Advice for a newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a newb

Ok, here's the deal...I'm not the newb but my cousin is. She recently finished a petsomething grooming school and in order to get her "certification" through the petsomething she has to groom 100 dogs at a certain location. She called her mom in tears twice in the first week because she was so frustrated.
    Before she even started the school she was informed that she wouldn't have to work with really hard dogs because they would refer them out. Well, now that she is grooming at this location the manager there is proving that to be wrong. He is making her groom aggressive dogs, and on top of that they aren't allowed to muzzle them. She has been written up twice already because of telling the guy she wouldn't groom the dog after attempting it and nearly getting eaten alive. One more strike and she gets failed. I need some advice for her. Some encouragement, something. She is to the point that she is just ready to quit thereby wasting all that money that she spent. What can I say to her to help her.
    I did suggest to her mom that maybe she should look into filing a complaint...going above this guy, because it sure seems like he's not running his shop very effectiviely. Maybe corporate can look into it or something. From what I've heard from customers around here the petsomethings kick out dogs that need a muzzle or fight too much because of the open view grooming and that sure seems in a direct violation with what this guy is making her do.
    So tell me please, what can I tell her to help her?
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

To the best of my knowledge both major petsomethings require all grooming salons to have a variety of muzzle sizes and encourage their use for unruly dogs. Dog bites are expensive to treat so safety is a #1 from a bottom line standpoint. I would definitely look into reporting to a district manager or higher but obviously someone has been letting this go on so she shoud proceed with caution. Is there a way to make anonymous reports so that the head groomer can't find out who reported and take it out on her?

If she is scared when grooming the dogs can sense that and it may make them worse, but it sounds more like she just got one of the bad petsomething instructors. I will be starting a program through the petsomething I work at and my manager just gave me the option of starting in 3 weeks with an instructor with a reputation of being very hard to work with and starting in mid-july with one with an excellent rep with both dogs and people so maybe there might be a different store she could train at? (btw I chose to put off till mid-july)

Comment

NOt sure what to tell you. I would have her take her paper work that shows the store policy on what is expected of her. Unfortunately if she doesn't have anything stating that she's not to be working on difficult dogs then she may be stuck. Most of these stores live and die by policy so have her use that to her advantage. She can try talking to her manager again but it sounds like that won't help. So have her try the next step on the ladder. Hope everything works out. Hope she's not stuck in a contract if things don't work.
      "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
      and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
      www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Which manager is giving her trouble?

Is it the salon manager or the store manager? If it is the salon manager, she should go to the store manager (unless they are best friends). If it is the store manager, she should probably go to the district manager. When I worked at a petsomething we didn't have too much say over policy, but one thing we all could do is turn away dogs that we were not comfortable with. I think that was a company policy and I can't imagine that any company would not have that policy. It's not that they care so much about their employees, but that something like that manager is doing is a lawsuit or a workers' comp claim waiting to happen. She should not have to pay the company back if they let her go, either. She really should go above the manager's head before the 3rd strike. Wish her luck!

Comment

I know the rule of muzzling at one of the stores you are referring to.Yes certain breed cannot be muzzled period and dogs age 10 and over this rule also applies .She should have the option of using an E collar for those dogs.unfortunately groomers helper is also out of the question.I understand she is new so it can be very frustrating for her when having so many dogs that should be muzzled and cannot be .She has the right to refuse these dogs if it becomes a danger to herself or the dog itself .However the loop hole to that is if she turns every difficult dog away she no longer is an asset to the salon.Utilize the E collar for safety.she needs to become more secure working with these dogs many will feed off of her fear and retaliate with aggressions and fear themselves making the grooming process more difficult for the both of them.

Comment

There are better ways. No offense to anyone who works corporate I just hate corporations and their ridiculous policies made by stupid people who have never done the job and then you throw in a power hungry middle management idiot, theres a good idea.

Or put an ex desk cop in charge of a grooming department who has no clue about grooming at all and have them put 'puppy cut' on every client card that comes in. Another brilliant idea.

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post

He is making her groom aggressive dogs, and on top of that they aren't allowed to muzzle them. She has been written up twice already because of telling the guy she wouldn't groom the dog after attempting it and nearly getting eaten alive. One more strike and she gets failed. I need some advice for her. Some encouragement, something. She is to the point that she is just ready to quit thereby wasting all that money that she spent. What can I say to her to help her.
              If I were in that situation, I'd call the nearest OSHA office - 1-800-321-OSHA (6742).

Comment

Corporate wouldn't be happy

It seems to me that a corporation like that would NOT agree with what her boss is having her do. She could be injured, and it could be VERY expensive!!!! They don't like that!

So she needs to document the cases that have already occurred and talk to someone above this person, with a backup plan of going higher if they fire her anyway.

Is there a shortage of jobs around where she is?? If not, getting fired wouldn't be that bad, would it?? She could work somewhere safer and more fun than a big corp, and wouldn't have to pay them to get out.

So I don't know her situation, but maybe she should step back and look at the big picture before tackling these dangerous dogs and working herself into a tizzy. I know it's hard for her to feel like she's not doing well at her first job out of school, but tell her not to try to prove herself by putting herself and her future in danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                  If I were in that situation, I'd call the nearest OSHA office - 1-800-321-OSHA (6742).
                  I'd call a lawyer.....

This is BS that has to be stopped!!!!

The groomer's safety comes first. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by henrythe8th View Post
                    There are better ways. No offense to anyone who works corporate I just hate corporations and their ridiculous policies made by stupid people who have never done the job and then you throw in a power hungry middle management idiot, theres a good idea.

Or put an ex desk cop in charge of a grooming department who has no clue about grooming at all and have them put 'puppy cut' on every client card that comes in. Another brilliant idea.
                    ditto. If I were her I'd get OTTA there. Take herself and her knowledge, and find a shop that is willing to train her while she works as a bather.

Comment

Poor girl, being nrevous with a new career and attempting to work on bad dogs, that is way too much! I would say upper management should be the first course to explore, they do like to follow the right steps in fixing problems. But I would be afraid that if she does get the "3rd strike", she will be out the door. Wouldn't that also mean she will be responsible for repayment of her training/ schooling fees?

I sure hope she has some documentation stating the "no bad dogs" policy.

Comment

Before you call the cavalry ask your cousin a few questions. It sounds like she is overwhelmed and if she is calling her Mom in tears, I'm guessing she is pretty young. It also sounds like she as a ****** manager. First...READ YOUR HANDBOOK and UNDERSTAND what the policies of the grooming department are as far as handling dogs, what breeds can and can't be muzzled..EVERYTHING. Then read about following the chain of command. I will GUARANTEE you she has not read her handbook on the grooming departments rules and regs. You have to be educated on all policies if you intend to work successfully in a corporate enviroment. These policies are there to protect her and give her guidance. They are also there to protect the company. It is not a one sided deal. Next, if you want to be a groomer, you have to learn how to handle dogs. I would suggest she start studing dog behavior, dog handling skills and whatever else she can get her hands on...there are GREAT books and DVD's on the subject..so start studying. You need to educate yourself in this job..knowledge doesn't come from desire.
                        She can't keep denying dogs because she is fearful..honestly, I doubt they are trying to eat her alive. It's more like she has freaked herself out and sending weird signals to her dogs.

Comment

PS..Have her read some books by Turid Rugaas. Also, check out Leerberg Kennels website. They offer a ton of information on dog behavior and sell great DVD. No offense to Czar fans, but take his information with a grain of salt. Sitting in front of the boob tube on a rainy Saturday doesn't count for anything other than a few laughs.

Comment

I have to agree with everyone. Something doesn't sound right and I have a feeling you are not getting the entire story. I am wondering if she isn't just having trouble with everyday dogs and her stress is stressing them causing bad behavior, which leads the manager to write her up as incapable of handling regular dogs.

If that makes sense? I think the manager is a jerk for writing her up instead of helping her with handling, but could this be a possibility?

Comment

Writing her UP, as a Newbie? C'mon, was that really necessary? I can think of 50 other ways to help instill confidence and continuing education in a new groomer that don't involve a pen.
                              Sounds to me as if this "manager' just doesn't want her in this particular salon and rather than spend the time acclimating her to the real world of dog grooming, has opted to take the fast track to ridding himself of her. That's crp.

Is she close enough that she could ever spend a day or 2 shadowing you? An environment where she is guided and secure?
                              There are so many subtle tricks of the trade to make this job easier, and it sure doesn't sound like the mgr is willing to impart anything to assist her.

A1...I really like your advice too.
                              Last edited by 4Sibes; 05-04-10, 08:43 AM.
                              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                              X