Shaved Oay Terrier And It's Freezing Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaved Oay Terrier And It's Freezing Tonight

I'm sure everyone's getting slammed with once a year grooms right now too...Today's oay dog ranked up there with one of the worse grooms I ever had to do! I ended up having to wet shave him with a 15. I started long - 5, 7, 10 blades, and ended up with a 15 and a 30 in his rear and belly area. That poor, poor dog - just horrible! Even though he was very cranky to groom I can't stop thinking about him - he's an outside dog and it's going to get near freezing tonight. I took a sweater off the shelf and put it on him (my treat), but still I know it's not going to be enough. I tried to persuade his owners to keep him in at night until it warms up again, but I doubt I got thru to them. He is a beautiful dog and is so neglected! I won't even be able to sleep tonight thinking about him...It breaks my heart and I just had to share.

We had a Shih Tzu that had to have a 40blade all over, he had to be sheep sheared. The coat came off shaped like a Bear Skin Rug, you could see the total outline of his body, face, etc.

Comment

I just don't understand these dogs that need to be stripped with #30's and #40's. The shortest I have ever stripped a dog was with a #10 and that was only because the dog had rolled in deck stain that dried hard. Other than that I have been able to get #7 thru pretty much anything that gets thrown at me (with a #10 in some areas like armpits).

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn125 View Post
        I just don't understand these dogs that need to be stripped with #30's and #40's. The shortest I have ever stripped a dog was with a #10 and that was only because the dog had rolled in deck stain that dried hard. Other than that I have been able to get #7 thru pretty much anything that gets thrown at me (with a #10 in some areas like armpits).
        I have to be honest, these are my sentiments exactly. I have been surprised at how many I've seen this mentioned on here. I have only been grooming 3 years though, but I've shaved off a few rugs myself---so tight you couldn't rip them apart. But never used a #30. I can't imagine mats that tight.

My former boss had NEVER used a #10 on ANY dog until a recent chow, and she'd been grooming 20 years. She told me "I can get a #7 through anything." She worked slowly and charged enough.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

If the mats are that tight and I have to take so much time and care to work the #7 through the coat, I'd rather just use a #10 because it's safer. I did have a maltese last year where I was able to use a #10 on the body but I actually had to use a #30 on the legs. And even with that I could barely get under the mats. It was disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
            I have to be honest, these are my sentiments exactly. I have been surprised at how many I've seen this mentioned on here. I have only been grooming 3 years though, but I've shaved off a few rugs myself---so tight you couldn't rip them apart. But never used a #30. I can't imagine mats that tight.

My former boss had NEVER used a #10 on ANY dog until a recent chow, and she'd been grooming 20 years. She told me "I can get a #7 through anything." She worked slowly and charged enough.

Tammy in Utah
            Just to clarify this isn't normal matting in a normal grooming situation either. This was this dog's first groom and he was 7! His dread locks drug a foot or more on the ground. He had briars buried in his fur that penetrated into his skin. For me to use anything else but a short blade would be too risky - I needed to get as close to the skin as I could - perhaps this was a grooming situation for a Vet, but I groomed him simply becuase I was afraid if I didn't he wouldn't get groomed. My heart sometimes over rides my brain in such tuff circumstances. I absolutely take every precaution to produce a good and safe groom for each of my dogs. This wasn't simply becuase I didn't want to take the time to run a 7 thru him.

Comment

I have had a few cases where a #10 would not go through a leg so I had a couple of spots where I did have to use a #30. It was on the back legs right at the hock area on a poodle or maltese. And I have been grooming for over 10 years. I haven't had to use a #40 yet but on really matted pads. I had to excavate those lol I felt like a coal miner! I will do that on the inside of cocker ears to when they are rotting hunks of wax balled fur mixed with ear drippings. Yumo!
              Milhasavilla I hope you got pics for the miracle pet makeover contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn125 View Post
                When I worked in a nice suburban area, I never saw dogs that needed even 7's. To use a 10 would be unimaginable.

Then I moved to a rural area & we now see dogs that are 6, 7, or 15 years old that have never ever been groomed. OAY would be a treat for some of them, grooming is an "emergency service", not maintenence. It made me sick, but last week I had to order several new 10 blades and two 30's. It isn't because I want to get the hair off quickly & don't care about scalping them, it's because the condition is so terrible & the dog is 10 years old and has never been to a groomer - how still do you think an intact, wild farm dog will stand for 2 hours while you slowly work on mats with a longer blade?

One of the local vets came in recently & told us he still sees dozens of "maggot dogs" every year, and will be sending them to us for their shaving if he can talk sense into the owners. Super!

Anyway, that's been my experience since moving into the country. The difference is night & day, the way some people "care" for their animals. There are negligent owners everywhere, but the mats on these farm dogs are just appalling.

Comment

Wet shaving has eliminated most of the 10-30 shavedowns for me. But not all of them In many cases I'll use a 30 to make a hole I can get a blade into, then switch to a 7 or 10. But that's not always possible. And I've had many dogs that I can do the body with a 7, but have to switch to a 30 to get under some of the mats on their legs.

One thing I have learned is to use a 40 to cut through the mats, rather than under them, on legs. You have to do it wet, so you can see where the skin is, because you're pulling the mat tight, and if you can't see where the skin is, it's possible to cut the dog instead of the mat. You can do the same thing with scissors, of course. But I prefer to use the clipper. Less chance of slicing the dog wide open.

Comment

Like Chicken, I also get OAY (or once every 5 yrs) farm dogs. I go with whatever blade gets through them safely. Lots of times it's with a 7 or a 10, but there's been many a time where a 10 won't peel off the mats inside the legs, so it's a 30. It's so sad and maddening that they let their dogs get this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
                      I have had a few cases where a #10 would not go through a leg so I had a couple of spots where I did have to use a #30. It was on the back legs right at the hock area on a poodle or maltese. And I have been grooming for over 10 years. I haven't had to use a #40 yet but on really matted pads. I had to excavate those lol I felt like a coal miner! I will do that on the inside of cocker ears to when they are rotting hunks of wax balled fur mixed with ear drippings. Yumo!
                      Milhasavilla I hope you got pics for the miracle pet makeover contest.
                      I love your posts Poodlefluff and I never thanked you for the all the great poo tips in another thread. They helped tremendously - thank you!! Back to this poor dog, who I still keep thinking about. I did take pics and document, but it was for the local humane society. These people apparently were turned in for the condition their dog was in and they needed me to sign their documents and show proof the dog was in better condition now. These are really nice well to do people, I just can't imagine why they would neglect an animal so terribly for soooo long. As I was snapping pics they asked me not to share them (they seemed embarressed by their neglect - then why do they do it??), I reluctantly said I wouldn't share them. I would really like to find a home for this dog, but I am doubtful they'll let him go. SAD!!! I am thinking he's a wheaton, kind of hard to tell after I shaved him bald plus he's so thin, but I thought he looked wheaton-ish. Really beautiful dog or he could be...sad again!

Comment

I did a poor guy like that, HORRID! I was livid, nice little dog.
                        I told the owner that he deserved better, and he was is horrible condition.

Comment

Sorry MiLhasa if I sounded harsh. I did groom dogs out in the country, matted yorkies, I still have the pelt of one Lhasa I did, it's just nasty. Not accusational here, I just can't imagine using a #30. I did have a tail that was so tightly matted it started to bleed, but I realized later I should have clipped it differently---by clipping sideways not just straight down the tail.

Anyhoo, I hope I never see a dog that is in that condition. EVER.

I am glad somebody called the authorities on those owners, they should be ashamed. I will never understand how people with enough money to live comfortably could leave an animal in such conditions and not think it was sick and wrong. And to maybe give the animal to someone who could or would care for it. It's just pathetic.

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                            Sorry MiLhasa if I sounded harsh. I did groom dogs out in the country, matted yorkies, I still have the pelt of one Lhasa I did, it's just nasty. Not accusational here, I just can't imagine using a #30.
                            Tammy in Utah
                            Tammy, part of the reason could be your clipper vac. Some of us don't use one, for various reasons.

Comment

In my days of stripping old farm dogs I never used anything but a 10 or 15 blades. Of course back then we didn't have 30 or 40 blades available to use.
                              Come to think of it we didn't have full blades either!! We so have it easy now days!! You lucky people!!

Comment

Working...
                              X