The End of my Career as a Groomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of my Career as a Groomer

I've been having back troubles on and off since I got into a car accident in October of 2005, and most recently had a serious run to the ER where we though I might have some spinal cord compression. Thankfully that was not the case, but the doctors (who have been hinting for a while that grooming may not be the best thing) have put their foot down and told me if I want a healthy back I need to stop grooming, period.

I'm at a loss... I love this industry so much and I've only been in it 2 years! But I'm very young (in my early 20s) and I need to have a healthy back for the (hopefully long) rest of my life. For the last six months I've only been grooming dogs 30lbs and under, and still I'm having issues. The doctors are confident that physical therapy and a change in profession will get me to a much more manageable place, but I'm having such a hard time letting go.

I know that if I'm going to commit to my own health that I need to stop grooming, and for my heart not to regularly break I will not be able to be on here for awhile. So thank you all for everything you have taught me, the support you've given me, and the kindness you've shared with me. I love you all, and will miss you, but for now I just can't be on this forum...
    My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

I am so sorry to read this. If there's anything I can do to keep you involved--maybe just to come to our meets or be involved in grooming and our classes or discussion groups,,I would love to have you. Grooming is a huge chunk of my life, and I can't imagine how I'd feel without it.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I'm so sorry!

That is heartbreaking. Good luck finding a new career.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your health problems

at 46 years of age, I'am in my 27th year of prof pet grooming
        maybe you can find some other career in the animal field that is less physical.
        good luck and feel better

Comment

I am so sorry - it hurts doesn't it? I might actually be in a similar position but more thanks to circumstance rather than health. Doesn't stop it hurting.

Keep us updated as to what you end up doing. Sometimes these things happen for a reason, you might find something really awesome!

Comment

AAaww, I'm so sorry you are going through this at an early age. I know how you feel as I'm having to plan my retirement due to tendonitis in my wrists and back problems too BUT I'm 62yrs, grooming over 40yrs. What can be excepted... I just hope you might be able to find something so you can still be involved in the dogs. Take care of yourself<<>>

Comment

I was medically retired from the Corps. My DH bought me a Hang-Ups for my back and I am now in better shape than I was when I was in the Corps. I'd try that and and a weight limit before quitting. One thing I did was educate myself on holistic healing and it has really helped me out. I do hope you heal so you can continue in this career path.

Comment

I feel for you my mother in law went through the same thing a few years ago even though she is older than you are it still broke her heart to leave this industry. After 2 surgeries she's getting around better but other back issues are still causing her problems. May be you coule continue attending shows and training so that you could teach other how to groom. This way your still in the field you love but without the stress. My MIL has trained several folks to groom with no issues. I do all the demos while she explains what is going on and helps so the girls what their doing wrong. It worked really well she quit teaching this year to care for her mother but I hope she'll come back long enough to train my daughter, since my girl won't listen to me, LOL

Good luck and get better
                "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

YUCK!!!! Im so sorry you are having all this trouble. What if you just take a while to heal. Then you can come back to it? Anyway. Good luck and may God bless and take care of you.
                  Last edited by greyhoundlover; 04-29-10, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry that you have this decision to make. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Comment

Please get a second opinion. Maybe even a third.

I'm not trying to second guess your doctors, but seriously, too many of us have had back surgery and been able to go right back to grooming after recovering. Some have had to limit the weight, some have to limit the number of hours they work, but they continue to groom. I'm one of them.

So get another opinion from a doctor you haven't seen before. Someone who'll look at your case from a fresh vantage point, without any preconceived notions about what you do for a living.

Comment

Listen to Helly, meanwhile I agree that teaching might be an answer, so sorry you have such problems so young.
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          Please get a second opinion. Maybe even a third.

I'm not trying to second guess your doctors, but seriously, too many of us have had back surgery and been able to go right back to grooming after recovering. Some have had to limit the weight, some have to limit the number of hours they work, but they continue to groom. I'm one of them.
                          I couldn't agree more. Remember my almost-identical post about this very thing I made in January? Well, I'm ba-ack! Proof that a: doctors don't know everything and b: it all depends on how bad you want it.

I'll be thinking of ya. Please let us know how you're coming along.
                          Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                          George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words and well wishes. I will keep you posted as things progress.
                            My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

When you have back problems, too much standing, too much sitting, too much walking, too much lifting all affect you.
                              I have back problems and the too much standing and too much lifting get to me. I had a 30 lb dog on Mon. I still feel the effects of lifting him on to the table and into the tub. Take care of your back !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X