answered because they must have not known we had caller ID. She let them have it! it was hilarious

Comment

I get this a ton sometimes I think that it is a dog owner looking for prices but the other day a lady called asking about SCWT I told her bath and brush out price to groom price explaining it's a starting price based on coat size and so on. Well when I went to hang up I heard her on the line she hadn't hung up yet and I could hear her talking to the others in her shop about how they were way under priced and needed to advertise how cheap they are. I simply said excuse me I'm still on the line if you want to know my prices you don't need to pretend to be a client just ask. I won't lower my prices and my clients know I do great work so if you want to sell yourselves short be my guest. They simply hung up. Oh well let them shop you, no shin off your nose.
        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

haha

Just keep asking them if they called you the other day, then start saying you can only price dogs once you see them in person. Btw how many times does she think she can do that before it starts to look a little obvious!!! D-uh lol

Comment

Just tell the caller that your prices are TWICE as much as XYZ salon and so is your quality and professionalism

Comment

I would call her and introduce yourself and ask her is there anything she needs and you only wish her much success.

Comment

Originally posted by my.cats.name.is.psycho View Post
                Just keep asking them if they called you the other day, then start saying you can only price dogs once you see them in person. Btw how many times does she think she can do that before it starts to look a little obvious!!! D-uh lol
                I go into the shop if I want to price them and let them know who I am. I like meeting the competition.

Comment

I get that everytime a new shop opens, I can almost always tell when a new groomer opens up

Comment

I get that periodically - I think it's probably some of the other shops in the area. I always give an approx cost: How much for a full groom on a Golden? Anywhere between $65 and $85 depending on the condition of the dog. We get more price shopping on our boarding costs. People can't quite figure out that we INCLUDE taxes on our prices, even though we emphasize that. They'll get a price from another place and end up paying the same as we would charge.

Comment

Next time you get one of these calls explain you can no longer give quotes as it is not possible to qoute a dog you haven't seen, and you prefer to meet the dog and owner so you can completely assess the work that will be done according to the condition and size of the dog. Explain that you do not do assembly line work, you use top quality products, etc, etc. Then invite them and their dog to visit you shop.

sittingpretty

Comment

I am the newbie in town and getting calls like that.

How much do you charge for a lab, shih tzu, wire fox terrier, and min. poodle?
                        Wow all those different breeds in one house huh?

Comment

I think I got the same call Rach! hahaha
                          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by rach58 View Post
                            I am the newbie in town and getting calls like that.

How much do you charge for a lab, shih tzu, wire fox terrier, and min. poodle?
                            Wow all those different breeds in one house huh?
                            Well, I actually used to have a doberman, st. poodle, toy poodle, husky mix, coonhound, papillion mix, rot mix and pit all in one house So it happens!

Comment

What timing, this thread! I am the only game in town, but yesterday a mobile drove by slow enough to get my phone # off the sign, and then went back the other way, fast. I expect to be getting some pricing calls..

I wish they would have stopped and introduced themselves...I would like to be on friendly terms with area groomers, I just don't know any.

Comment

Working...
                              X