Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf oil spill - Pet Hair Needed - UPDATED

Hi all,
    I am brand new to this forum but I wanted to let everyone know that there is an article on MSNBC about what we can do to help with the clean up in the Gulf. It seems that they want pet groomers to send dog hair as it is highly absorbant with the oil! At last pet groomers have a chance to volunteer to help our country! Ha! It was posted tonight and hopefully there will be more about it on Monday. They are also asking for pantyhose to put the hair in, we might not have the pantyhose but we sure produce alot of cut dog hair! I hope we can help as it is tragic what is happening to our Gulf Coast.

Latest Update from NDGAA below

Hi my name is Sabrina Bradford. I am an undergraduate student at the university of Mississippi and am leading cleanup efforts for the Gulf Coast Region. If you could contact as many groomers as possible and let them know that we need the animal fur to be donated to
    an organization that makes mats to soak up oil from hair you would play a huge role in saving the Gulf Coast Ecosystem Please give me a call if you have any questions. The organization is a nonprofit that received 501 (c) 3 public charity status. The website is http://www.matteroftrust.org/about_us/index.html

Anything you can do would be appreciated more than I can express, we were just getting back on our feet from Katrina and can use all the help we can get.

I find that very interesting. I used to live in Texas not far form the gulf. I Think I'm going to sign up and may be take a nylon collection from my clients. if any one else is interested the web site is www.excessaccess.com

Comment

Link? Dirty hair? Clean hair?
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I think this is a wonderful idea. Just signed up and read that the pet hair doesn't have to be clean.

Comment

I signed up last winter when someone posted about this. But the organization lost their warehouse space so didn't want any more hair. I'll start saving again. They have a cool video showing a tub a oil and water and how the hair mat soaks the oil up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Ellie View Post
            I think this is a wonderful idea. Just signed up and read that the pet hair doesn't have to be clean.
            You miss understood, it DOES need to be clean. I'll find my link and post it.

Comment

http://www.excessaccess.com/

Comment

They don't want FILTHY hair, but dirty would be fine. I am going to look into doing this in our shop.

Comment

Update from NDGAA passing this along....

Hi my name is Sabrina Bradford. I am an undergraduate student at the university of Mississippi and am leading cleanup efforts for the Gulf Coast Region. If you could contact as many groomers as possible and let them know that we need the animal fur to be donated to
                  an organization that makes mats to soak up oil from hair you would play a huge role in saving the Gulf Coast Ecosystem Please give me a call if you have any questions. The organization is a nonprofit that received 501 (c) 3 public charity status. The website is http://www.matteroftrust.org/about_us/index.html

Anything you can do would be appreciated more than I can express, we were just getting back on our feet from Katrina and can use all the help we can get.
                  Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

I read about this and found it very interesting.

Comment

What we can do

Ok, so I am registered on www.excessacsess.com/ and what they take is clean or dirty hair but not filthy,no garbage mixed in and clean panty hose that can have runs as they double them up. I am waiting to get an email that will give me a mailing address and then I bag it, box it and ship it off! I am sooooooo happy to help in this way!

Stephen: Yes I hope everyone participating will let us know how it goes. Remember in this thread there is another link besides that one I believe. Everyone please let us know how it goes and post it here so we can get the word out. Thanks.

Comment

I signed up At least I think I did

Comment

I am pretty confused. their site is confusing. I am not sure if I just signed up with the organization or if I signed up for the hair program

Comment

I signed up.
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I just signed up, but I think I have to wait to be emailed an address to send to. I also tried to see the fliers they offer, but it wouldnt open. maybe the site is busy. I will start saving hair and spread the word around to other groomers and hair salons. I'll keep checking the site and post what I find.

Comment

Working...
                              X