Groomers interviewing for a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomers interviewing for a job

I'm having a real issue with this. I own a grooming shop that takes pride in itself. I have interviewed 3 groomers is the last 2 months. Why is it that groomers come in here dressed like slobs to leave a resume or fill out applications. The last one came in with cropped gym pants on and a t shirt. These groomers find my ad on Pet groomer.com and call to meet me. Wouldn't you dress appropriate
    for your interview. Your appearence shows a business that you take pride in yourself and your work. Don't you want make a good first impression? Sketchers and skinny jeans are not interview attire. When you make it past the the first impression don't be late for the demo portion of the interview and think its ok to talk on your cell phone while you have my clients dog on the table. I am at my wits end with people like this. I run a professional shop not a back room grooming shop. I think someone needs to write a blog about this subject or offer it as a seminar because they don't teach it in grooming school, but I would think common sense is all you need.
    My husband is a Professional Recuiter and is blown away about the stories I tell him about the people who come in here to interveiw.

A friend of mine is looking for work. I'd hire her in a skinny-jean minute if she were near me but she isn't. You should hear some of the stories she tells about looking for work. Prospective employers who won't call her back after the interview if the hire someone else after promising that they'd call her "one way or the other." Being offered an illegal 1099 situation or they will not offer her a contract at all and tell her that this is the way they've always done things. Expecting her to come in to work as an IC on an as needed basis yet when she gets there they have no work for her after telling her they have work for her. One place told her that she'd have to pay the bather $5/dog as a direct employee. Employees can't have employees as far as I know. However, I think her biggest eye opener is the pricing. One place she applied to told her that she'd be getting 40% of their top prices; they charge $40 for Cockers, Goldens or hand scissored Bichons. Her very valid point is that she can make more at a fast food grab joint and know she's not working illegally. I'm sure your salon isn't like at all and I don't mean to imply that it is. Just saying that this type of shop is out there and they're hiring, too.

Comment

IMO grooming schools should include things like business management and professional development. I had to take a professional development class in college and it included things like writing cover letters and resumes, thank you letters, etc. We did practice interviews. We also learned to dress professionally, because if we came to class inappropriately attired we were sent home.

These skills just don't come naturally to some people. I hope no one takes this wrong, but most people entering our profession haven't envisioned themselves in a professional career. In the begining I don't think a lot of them think of grooming as a profession. So they don't have the same professional mindset that someone who applies for an executive assistant position has.

However, there's a difference between how one dresses for an interview and how one might dress when dropping off a resume or picking up a job application. It's reasonable for them not to expect an on-the-spot interview. They are expecting you to look over their resume, decide that an interview is worth your time, and call to schedule one. I find no fault with someone dressing casually when they're dropping of a resume or filled out job application. If you decide to interview them on the spot, you shouldn't really fault them for not being dressed for an interview they weren't expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by TawnyKitty View Post

I think someone needs to write a blog about this subject or offer it as a seminar because they don't teach it in grooming school, but I would think common sense is all you need.
        You can't teach common sense, Kitty. You either have it or you don't.

Problem is, those who don't have it don't know they don't have it. So, as far as they are concerned, such blogs and seminars are not developed for their benefit. It is for everyone else.

Comment

Professional, what's that???????

Professional, what's that??????? I have mentioned this before; I once worked with a young girl that came to work barefoot, she had forgot to put her shoes on! Yeah, I'd say we have a problem with professionalism in this industry.

sittingpretty

Comment

What is the proper attire for a grooming interview?

I came from the accounting profession. I will be apprenticing and then be in the job market. When I interviewed for a bather position at a big box store, I work black pants (not jeans) and a blouse. Would I wear the same kind of thing for a grooming interview? I imagine I wouldn't wear the same thing I would wear for an accounting interview. Also, should I dress as if I might get an interview for dropping off an application? It seems like most groomers wouldn't have time to talk to you then and there.

Comment

My Grandma use to say :As long as your clothes are clean"

I think regular jean(no holes) and sneakers would be okay,grooming is a jeans kinda job, as long as they are clean people and have clean clothes,I would hire them.
              If you feel strongly about a higher class dress code, maybe you can provide a uniforms for them,then everyone can look the same,if that's the image your going for.

Comment

You left out the pack that goes job hunting, literaly 4 to 10 people going around goofing and stopping to fill their qouta for unemployment.
                ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned with they way someone is dressed, as long as they were clean and presentable which in my opinion would include jeans. I would definitely judge bed head, dirty finger nails, a negative personality, a poorly groomed test dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    I

However, there's a difference between how one dresses for an interview and how one might dress when dropping off a resume or picking up a job application. It's reasonable for them not to expect an on-the-spot interview. They are expecting you to look over their resume, decide that an interview is worth your time, and call to schedule one. I find no fault with someone dressing casually when they're dropping of a resume or filled out job application. If you decide to interview them on the spot, you shouldn't really fault them for not being dressed for an interview they weren't expecting.
                    I disagree with the mindset that it's OK to dress slovenly when you are "just dropping off a resume' or picking up an application". A person seeking employment should be prepared for an instant interview or even just seeing a possible employer, when they are out prospecting. You will never get a second chance at a first impression, whether it be at an interview or as you pop in to inquire about work, pick up an application or drop off a resume'. It doesn't take that much more time to dress business casual than to dress like a sloth, you don't even need make up if your clean, neat, and put together.

Comment

No one gets it any more

Way to many people now and days just don't get it. When i was 16 so many years ago I went to my interview at Mcdonalds in a skirt and dress shirt. It was all about your first impression. I'll have people come in looking like homeless folks to interview, I run a professional shop and wear proper attire. I've never gone to any interview in less than business attire. Maybe I would miss out on a great groomer but if they can't even bother to try and impress then I guess it doesn't matter. JMPO
                      "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                      and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                      www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Kated, wear something that you would groom in, you go dressed for the job you are interviewing for. Clean proper fitting jeans and blouse,not skinny jeans you look poured into. Have a smock or similar cover up with you, if you wow them they may have you do a test that day. I went to inquire about a bathing job after a jewelry interview,lost the skirt but forgot to loose the pearls and silk blouse.lol Hired me , they were betting on how long I would last.24 yrs later
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                          I disagree with the mindset that it's OK to dress slovenly when you are "just dropping off a resume' or picking up an application". A person seeking employment should be prepared for an instant interview or even just seeing a possible employer, when they are out prospecting. You will never get a second chance at a first impression, whether it be at an interview or as you pop in to inquire about work, pick up an application or drop off a resume'. It doesn't take that much more time to dress business casual than to dress like a sloth, you don't even need make up if your clean, neat, and put together.
                          Thank you...... you couldn't have said it better. :-) That is the point I'm trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by suzy6469 View Post
                            Way to many people now and days just don't get it. When i was 16 so many years ago I went to my interview at Mcdonalds in a skirt and dress shirt. It was all about your first impression. I'll have people come in looking like homeless folks to interview, I run a professional shop and wear proper attire. I've never gone to any interview in less than business attire. Maybe I would miss out on a great groomer but if they can't even bother to try and impress then I guess it doesn't matter. JMPO
                            Thank you! :-)

Comment

Proper business attire isn't that hard to put together. Slacks, blouse, sweater, shoes. Hair neat! I'm sure everyone has some sort of clothing in their closet they can put together.

Comment

Working...
                              X