Poor safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor safety

I checked out the new discount pet supply store that opened near me today that also has grooming....ok, I spied on the grooming.
    There was a receptionist talking with a customer, a groomer working on a dog & a dog (yorkie) on a table hooked to a grooming loop, unattended. The groomer had her back to the unattended yorkie, who, bless him,was just sitting there, eventhough there was a big doodle wandering around.

IDK....I kinda thought that was pretty UNSAFE to say the least!!!!!
    (insert much sarcasm here)

It REALLY BOTHERED me....this grooming business has 2 other shops in my area that promote a "cage-free environment", but right on their website shows pics of dogs in a cubby-like cage bank, minus the cage doors, hooked up to grooming loops.....What the heck?...Just looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Had to vent about this....

We have stalls at this salon... in fact, oh Id have to say in the past 15-18 yrs or so, I have worked at other salons who have he same thing. I have worked at places with cage banks or crates too.
    It is a very personal choice as to how pets are kept safe when not on a table or being worked on. In 30+ yrs I have seen more bites & cage fright pets in places with crates/cages than in shops with stalls and these (I have found at least) usually use leashes to get the pet out. With a stall it is a visual thing for the dog, they have a sense of freedom without being able to get out. I know groomers on both sides of this discussion though. I can say it is not a safe vs un-safe thing when talking about that aspect if they are designed correctly. In this salon I find most dogs lie down to take a nap! calm, cool and relaxed because at home they are not crate trained... but that is my experience over the years.

I will agree that leaving a dog (even turning your back on them for a second) is a huge safety thing and I will agree with you on that.

Comment

I have seen some shops witht he cubby things, and I think it is a great idea, when they are on groung level. I have seen them built up two or three high, and to me that looks like an accident waiting to happen.
      What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

never mind !
        Last edited by DBT; 05-15-10, 12:22 AM.

Comment

>>>>>>>>>
          Last edited by DBT; 05-15-10, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
            I have seen some shops with the cubby things, and I think it is a great idea, when they are on ground level. I have seen them built up two or three high, and to me that looks like an accident waiting to happen.
            Our stalls are 2 levels. The lower level is for medium to large breeds, the upper level is for small only. Each has a different dimension so NO DOG can even get close to the edge. The lower stalls also cannot reach the upper stalls by turning around or standing up. We keep throw rugs & bedding for older pets with arthritis issues so they have something soft to lie on.

To best describe them the lower are at least 3 1/2 feet deep with the top of them being 30 inches from front to back, the upper stalls 'floor' is the lower stalls top and they run the 30 inches from front to back. Most small dogs just enjoy the feeling they are at eye level to us. The dividers in between them also keep them separate. Dogs can lie down (which many do and nap if they are just or are already done waiting for the owners to come), they can stand, sit, lie down all with a feeling of not being in a cage because it is open in front. So many of our clients come in to pick up only to find their groomer taking a break sitting in the stall with the dog!
            I try to keep the same pets with the same groomer's too for comfort & familiarity and the only problem I have seen in all the years I have worked with this is some dogs begging for more attention. I have heard from others that this is merely a cage with out a front but that is the point of it... no cage shy, cage biters and never is a dog dragged out by a leash or loop. They stand up and walk out very relaxed as though it is their choice to do so. I just hate the idea (my personal issue) that some dogs that bark or need constant attention are put in a cage and a towel draped over the front. To me that is isolation & punishment JMHO. I prefer working with the dogs rather than punishing, maybe they dont get a lot of attention at home so they soak it up when they are in my salon.

this is the same 'design' I have worked with in salons for over 20 yrs. As I said before, I have worked in shops that use both methods for keeping dogs but I have seen more bites (just my experience) with cages. I know many are more comfortable with cages and that is fine for who likes them... I am merely stating that for all the 'styles' of tools, this is just another choice.

As to the shops that let dogs run anywhere.. I guess that is a choice too. One of the wonderful things about our profession is that there lots of choices and we all (hopefully) find what is right for our own way of working.

Comment

Originally posted by DBT View Post
              This sort of thing makes me so crazy i could scream! I treat my clients safety(physical & emotional) as the paramount concern while they are in my care.
              ///

oh, did i mention how much this makes me crazy.....
              Your "friend" should be out of business if you ask me. If my dog is staying somewhere, I want him in a kennel, where A) no other dog can get to him, and B) He cannot get out or down, or hang himself, tangle himself, etc. If dogs are kennel shy, all-wire kennels can often help with this. No way on earth would I allow my dog to be in any other grooming situation. And dogs able to hang or jump from a table due to a groomer's back being turned---So help me, if it were MY dog, I would become UNLEASHED on them. No pun intended.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

RPS....My issue with the cubby thing is that the dogs are left with a "loop-leash-noose" whatever ya wanna call it in a "space", high up, NO protection or supervision from hanging themselves!...I do NOT think that is SAFE....PERIOD. From the pics I saw, these dogs could leap out & hang, back up & slip out of the noose & fall, etc,etc....NOT SAFE !!!

Comment

Last edited by DBT; 05-15-10, 12:22 AM.

Comment

doesnt matter
                    Last edited by DBT; 05-15-10, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I work in a NO KENNEL shop. I love it. The dogs love it. We just let the dogs roam with in the shop (on the upper level with the screen door shut away from the the outside door.. I have yet to come across a pet that is aggressive with another. We also have a hall with a gate incase we need to put a peer in the hall. AND WE HAVE A GATE at the front door incase they do get out away from us. You have no idea how much calmer the pets are.
                      If the pet comes to the shop in its own kennel we just put it on the floor and open it. then the dog has a choice if they want to stay in it or leave it. The dogs usually just play around or lay down or just watch us groom. I would not want to groom anywhere else.

there is no kennel shyness here, no pooing in a kennel no peeing in the kennel. I cant tell you how many times I have had rewash a dog due to throw up or poo or pee. ITS GREAT HERE

Its the same concept as a daycare for dogs. The moms and dads LOVE IT. We have anywhere from 3 to 9 dogs in the shop at one time. BUT also I must make a point We are always watching the dogs and being aware of things in the shop. I would not just leave any dog unattended with out another groomer watching the area.

Comment

Way back, before I went to grooming school, I walked into a local shop to ask for a job. The groomer, a teenager, walked over to talk to me, leaving the dog standing on the table with the loop around it's neck. I was mortified. All I could think was how dangerous that was.
                        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by greyhoundlover View Post
                          I work in a NO KENNEL shop. I love it. The dogs love it. We just let the dogs roam with in the shop (on the upper level with the screen door shut away from the the outside door.. I have yet to come across a pet that is aggressive with another. We also have a hall with a gate incase we need to put a peer in the hall. AND WE HAVE A GATE at the front door incase they do get out away from us. You have no idea how much calmer the pets are.
                          If the pet comes to the shop in its own kennel we just put it on the floor and open it. then the dog has a choice if they want to stay in it or leave it. The dogs usually just play around or lay down or just watch us groom. I would not want to groom anywhere else.

there is no kennel shyness here, no pooing in a kennel no peeing in the kennel. I cant tell you how many times I have had rewash a dog due to throw up or poo or pee. ITS GREAT HERE

Its the same concept as a daycare for dogs. The moms and dads LOVE IT. We have anywhere from 3 to 9 dogs in the shop at one time. BUT also I must make a point We are always watching the dogs and being aware of things in the shop. I would not just leave any dog unattended with out another groomer watching the area.

I'm not saying this doesn't work for you, and I am not saying it has to be unsafe. But, I do have to question how you can watch and observe 9 dogs while also grooming dogs. If I offered group daycare like that, I would have two people watching 9 dogs and those two people would be doing nothing else but watching those dogs. The way you describe it, this is not a safe situation for either grooming or for daycare.

Comment

I work alone, in a very small shop. everything in one room. I usually take one dog at a time. when they are done, they run free. I have some wire cages, I use them to cage dry (some dogs not most). I dont let dogs from different homes run around together. so sometimes, someone is caged, but usually for a short time. I have some dogs that like to sit in the cage when they are done, of course they may. I have a couple dogs that cannot be caged til they are finished. I have never had a client complain. I keep my door locked so no one can come in and let a dog out. I have left dogs on the table, but always looped, neck and waist, and only if I know the dogs will stay still. this is what works for me and it is my niche. I like this slower paced and more intimate setting. I have stopped taking new clients to keep this situation ideal. now I do bring my new dog to the shop with me almost daily, she is the equivelent of the walmart greeter. she sits in the window and her whole body wiggles when she knows someone is coming to see her. she also has a cubby behind my counter if she wants peace and quiet. she is little timid of the big dogs and not real fond of the over excited puppies, but she love them all. I have caught her several times walking in an open cage where another dog is sitting. I try to discourage this and so far everyone has been happy. I believe I am safety conscious, I always have the dog and cats health and well being at the forefront of everything I do.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                              I'm not saying this doesn't work for you, and I am not saying it has to be unsafe. But, I do have to question how you can watch and observe 9 dogs while also grooming dogs. If I offered group daycare like that, I would have two people watching 9 dogs and those two people would be doing nothing else but watching those dogs. The way you describe it, this is not a safe situation for either grooming or for daycare.

We have 3 -4 groomers and a bather in the shop at all times. I am telling you it works out really great. We aren't a shop that has to GET EM IN GET EM OUT asap. We are a relaxed min. stress place. We believe in safety wholeheartedly. The dogs LOVE IT. the energy we put off in our shop is great. the moms and dads love us. We also do self wash and get lots of clients for that. Gosh, we even have a mobile unit that does really great. Even the University of Utah has a person who is over the research up there comes in and washes their dogs from research area. Vets recommend us. Like you all have said its not for everyone. It IS for us. I love it as well. I get to play with some of the dogs. YES, I still get my grooming in as does everyone else in a safe manner. I know I'm babbling but you all get the point.

Comment

Working...
                              X