Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Keep a Dog From Sitting During a Groom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Keep a Dog From Sitting During a Groom?

Hey all. I'm still new to the grooming business (only been in it for about 4-6 weeks). I work for a mobile groomer and have been brought on, as a young male, to primarily work on the larger dogs since I have less trouble lifting and moving them.
    One problem I have encountered, especially in the older dogs, is the difficulty they have with standing for the entire groom. This makes it especially difficult for me when I am doing a clip, since it prevents me from getting an even cut while they are seated. I really try to avoid using the haunch holder unless it is unavoidable, and I have tried the hand under the abdomen, and on the pressure point under the hind legs.

Any advice on how to keep a dog standing would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Put a can of green beans (any product will do) under their belly. Save up your money for a Groomers Helper.

Also, don't make them stand the entire groom. There are several stages where they can sit and relax while you are still working on the dog.

Comment

I let the big dogs lay until they [i]must[i/] stand. Then I gently "suggest" they stand by light pressure on their abdomen sorta "tickling" them to a standing position. At that point I employ a sling under the belly if they cannot stand long, I also use a sling on any blind or geriatric dog that I can't trust to stay on the table. Safety first...always!!
      A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Sorry, missed the big dog comment. With a big dog, I'd use something along the lines of a small rubbermaid foot stool to slip under the dog's belly.

Comment

I added an extra arm to the side of my table I then wrap a towel around a lead place under the belly and tie up to the arm .I have found this very helpful especially for Sr dogs that have difficulties with balance, it does give them a sense of security . I use the towel to prevent strap burns.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
            Sorry, missed the big dog comment. With a big dog, I'd use something along the lines of a small rubbermaid foot stool to slip under the dog's belly.
            I tried something like that - once.

Big, big Doodle that wouldn't stand. Placed a rubbermaid waste paper basket under his tummy. When he thumped into it he bailed the table.

Luckily, the table was low to the ground, but he managed to bend the grooming arm right over and bust the top of the grooming table at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Beer View Post
              Hey all. I'm still new to the grooming business (only been in it for about 4-6 weeks). I work for a mobile groomer and have been brought on, as a young male, to primarily work on the larger dogs since I have less trouble lifting and moving them.
              He means he's a big, strong, gentle guy who's very presence has already saved me like 15 trips to the chiropractor! I'd like to introduce you all to the ONLY person I don't mind sharing my van with (cuz he keeps it so clean) and I gotta say I've never been so happy to have a new groomer on board! RB is getting a "baptism by fire" and is apprenticing with me (poor bastard LOL) as our new big-hairy-bather-brusher-shavedowner! In fact, he did his first doodle today! (beginners luck - kept in a #5 smoothie from tip to tail).

RB, you may wanna try dropping the table down, bracing your foot on it, and using your knee under the dog's hindquarters to prevent sitting and provide support.
              Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
              George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

I tied a knot in my loop and attached another loop right at the knot for the hind end.I use the kind meant for the tub and it had a rubber tube around it I also do the hind first so by the time fat and lazy is reaqdy to sit,i have already finished it.

Comment

For senior dogs, I don't worry about a perfect clip. If they need to sit or lay down I work around it and have never had an owner complain when I explain why the groom may not be perfect. Actually, all have appreciated my willingness to work around their pets limitations.
                  What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Old dogs

Old dogs and many large ones that are young NEED to sit because they actually have bad hips.

So when they are "fresh", you do the rear. Do a lot of other stuff while they lie and sit. If they get to rest after the bath, then when they stand again get that rear finished while you can!

It will help a lot when you get faster - pretty tough to go quickly in the beginning on dogs that need some fast work.

Geriatric support would help, takes their weight off their hips.

Comment

Ditto what Debbiedog said. So many of the dogs we see have hip and other problems-they aren't being stubborn or lazy, it just hurts. I have a bad hip, and I know so well where they're coming from. You just groom what you can get at when you can get at it.
                      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                        I added an extra arm to the side of my table I then wrap a towel around a lead place under the belly and tie up to the arm .I have found this very helpful especially for Sr dogs that have difficulties with balance, it does give them a sense of security . I use the towel to prevent strap burns.
                        This is another reason I LOVE my Pup Tent! I never have to 'add' anything. I merely put the tummy strap under them with a piece of foam (I use pipe insulation) and wha la ... it hooks right up, the dogs literally swing at times. I have a chow that comes in, he was born with deformed back feet... the owner rescued him before he was destroyed... He is up on the table, the tummy strap w/ foam is under him. He literally stands for about 2 minutes then rests his entire back part of his body on the support and relaxes. He really enjoys it to be honest LOL, I know the owner says it is fun to watch his reaction... he has never been 'standing' for more than a few minutes ever in his life and this dog reacts like he is king of the chows (at least on my table) to quote the owner.

He gets a complete shave down (I use the orange color wahl comb which equals a #3 blade in length) and he loves the idea he is a big bad chow... ROFL. Anyway, I know everyone has different things they use but ever since we began using the Pup Tent on our tables at our salon we have not had to 'add' or 'move' anything. When you dont need any extra support, everything is free & clear but it is right there 'IF' you do need it.. quick & easy.

Comment

Originally posted by RPS View Post
                          This is another reason I LOVE my Pup Tent! I never have to 'add' anything. I merely put the tummy strap under them with a piece of foam (I use pipe insulation) and wha la ... it hooks right up, the dogs literally swing at times.
                          Is this a product or did you make this yourself?

To the original poster, I do what most others do.. do what I can while they're sitting/laying and get them up in short intervals to do the back end and such, sometimes I do what PuppyFluffer mentioned and put the table down low and put a knee under them. I have the Groomers Helper but honestly I don't like it for this reason. Just personal preference.

Comment

I use a cinch for a pony's saddle. It's 3-4" wide and is soft without folding on itself. I hook that up under the belly of the dogs with bad hips, etc. This allows the dogs to have the support they need without placing too much pressure on their bladder or digging into their belly. My regulars love it and lean into it almost immediately. I make sure to dry/clip the area to be covered by the cinch first.
                            "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                              For senior dogs, I don't worry about a perfect clip. If they need to sit or lay down I work around it and have never had an owner complain when I explain why the groom may not be perfect. Actually, all have appreciated my willingness to work around their pets limitations.

This is also what I do and the owners do seem appreciative that I don't stress there dog any more than necessary.
                              ~*~Robin~*~
                              "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Working...
                              X