Show coat to pet coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show coat to pet coat

I have to work on an OESD that is in full coat. The owner is done with showing and wants him cut down to about 1 ½ to two inches. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to start this project? He is well taken care of so I should not have too many mats to deal with. Owner just wants to make her life a little easier and still have the ORSD look.

I have an OES that gets a 2in scissor cut all over, and the owner likes to leave the head natural. I use a 2in guard comb and then I scissor the legs. It's time consuming, but he looks beautiful afterwards.

Here is a pic...
    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like the owner knows what they are talking about. I'd show them your guard comb options and let them select. I would think if they want it left longer than your longest guard comb, then it is then a scissor trim and will cost them quite a bit more. If they were not sure on the length, I'd talk with the owner about just using the longest guard comb and see how they like the length. It will be quite a bit of adjustment for them, but once they get use to it, they'll love it. A show person should understand the concept that the hair will grow back, and that it may take a couple grooms before they are absolutely thrilled with the results and that you then know exactly what they want.

When I shaved down my show Beardie, he started 2 inches long, then went to 1 1/2 and finally settled on 1 inch long. What fun it was to play with that.

Comment

I groom a pet OES who started out in full coat but her mom never brushed her and she would come in very matted every month. Finally convinced her to do an E comb on the body with scissored legs, which then just went to an E comb all over.
        I have found that using the coat king when I am brushing helps, as the very next visit after I tried using it, she had hardly any matting even though her mom said that did not do any brushing what so ever. She went from a 4 hour dog to a 2 hour dog.

Comment

my customers can't even maintain the E comb. I do a wahl A or O comb with my cv. closed with grain. head left longer with C or E comb. scissor up everything.

Comment

Windfall4, That is one beautiful groom. Thanks for sharing. I love the pix.
            ~*~Robin~*~
            "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
              Windfall4, That is one beautiful groom. Thanks for sharing. I love the pix.
              What she said!!!!
              BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
              I've yet to encounter an OES that wouls stand still enough to get a groom half as good......

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                What she said!!!!
                BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
                I've yet to encounter an OES that wouls stand still enough to get a groom half as good......
                Thank dog I'm not the only one with nutty OES! I have one that comes in that is usually completely matted. He usually ends up getting stripped with a 7F. Monday he came in and thankfully he was in pretty good shape other than a couple matts on the ears and in his cheeks. For the first time ever, Bandit left the salon with a little length. I ended up doing a C on him and he looked great!

He's goofy and fun, but man he's a workout. He bites the HV, so he has to be dried with towels and the stand dryer. He tap dances on the table, and tries his best to bash his head into yours when you're doing nails and pads.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your tips!!!
                  Windfall that is a great groom I am not used to seeing OESD looking like that. I love that look but this lady is adamant about the (sheep dog look) she would cry like a baby if I did that to her dog. You know the kind a status owner- she likes to tell people that the dog is a champion.
                  Anyhow what I ended up doing was I started with the head and worked my way back hand scissoring the entire dog. Working out each mat as I worked it, took me forever and I can hardly pick up my arm today. I charged her a lot of money for this and she tipped me very generously.

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
                    This guy is WONDERFUL to groom. There are times when I have to spend a couple of hours just de-matting him and he just stands like a gentleman the whole time. He gives me kisses whenever I'm working around his head too, he's a real sweetie. Not your typical aloof OES temperament. He's a very friendly outgoing dog.

Comment

What did you do with his head? I was kind of at a loss with Bandit's head Monday, as the owner didn't really want it touched. I ended up just trimming up the bottom and left the fall over his eyes alone as the owner was insistent it not even be trimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapplumipes79 View Post
                        What did you do with his head? I was kind of at a loss with Bandit's head Monday, as the owner didn't really want it touched. I ended up just trimming up the bottom and left the fall over his eyes alone as the owner was insistent it not even be trimmed.
                        I started with the little pony tails that the owner had all over the face to keep the hair out of his eyes. I cut them off at the hair tie and that was the length that I started with. He still looked like a shaggy sheep dog but shorter. He had some bad mats on his chin so I just rounded his face from the chin to the ears. I also scooped out between his eyes and down to the top of the nose with#7 then blended the mussel into the chin. ( I can’t believe I didn’t have my camera with me)
                        He is so used to being on a grooming table so I could take my time on him. I wish all my dogs would be as good as he was. He would lie on his side so I could do his legs and all I had to do was say ok flip over and he would stand up and lay down on his other side. When I wanted him to stand I would say ok honey I need you to stand up now and he would stand up for as long as I needed.

Comment

Beautiful

Where did you find a 2" comb? I've been looking for a while but can't seem to find one

Comment

Originally posted by 3corgis4me View Post
                            Where did you find a 2" comb? I've been looking for a while but can't seem to find one
                            I got the comb from Laube like 5-6 years ago. I don't think they sell the regular snap on combs in a 2in length anymore. I think they are just doing the mammoth combs now for anything longer than an inch. You can check the laube website though. www.kimlaubeco.com

Comment

Working...
                            X