Is this a Shih or a Lhasa??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Shih or a Lhasa??

The reason I ask this is because the owner at first said it was a Shih Tzu when they bought it as a puppy. Their other Shih Tzu died about a year ago. She (Dixie) was much smaller than this little girl, Lucy. Lucy is getting older and he isn't so sure this is a purebred Shih Tzu. He keeps saying it must have Lhasa in it. I'm thinking that she just isn't as good quality as Dixie was. But I haven't really come right out and told him that, I guess I should. He saw Toby today and said "Now that's what a Shih Tzu is suppose to look like!" Of course I agree with him. lol Toby is even a little larger than Dixie was. Ater Lucy is all cleaned up she looks pretty good. I really don't see Lhasa in her, except she is rather large.

What do you folks think. Sorry I should have taken a before pic of her but I didn't.
    Attached Files
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

She looks like a Shih-tzu to me, but with bad breeding in both breeds it can sometimes be hard to tell

Comment

These two breeds took the longest time for me to tell apart. In the pet world the end up so much alike. Yes the breed types are very different but I have see so many variations in size that some are more half and half than one or the other. (yorkies have huge size variations to)

Comment

Very true Peaster. We were talking about that at work today. We see so many different varations and bad examples of breeds that I barely know what they are supposed to look like anymore.
        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I believe Lhasa, the nose appears to have much more definition.

Comment

Hmmmm....

Well Lucy sure is a cutie! But I think she looks Shih Tzu-ish too - from what I can see. More so than Lhasa-ish anyway. It's possible she could be crossed between them too. With both these breeds there can be a wide variation of sizes and characteristics. Even though she may be larger than most Shih's doesn't necessarily mean she's purely bred either. She is precious without a doubt though. Just my two cents...

Comment

She looks shih-tzu to me. I imagine lots of shih-tzu's have a bit of lhasa and visa versa, just like yorkies and silkys.

Comment

Looks like a Shih Tzu to me. Sure is a cutie.

Comment

She looks like a Shih/Lhasa mix to me. Maybe more Shih than Lhasa, but a mix, just the same.

Sometimes it's easier to tell when their head is wet. You can see the shape of the skull and jaws better that way.

But whatever she is, she sure is cute.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Next month I'll tell the owner he probably has a Shih/Lhasa cross, or maybe I'll just tell him he has a poorly bred Shih Tzu! Which would be worse to hear? I'm sure he paid good money for what he thought was a Shih Tzu.

They love Lucy no matter what she is. She is well taken care of too.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Working...
                    X