Panic Attacks in Dogs or Mental Disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic Attacks in Dogs or Mental Disorder

I am hoping someone on here can help me. My vet is at a loss and my dog is getting worse. My 11 month old Fila, Ezra, freaked out last Thursday. She freaked out and got away from me on a walk and ran 4 miles home. She first acted like something got her in the behind and then was screaming jumping and biting like she was being beaten. That's when I tried to get her off her pinch collar and on to her regular collar and she ripped out of my hands. We ended up thinking she got stung, that was until yesterday evening. She did it again but this time out of a dead sleep on the couch... running downstairs to the foyer, pooping and peeing herself and climbing the walls and finally retreating to her crate, shaking. We took her to the vet immediately after that and lyme came back negative as did heartworm and all her other bloodwork came back normal today. When we got home from the vet she did it again. I got her in the computer room and she was climbing the walls, the desk and pooping and screaming. After calling the vet again she was put on diazapam and phenobarbital. She was skitish all day today and then when we got home from dinner she freaked out again and tried to climb into the sink and pooped again. If we scream at her to sit she snaps out of it but you can tell she is just freaked out. I just got done loading her up on her meds again and she is in her crate for the night. I have had two epileptic dogs so this does not look like a seizure to me at all. She is completely out of her mind. It's killing me that no one knows what it is and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight or suggestions.

Wow this is strange but almost the same thing happened to my boxer friday night. Was your dog hyperventalating? Mine was breathing so fast, shaking, walking back and fourth and peeing everywhere. I thought maybe it was a seizure but it just did not seem like that to me. He was really scared and literally was graping on to me like he was scared to death. My vet said to just keep an eye on him.

Comment

She does pant when she comes out of the initial freak out.

Comment

A brain scan is needed, a full p.e.t. if possible, scarey, but it could be a tumor, pinched nerve. Used to groom a dog that attacked things out of no where turned out to be a pinched nerve and the pain made him nuts, a few trips to the chiropractor and he was a new dog. Lots of luck, hope your baby gets better fast.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

it could be a seizure...i know you mention you have two eptileptic dogs but all dogs show different signs and such..
          Koda does something as he attacks what ever is near him- me someone else a wall sometimes he does the exact same thing you are mentioning, acting like something bit his butt and freak out, the only things we can think they are is a seizure, and vets believe the same thing..The way I can tell is his expression, his eyes are different and he tenses up alot...

Comment

When I was a small child we had this happen to one of our Dalmations.
            It went so mad one night it actually strangled itself to death.

The vet said that some kind of bug had got into her ears. I really can't remember more than that except how crazy the poor dog went.

Comment

A couple of simple things to check first. Vet needs to look deep into ears and check the anal glands, make sure things are not abnormal there. Then a complete blood panel, including thyroid, in the meantime a chiropractic exam, adjustment may be needed to relieve pinched nerve. If all that is o.k. a catscan is needed. My money is on a pinched nerve.
              Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I know this is a really long shot, but what you describe reminds me of a 2 yr old Lab we boarded many years ago w/ the same general "symptoms". Short story long...the dog was suffering from nicotine poisoning. He was drinking rain water that accumulated in a bucket the owners and friends used to put smokes out in on a corner of their patio. This all happened in a period of 4 to 5 days and culminated at the kennel when owners left him for boarding.
                He seemed fine when he came in (and we knew him well)....then about 2 hours later completely freaked, and no one could even get near him. Vet had to come and pole shoot him w/ Valium to get him to the clinic. Anyway, don't mean to scare you...just check her environment really well.... Good luck, I hope you get answers.
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Have you contacted the breeder with your questions? They may be familiar with what is going on with the pup. It does sound like seizure type issue, but could be loads of other things also

Trish

Comment

[QUOTE=borzoimom;411206] Vet needs to look deep into ears and check the anal glands, make sure things are not abnormal there.

I know this is a serious thread but that was funny!

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                      A couple of simple things to check first. Vet needs to look deep into ears and check the anal glands,
                      lol I thought it was funny as well..
                      I hope you find out what is going on. We had a boxer that had seizures all the time in the end of her life. she did not run around like a mad dog. She could only sit and then fall over. good luck

Comment

Sounds similar...

to my late Pom. He suffered from a slipped disc in his back along with some nerve damage.

He would be totally normal and all of a sudden go nuts! Screaming...pooping...peeing....running.....it was horrible. The pain was just unbareable for the poor little darling.

Maybe you could start with an x-ray?

I really hope you find a solution. I'm so sorry you are all going through this. I know how difficult it is. Hugs!

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                          A couple of simple things to check first. Vet needs to look deep into ears and check the anal glands, make sure things are not abnormal there.
                          Wouldn't it be better to check anal glands from the other end? I'm not sure they can be seen from looking in the ears, however deeply one looks.
                          The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Grinch, this must be hell for you and I hope you can get her help. Please keep us posted.
                            The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Eleven months is pretty young for brain tumors, seizure disorders or hypothyroidism. Not impossible, but unusual. Has the dog had any type of head trauma? My Mal developed seizures as a puppy after running head first into a picnic table.

You have to remember that there are many different types of seizure disorders. This sounds like petit mal or focal seizures, rather than the grand mal seizures you're familiar with. Focal seizures can have really odd manifestations; running in circles, "fly biting", screaming, loss of bowel and bladder control, staggering or going down in the rear. I had a Dachshund bitch that would just stand with one front paw poised in the air for up to a minute, then take three steps and vomit. That was it. Seizure over.

Ear problems might be causing this, but probably not a run of the mill infection. I'd suspect a bug or maybe grass awn might be in the ear. Or there's a problem in the deeper structure.

I'd want to run a blood panel and maybe a tox screen. Hepatic encephalopathy can manifest itself with unusual behavior, and a blood test that reveals elevated liver enzymes would point in that direction.

You do want to get a full work up done, and if you're vet is stumped, get a second opinion, preferably at a school of veterinary medicine.

Comment

Working...
                              X