• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for in a ...

Groomer

Dog Trainer

Boarding Facility

What are the top things you guys look for in these areas? I've never needed to use any of these thing so I need some ideas for my works website.

I think the first thing I would look for in all of those areas would be experience. Ususally a solid work experience is invaluable.

Possibly reading thru many of the websites of people on this site would help you.

sittingpretty

Comment

Originally posted by agility crested View Post
      Groomer

Dog Trainer

Boarding Facility

What are the top things you guys look for in these areas? I've never needed to use any of these thing so I need some ideas for my works website.
      Groomer- experience how many years professional ,what type of training ,specialty fields : such as hand scissoring ,hand stripping,skill etc.

I do not have any type of professional dog training info other than client references and experiences would be helpful IMO

Boarding- over the years I have seen many different styles and type of boarding facilities some have large spacious kennels beds provided for comfort ,small cage housing similar to groomer /vet cage banks to extravagant suites set up for human comfort to the highly pampered pooch .each of these type have there own unique attributes ,are the dogs walked regularly by hand or let out to runs by guillotine still doors for daily excersize .Look at what each facility has to offer you will be able to decide which is best to promote as an attribute and selling point.special services provided? 24/7 care? staff size etc.

Comment

The main thing I look for is someone who has hands-on real world experience with dogs whether it be breeding, training, or showing.

People with working knowledge of dogs tend to have good "dog sense" and care for the dogs in an entirely different/better manner than those who jumped into their profession because they think dogs are cute, and learned everything from a book.

Comment

LOVE,

as a pet groomer of 27 years,both a shop and mobile and I have owed a boarding kennel in the past(lost in a divorce )anyway, If you don't feel love in the environment,a sense knowing would you leave your pet with this people,it's more of a gut feeling,most of us can see threw false smile and happy faces use the same feeling for this,plus how dog the pet react with the person,I have over the years,quoted myself in saying, "Alot of trusted goes behind the door",mean you must trust the person completely. no doubt in your mind.

Originally posted by agility crested View Post
          Groomer

Dog Trainer

Boarding Facility

Comment

I feel that in addition to experience....cleanliness is of great importance. As pertains to boarding and grooming... I recommend people use the senses given to them (except taste, lol!). Does a facility smell clean? Does it look clean and reasonably organized? Do the dog/kitty guests appear to have happy and/or content expression? If there is noise...is it happy noise, not frantic/desperate type?

And yes, I tell people to trust their gut. They don't even need to put a label on what "doesn't feel right"...just follow their gut.

Love is certainly a good thing, but I've known a lot of folks that really loved dogs...working for/in really shodily managed kennels and shops with bad practices and they felt powerless to do anything about it.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Whatsa matter Sibes, you don't wanna lick a kennel clean? (just kidding, that is OH sooooo gross.)

You know, for that matter, I don't really trust experience either. There are a lot of groomers out there that have been grooming for 20 years that haven't bothered to notice that things have changed and there are new breed styles now! Experience + Staying current is something I would trust, but how do you know that's the case? I used to work with a woman who had been grooming for over 20 years
              and still used the same rusty scissors she started with, the old Osters where you had to screw on the head, cage dried every dog, and does cockers with a #10 blade hula skirt all the way around the body. She nicked almost every dog she ever did.

I realize that's a bit of an extreme example but it's not as few or far in between as I'd like. In fact, the vast majority of groomers I've met/worked for/worked with who had been grooming awhile were like that. So experience does not impress me unless you can stay current. Things change in almost ANY field after that long and grooming is no different!

I kind of think it's a shot in the dark. I always recommend educating yourself in any field that's important to you, so I encourage my clients to ask me questions, get to know me, my policies, my beliefs. I hide nothing and enjoy educating or giving small lessons here and there. There is no right answer as far as what to look for because there will always be someone to prove you wrong.
              There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
              X