Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice

Hello,

I am currently going to grooming school and practising my grooms at the local humane society where I work. This arrangment works out great as I have a nearly unlimited supply of different dogs to learn with and, as I'm sure you can imagine, the dogs we get in at the shelter could really use some grooming. My problem is with the drying.

Money is tight with paying for school and the basic equipment so I thought I could make do with chamois and a low velocity dryer for now. I was wrong! It took me over a half hour to dry a pug yesterday and today they want me to do a Sheepdog -- it would take me all day!

The vet tech that works there suggested I use a crate dryer...they have tons of of wire crates and I'd only need to buy the fan. Another gril suggested I simply wrap the dogs in a warm towel and let them air dry. I am not a huge fan of either of those ideas.

Even though money is tight I am open to buying an HV dryer if that is what it takes. It would need to be portable though. There are some cheap ones advertised on Pet Edge but I'm afraid of wasting the little money I have on junk.

I could really use some advice. Should I buy a cheap crate dryer or a more expensive HV dryer? If so, which one would be a good choice for me?

Thanks!

You could really use both; the little HV orange dryers that petedge has are pretty powerful and affordable then get a box fan to help dry them in a kennel. Box fans don't put out any heat and in my opinion do an even better job at times for drying.

By the way, no matter WHAT dryer you use it'd take all day to dry a sheepdog!
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I've said this before, but the best thing I did when I needed a hv dryer was to buy a shop vac with detachable blower from Home Depot for about $100. It's the same noise as my hv and has about the same amount of power. You just unclip the blower and take it to the tub area and blow out the dogs...then you put it back on the unit and you've got a great shop vac to clean up with.

Comment

If you are on a budget, I would buy a box floor fan from Wally World for the crate & a small HV for you to finish & fluff. You wouldn't have too much invested and you can take them with you when you move on. I don't know how many dogs you are doing per day, but you could have 1 dog drying in front of the fan while you got started on another dog in the tub. We have the little portable orange(Metro?)Hv dryer and it works pretty good. Just dosen't have the power of our larger and MORE expensive dryer,, but who has $600,,, hehe, anyhoo, would be much better than what you are using now.

Comment

I'm not sure how much you consider an inexpensive dryer to cost, but personally I wouldn't bother getting a blower under the $200 range, just for the bare minimum usage like the shelter. If you are thinking less than that, buy a $20 box fan and use that as your cage dryer. Keep an eye on the classifieds on this site, there are dryers on there all the time, even look at craigslist, sometimes they pop up on there.

Comment

Im new to so I can only speak from the little experience I've seen, but I know we do use box fans on the crates and it really does dry them. plus no heat so you dont have to worry about burning or overheating them. We started using the Chamois from the car dept at wally world, (we use the colored ones less than 5.00 Bucks each) we use it to absorbe as much moisture as we can from the dog using the squeeze method. this has helped a lot even on the towel useage. you can rinse it out in a vinager solution between dogs (50/50 solution or a little less) I will also take one of these towels and wrap a dog with thick fur on head and ears and clip it into place and then let it sit while I dry the resst of the dog. Good luck

Diane

Comment

I bought the B Air from petedge. It is under $110 . It works great for me and it's what I can afford right now.

Comment

metro stand hv combo

my first dryer was a metro stand dryer that came with a hose attachment to make it a force air, and a clip to attach to a cage. it was very reasonably priced ( they still are ), and it worked great. that dryer lasted me almost 14 years. now I have a smaller metro, a k9 and the chris christensen dryer. I also use fans for cage drying. that would be my suggestion. metro. good luck.

Comment

I don't know your budget, but Davis just introduced a great little dryer that serves as a HV and Fluffer, it was around $230.00 with FREE shiping!
                  I love it, I am so glad I got it. I did'nt need it but everyone in the shop wants to use it. It really is a great bang for the buck. You need to check and see if they still are offering free shiping. I think they did that because its a new product they are offering.
                  If you get it you wont be sorry and it will serve you down the line. JMO

Comment

The orange metro is a cheaper durable dryer.. good for a first HV.. then as a backup once you get up and running at your own place. Saw that you're in Canada, you should try Rens Pets or Pet Supply House.. save a bit on shipping/customs/etc..

Comment

Metro Air Dryers

Hi,

It seems like an entry level Metro is the consensus here. I see the attachment to convert their HV dryers into cage dryers is only $9! That would work well. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on their less expensive models. I see the Cadet Mini is only $52 whereas the Metro AirForece is $89. Can you really get an HV dryer for fifty bucks?

Also, the humane society I work for orders from PetEdge so I can get any equipment at the "Dealers" price without worrying about shipping or customs.

Thanks!

Comment

Get the largest one you can afford the little one will not dry a bignhairy.
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

check craigslist for a used dryer

Comment

Working...
                          X