Emotions and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotions and dogs

I was reminded on Sunday just how much dogs pick up about us. Sunday was not a great day for me emotionally. It doesn't happen often but there will be times when I'm just really sad and blue and even grooming doesn't bring me out of my funk. I haven't had a day like this since I started my mobile, but Sunday I was feeling pretty blue. I did 4 of my regular clients that day and I have to say, I was shocked at their behavior. Two Cavaliers that have always stood like statues were both all over the place, trying to dodge and climb. Refusing to stand up, etc. The third was a Bichon I've been grooming for almost 2 years now and he actually tried to bit me a few times. He has NEVER done that. There was the one time he had an abcessed tooth that he did try to nip when I touched his face, but this was showing me teeth and really going after me. He's an older buy and it was easy enough to dodge the teeth. But it was so strange. And then my last dog I showed up and though he usually tries to stay far away from me, this time he was shaking so much you could have mixed paint. It was a nice calm day weather wise. The ONLY thing different that day was ME. I wasn't my usual laid back, overly calm to the point of practically comatose self. I don't think I have ever raised my voice at any of the dogs in the mobile and I actually snipped at one to stand up. It wasn't loud, but it wasn't me either. It just amazes me how much my mood seemed to affect how they behaved. I remember I used to tell my coworker his dogs weren't calm in his table because he wasn't. He was always so stressed and a "go go go" type person. Love him to pieces, but i used to say "they are picking up on your stress" but I never realized just how true that all is.
    I am feeling more myself, so don't worry. I have a crazy English Springer Spaniel to do tonight. That should definitely whip me into shape! He's the sweetest thing, just doesn't know there are any rules in life. He knocked me down last time kissing me too hard! Oh well, love hurts.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

You are so right about that mylady. I have actually had days where I considered just packing it in and going home because every single dog was picking up on my emotions and acting really ungroomable. I have to be sooo careful on those days not to rush because those are the days where accidents could easily happen. But it's kind of funny, I have one dog I groom who I consider to be a kind of "touchstone" for me...it seems like whenever there is something really wierd or upsetting going on in my life, Charlie shows up on my schedule. Luckily we love each other. He doesn't care what kind of emotional shape I'm in, he is just sweet Charlie. And he always makes me feel better.

Comment

You are so right! My dogs misbehave more when I am sad or depressed. They read it as weakness and think they can get away with things. When I was working as a bather, the dogs were usually calmer in the evening when it was quieter, probably because I was calmer. The stress of my job used to get to me when everyone was around and customers were coming in and I think the dogs picked up on it. Dogs that would misbehave when things were more active were calm when it was quiet.

Comment

So sorry you were having a bad day but you are so right. i went to work after having afight with the hubby and was anger and depressed and wow did the dogs pick up on it. Of course that just made me mad at myself for letting me emotions ruin the one thing that always seems to center me.
        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Yep. I have days where it all seems to pile up emotionally and my sweet fur babies become stubborn, uncooperative and sensitive. I should just reschedule my clients on those days and stay home!

Comment

Originally posted by FurReal View Post
            But it's kind of funny, I have one dog I groom who I consider to be a kind of "touchstone" for me...it seems like whenever there is something really wierd or upsetting going on in my life, Charlie shows up on my schedule. Luckily we love each other. He doesn't care what kind of emotional shape I'm in, he is just sweet Charlie. And he always makes me feel better.
            That is the sweetest thing ever!!!

And on the topic of dogs and emotions, there are definitely days when I know the dogs pick up on my moods. But have any of you had a dog that had such great energy, so much power over YOUR mood instead of vice versa? There was one puppy that although I wasn't feeling particularly lousy, that totally did my soul good. I even went as far as telling a first time client that if she ever needed to rehome her dog I'd take it no problem because she soothed my soul, I can't even explain it.

Comment

So true. The leash is a telegraph wire, unfortunarly the dogs pick up more than we do. Glad your felling better.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I have a ritual that I try to do between each dog. I visualize negativity leaving my body through the soles of my feet, positve energy flowing into the top of my head and filling me up. I then picture it being strong in my hands so I can pass it on to the dog and I rub my hands together to activate it. Yah, I know...I'm weird, it calms me down and gets transfered...works for me.

Comment

I'm darn glad the owners (as a rule) don't pick up on that!

I have the rare day...like the one after I put my kitties to sleep, or "The Beet Morning", where all the groomies fly in the door, take one "sense" of me, and turn around screaming at their owners "RESCHEDULE, RESCHEDULE!".

I'm like..."hey, you guys have had those days on me, I get to have one on you from time to time".

The owners leave, and when I turn around to look at the line-up of mussy little faces in their kennels....I swear they are all glaring at me, like "bring it on Lady". How comforting.
                  Last edited by 4Sibes; 04-28-10, 04:17 PM. Reason: schpelling era
                  Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I have had a couple days like this. The first time this happened I couldn't figure out why my "angel" dogs were misbehaving. I didn't even realize how upset I was til I noticed how the dogs wee reacting to me.

On the other hand there have been days that I am skipping in the clouds and the dogs will respond to that too.
                    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I've explained this to people before, and I can't tell if they believe me or just think I'm crazy when I say, "The dogs can sense the way you're feeling." I do get frustrated pretty easily at times, and boy does it show through whatever dog I'm working with at the time. Usually when I'm sad though, the dogs seem to work easier with me. Maybe it's because although I'm feeling ******, I'm super mellow.

Comment

When my little Chihuahua went to Heaven I went to work that day. I was bawling so hard my eyes were killing me. I had my shades on because it hurt not to. As I finished a schnauzer the shop owner said I for got to tell you he bites everybody for everything. I think the old boy could tell how I felt & gave me a break that day.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I think emotions are a reason that some dogs respond better to different groomers. Today I groomed a Schnauzer that used to belong to another client and go to one of the other groomers at my work. The Schnauzer changed owners and, as a result, changed groomers. This dog was AWFUL for the other groomer. He was so high strung and he would literally thrash and freak out several times throughout the grooming. He doesn't do that for me. I don't try to groom as many dogs as the other groomer. She works best when she is stressed and under pressure. I am the exact opposite, I am very relaxed. He is still high strung but he doesn't work himself up anymore. In correlation there are a few of the dogs I groom that behave better for her. I can't seem to figure out those Shih Tzus that are passive-aggressive.
                          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                            When my little Chihuahua went to Heaven I went to work that day.
                            I admire you...I know for a fact I couldn't do that. Sheesh...the one time my former roommate accidentally left the back door open and he walked out? I'd only had him for two months and I was inconsolable. I couldn't even function being around other dogs being reminded my baby wasn't waiting for me at home.
                            There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                            X