I saved a life tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saved a life tonight

I know that this might sound self serving, but I was proud of how I responded...

I was at dinner at my favorite Mexican dive with 2 of my friends. As we were chatting, my friend sitting across from me points at something behind me. My other friend sitting next to me turns and looks and hits me in the arm and tells me that that lady is choking and you need to help her. I turn around and sure enough she is choking and her friends are starting to panic. I look around the place hoping that someone will jump up and scream "I'm a doctor/nurse/Red Cross CPR Instructor, stand back!!" But no, no one moves. Not like TV or the movies at all.

I get up and head over to her and told her that I going to do the heimlich. I certainly don't mean this to be mean or rude but she wasn't a small woman and thank god I am a fairly big guy and was able to get my arms and hands in the correct position. I did three sets of five hard thrusts before her brought up the food and was able to breathe again. I sat her down and made sure that she was doing OK (I asked her how her ribs felt) . The paramedics arrived about 3 minutes later and told me that I did a great job. They took her to the hospital to be checked out and her friends came to our table and thanked me several times.

As we were getting ready to pay the bill and leave the waitress told us that the woman's friends had already paid the bill for our dinner.

So to sum it up, all those times I took those CPR/First Aid classes (at least 5 times over the years) finally paid off. I was amazed how calm I was and how I remembered all the things I needed to do. So you just never know. Everyone should learn how to do the Heimlich.

My friend told some people at another table that I was actually certified in "doggy" CPR and they didn't believe it until I showed them my little card.

Scott

Wow! I'm glad you were there. And I bet the woman is too! When my kids were younger I would not leave them with anyone who did not know the Heimlich,having a friend whose little sister died from choking on a peanut. I hope I would think as fast ,and do it right too if ever faced with a choking emergency. You are a hero!
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

Wow! I'd call that making a difference in someone's day!

Comment

Hey man, if you don't toot your own horn, it may never make a sound. Great job, saving a life is never a small thing!
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

Comment

not self-serving at all, you were in the right place at the right time-good job!

Comment

Nice work man.

Comment

Way to go!!!! WooHOOOOOOOOO! Well done!!

How wonderful that you were there to help her out. It's good to know there are people like you out there that are willing and prepared to help someone in need.
              "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

That is someting to be proud of!!

Comment

Wow. That's a terrific story! Glad you shared it! I took human CPR a long long time ago but have never forgotten and it helped when it came to critter CPR class.
                  A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

That is great!

I bet she was glad you were there! Good job!

Comment

Awesome job! Before I became a groomer, I went to school to be a firefighter/paramedic, and learning simple life saving maneuvers is something everyone should do!! Good job and thank goodness you were there!!

Comment

They were lucky you were there. That's sure is something to be proud of.

Comment

Very well done, Scott! That noise you hear in the background is all of US tooting horns for you, too! You certainly do make us proud!
                          Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                          George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Great Job. My hubbie had to do it on our daughter a couple years ago. IT IS SCARY watching some else having to do it. WTG THANK YOU so much for sharing.

Comment

That is GREAT!!!! You did save a life!

I once choked on something I was eating in a restaurant. It was the worst 2 seconds of my life. I thought I might die in that moment. Luckily I was sitting next to my hubby who I knew would help me. TG I coughed and I was OK. It took a half hour for me to recover. My face was red as a beet, my heart was racing and I was sweating and shaking. At the same time, I felt embarrassed. How dumb is that? It was a busy NY restaurant on a Saturday night.

Everyone should know how to do this and should not hesitate to help if they see someone in trouble.
                              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X