Flea & Tick Control Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea & Tick Control Comparison

Ok who uses what on their dogs for ticks and fleas? I'm seeing Bio spot and Sentry pro in a comparison chart are better than frontline and advantix and they are cheaper. So why is it that frontline is more expensive but does less of a job?
    I use frontline plus but I would like to save my money and use something that is more effective even though I never had a problem with frontline plus.

I am not sure of the exacts of why frontline is more expensive, but I DO know that there are a LOT of dogs that have serious reactions to Bio Spot. When I was working at the vets, we saw 7 or 8 dogs/week come in with nasty reactions after having Bio Spot applied. You couldn't pay me to use their product. I will happily pay a bit more for Frontline and have my dogs remain safe and healthy than add on a vet bill for a reaction and have my pets in pain.

Comment

I have tried many different products, but the only one that really gets rid of all fleas and they stay away is frontline plus. At least for me, in this area, it works. Other brands I have used seem to work for a while...but then fleas are back before it is time to reapply. I have had many client dogs who had fleas and when I suggested they start a flea control program...they say, oh but I do...i use xxx. It is never frontline that they name. the vets here all recommend it. maybe different products work variably in differently locations.

Comment

I use the only best

We get on here & talk about our clients complaining our superior services cost too much, then turn around & say ____ is great but I want something superior to cost less.

Due to an infested apartment I moved into years ago, I have personally suffered the awful irritation of being covered in fleas. I do not want my dogs to have any fleas. And I have tried the off brands so I can tell my clients how they don't work.

I have to have Advantage & pay for it without compliant.

Erica

Comment

I use Bio Spot, and it does kill more that some other products from what I've heard. BUT, I also believe that it can wash off more than something like Frontline. And I also have heard that a lot of dogs have bad reactions to it. That being said my dogs have been on it for awhile with absolutely no problems. We also sell it at the shop that I work at, and I've never heard of any problems. And since it works great for my dogs I much prefer using it because it's soooo much cheaper.

My dogs were on Frontline for a while too, but I switched because of the price.
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Aussheplady I've seen alot of that too and with Hartz too. I love Frontline and Revolution.

Comment

I have to agree with Eli. I use Advantage. None of the other products work as well for me. I noticed that Eli is in Fl as I am, so it made me wonder if there was something to what Fur Elite said about different products working better in different areas.

Comment

Local flea populations build up resistance to whatever products they're being exposed to over time. That's why new products are always in development. In my area, Advantage and Frontline seem to be equally effective, for now. The other spot ons are not nearly as effective. Adam's spray is also very effective here, but you have to apply it more often than the spot ons.

I suppose it's worth it to try one of the other spot ons to see if it's effective against your local flea population. And watch for side effects and bad reactions, which can happen with any product. Even all natural ones.

Comment

I also love Frontline plus. I haven't seen great results with Biospot and it does wash off. Also, I have seen many dogs with reactions to Advantix. I've tried it on my own dogs (no reaction), but I'll stick to my Frontline. I've also heard good things about Advantage. Has anyone else noticed sometimes the fleas and ticks seem immune to everything? I know your not supposed to use Frontline 3 days before or 3 days after a bath. Does anyone know the protocol for the rest of the products?

Comment

Frnt;ine plus works the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by drubaby View Post
                      I also love Frontline plus. I haven't seen great results with Biospot and it does wash off. Also, I have seen many dogs with reactions to Advantix. I've tried it on my own dogs (no reaction), but I'll stick to my Frontline. I've also heard good things about Advantage. Has anyone else noticed sometimes the fleas and ticks seem immune to everything? I know your not supposed to use Frontline 3 days before or 3 days after a bath. Does anyone know the protocol for the rest of the products?
                      According the the manufacturers of Frontline and Advantage, you can apply the product as soon as the dog is completely dry. You don't have to wait. Unlike the cheaper products, these do not mix with the oils on the skin. They are absorbed into the sebaceous glands, where they wick back onto the coat and skin.

Comment

Non Chemical Flea Control - Completely Safe - Highly Effective

I would never, ever use any chemical such as those mentioned in the previous posts because of what I have seen in the past! Think about it . . .when you go outdoors do you apply fipronil or methoprene-S or imidacloprid to your skin? Look these chemicals up and you would be amazed at what you read. These chemicals get into our pets bloodstream and reak havoc on their liver, kidneys, and their entire nervous system. If it will kill any blood-born pest, why wouldn't it damage the environment you apply it on? Now having said that, I certainly don't want fleas and ticks on any of my own dogs either. I have spent years trying all kind of natural products to ward off the evil pests and have finally found a wonderful product that does just that. It's safe, effective, enhances the coat and is cost effective. Best of all it's guanteed or it's free!!! It works from the inside out. Give a tsp. a day to your pet (to include cats, dogs & horses) either in their water or food year round and never worry about these pests. I sell it in my grooming salon year round and my customers love it. It has a 99.8% effective rate. Since we cannot advertise on this board and if you are interested in learning more about this product, email me at [email protected]. I'll be happy to send you information.

Comment

What Helly said about local flea populations is correct according to Sales reps from the different companies who have come to the hospital and given talks. Thats one nice thing about working in a vet hosp. All those sales reps want to come give talks on their products and they usually bring pizza! (or breakfast)

Frontline and Advantix have been working equally well in my area until the end of the year last yr. We suddenly seemed to get sizable flea outbreak (like I havnt seen in yrs) and when asked, many of these dogs had been regularly using Frontline. That is just this area though and I know it can happen with any product.

Comment

I have for many years used Frontline, Advantage and now Advantix and have always had pretty good luck with them. However we have moved and are now in a rural area where I know ticks can be bad so of course I am using Advantix and guess what, three days after appling it to my short haired border collie mix I had 6 ticks to remove and at least 12 off of my rott/shep mix. I am not happy at all and will be calling the company this week. It says it works to prevent ticks from latching on, well these babies were latched on and having a good meal. I am not sure what to do now. Good luck to everyone on finding the product that works for you.

Comment

Revolution ??

I have a shih-tzu client with skin allergies. Frontline and Advantage seem to bother her skin. Her owner called the vet today to inquire about Revolution and they told her that it only lasts about 12 hours. Is this true and if it is, what can I suggest to her owner?

Comment

Working...
                              X