Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to the vet you go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to the vet you go...

Hi ho...

Embedded nails and solid, tight, felt balls around feet. #10 AO and feet/nails/felt balls left for the vet to deal with...what more can I say...
    Attached Files

that poor dog. I hope the owners actually do take it in to get the rest of it taken care of, and don't put it off or just not bother.

Comment

I would have tried a 30 or 40 blade to get under the matts on the feet. I have an Arco Mini that has a very small blade that is perfect for situations like this. Sometimes once you get it started the matting just peels away. In the picture it looks like the black nail was just really curly- I would have clipped that. But, if it was embedded into the foot/pad I prob would have left it. It's hard to say without seeing in person.

I say this because people who let their pets get in this condition usually are ones who will not take the dog to the vet. It's hard enough to get them to the groomer and now they have to go to the vet and spend more money??

Comment

They assured me they were going to the vet. I told them there was a very good chance that the dog's feet would be sliced open since the felt was very tight and the thin skin was starting to web while attempting to work a 30 blade into it - and pulling embeded nails out moves into medical procedure territory.

In the past we pulled nails out of pads when I worked at other shops, but it's not something I risk nowadays being self employed.

Comment

I just feel like crying after seeing pictures like these.
          One of my very first dogs that I trained on had nails like that, although not quite as bad. His legs were hard cast like pelts, and he was a challenge for me to do. I think he was my third dog, and I did get him done. Shaved to the bone and I gave him a sweater and told the owner to get the nails done every 2 weeks until they were back to a reasonable length. Each time I cut the nails I got as close to the quick as I could, then used a nail file to slightly prick the blood vessel and only now are the nails back to normal. It took 8 months.
          It was the hardest dog I have ever done, took me 6 hours and I learned more on that one dog than I ever imagined. He was friendly, calm, sweet beyond belief. When he comes now he runs up to me and jumps in my arms and kisses like crazy
          My teacher wrote on the photo's I sent that it was a task she was not sure she would have undertaken, but I did an amazing job on such a neglected dog and I got really high marks and a pat on the back telling me I would be one of the success stories ! but I was learning to groom and thought I needed to do it. The owners did not seem the type to go to the vets for anything but shots, and he ws due for his shots the following week, so they needed him groomed.
          I have been working with them to help them learn to care for the dog and i am making progress. He comes in once every 12 weeks for a groom, they cut the nails at home after I showed them how and gave them some quick stop, just in case. He is now a well cared for boy who is so happy.
          Some people just do not realize the complications that can arise from letting their dogs get in this condition. Education of the clients is working for me, and it is lso helping my business. I have 2 other groomers sending me their overflow, one groomer who quit is giving out my cards, and although I have slow weeks, the past month and a half has been wonderful with the exception of 10 days. I now push for pre-booking, for the dogs that come in every 12 weeks, I am getting them in for a bath, nails and face trim at 6 weeks. It works out great for me, the owners are happy, and I am making money and helping these dogs. I am also finally realizing my worth and charging more for my services and have had no complaints, even the tips are more. Last week I got a card for my birthday with $20.00 from the dog I fixed up. I checked him out and trimmed around his eyes and he was good to go. They drove over and hour and a half to bring me this card, so I really appreciated the gesture, and realize that people think I am worth what I charge! It's a great feeling
          It feels really good. I understand not everyone can do this due to having so many clients and a schedule to stick to, but I am working in a less stressful environment, and I love wht I am accomplishing.
          I hope everyone is busy enough to be happy and make money, but not to busy to spend some time with the ones you love, and also some "you " time!

Comment

I have dealt with dogs like this many times over the yrs ,if I have needed to use a shorter blade I just do it. The nails were excessively long yes but at least they were not embedded into the dogs foot yet at least from the view in the photo. I cannot say how many times I have had to pull the excess nail growth out of a dogs pad .One dog came to mind while viewing your photo was an English Springer spaniel I had in for nail clipping only the poor dog had a nail 2 inches long that had grown completely through the pad and stuck out the other side .I clipped it and pulled it out( it was like a piercing) cleaned the wound with peroxide and sent them to the vet for follow up treatment.I personally will not leave it embedded if I can help it, that is too painful for the dog to wait.

Comment

I just groomed a shih in the same condition, lady was out of work for 2 years, someone else paid for the grooming. I used a letter opener to work to the skin and get a starting point. She was so good for the whole groom, when it was over she just snuggled up to me,as if to say thanks.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                I just groomed a shih in the same condition, lady was out of work for 2 years, someone else paid for the grooming. I used a letter opener to work to the skin and get a starting point. She was so good for the whole groom, when it was over she just snuggled up to me,as if to say thanks.
                I cannot TELL you how much this pisses me off! If she was out of work two years she had PLENTY of time to brush the dang dog!
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

ERRRRRRR how awful! I use to get some bad ones as well and I would flat out telll them how painful it is for the dog. So now most of them come to me sooner to clip the nails.

Comment

I've done a lot of dogs over the years like this. It can be done (unless the dog is a real PIA-and most of them in this shape are very good, I think they appreciate the help.) For nails like that, I use the nail scissors and go over the top. Nails imbedded in the pads are just like ant other wound when they're removed. Vet follow up if necessary.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X