My First Samoyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Samoyed

OMG!!! I don't think I'lm going to be able to move my aching body for days. It was a 100# Samoyed. It was my first Samoyed ever and he was 100#, 14 years old and totally unable to stand and hadn't been groomed in a year. Fortunately he was a real sweetheart. He was massive I tell you. When I put my clippers on this dog I actually thought that this might be the first time that I might not have the capabilities to groom this dog. The client wanted him shaved and claims that the last groomer injured his hips and so she has been afraid to take him back. I managed to get him bathed, dried, and clipped while he never was able to stand. The client was thrilled and got on a schedule. I think that was the thickest and densest coat I have ever seen. I hope by her being on a schedule that it won't be so hard on my body next time. UGH!!! Even my fingers hurt.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Take 2 mikes and call Sibes in the morning if not better. Glad you got through it and both of you lived.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
      Take 2 mikes and call Sibes in the morning if not better. Glad you got through it and both of you lived.
      Sounds fabulous!!
      ~*~Robin~*~
      "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

You are a brave soul!! I have turned down 2 big dogs this week, it's just not worth it for me. One was a 100 lb GSH, who is old & the other was a chow mix yard dog they wanted to start keeping in the house. Heck I'm old too,,, if I had done those dogs I'd be in a wheelchair. I have a weight limit on my web site, but still get calls for big dogs??? Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

OMG Are you OK? I give you a lot of credit for doing a biggy like that in a mobile. I know I never could. I'd be achin' for a week!
          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I got a call the other day from a neighbor wanting me to do his OAY chow in my van.
            I politely declined, explaining that to do my age and bad back, I don't do dogs over 35 lbs.
            I felt sorry for the dog, but I just can't do them any more, let alone an unsocialized yard dog.

Comment

The last

dog I groomed doing a temporary job at a salon was a Samoyed to be brushed out. The owner of the place always overbooked me and this was the "just one more dog". That dog probably helped me go back in to office work. It can be harder to shave than brush out on such thick coats. I hope it's easier coming in regularly.
              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

One of the very first dogs I ever had to groom was just like that! A 100 pound samoyed who was 12 years old and couldn't stand. Not only could she not stand, but the whole grooming process just seemed hard on her. The owner started bringing her in every three to six months but each time she was so matted and always had this white powder all over her. It was like they kept her in a basement with a lot of drywall dust or something.
                Attached Files

Comment

It is so sad to see them with such weak legs. After he was groomed he actually got a little burst of energy and Mom was just tickled to death. I did spend a little time rubbing his legs and hips and he really seemed to enjoy the special attention. I'm sure taking all those pounds of hair off lightened his load, too. I filled 2- 35 gallon trash bags and 2 shop vacs and my 20 gallon trash can with just his hair.

I will have to say when I got him on the table and he was laying there and he looked like he was 3 feet wide at the withers (I don't know how wide he is ) with this enormous coat I felt pretty silly with my new little pink 5 speed Andis clippers. My initial thought was I'll never be able to go through all this coat with these clippers. I was sure I needed some horse shears or something. I fired up my backup clippers and put them in DH hand (he has never clipped a dog) showed him what to do and where to do it and said "get clipping". My DH didn't last long when he realized how thick this coat really was. He was quite proud of himself when he clipped just the top of the coat. I will have to say that pretty pink Andis 5 speed did hold up to the challenge. They run nonstop for 3.5 hours and let me tell you I think that's the first time I ever felt a clipper get hot. I was afraid I was going to burn them up but they are the most powerful clippers I have. They did survive and worked quite well today and I have recuperated as well.
                  ~*~Robin~*~

Comment

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I even brought out my lister stablemates that I use on sheep. I have a switchblade and a km2 and was getting frustrated. I just ordered the andis 5 speed and after reading your review, can't wait to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarcreations<3westies View Post
                      I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I even brought out my lister stablemates that I use on sheep. I have a switchblade and a km2 and was getting frustrated. I just ordered the andis 5 speed and after reading your review, can't wait to get them.
                      I think you'll love your new clippers as I do. They really did perform beyond my expectations.
                      ~*~Robin~*~

Comment

Working...
                      X