How do you decide.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you decide.....

which blade to use under combs? I have the SS Wahl combs...I know I cannot use a 40 blade....but being sort of new I was wondering if there is a method to deciding which blade. 10? 15? 30?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Bradymom View Post
    which blade to use under combs? I have the SS Wahl combs...I know I cannot use a 40 blade....but being sort of new I was wondering if there is a method to deciding which blade. 10? 15? 30?

Thanks in advance!
    When I purchased my ss combs I was told Wahl recommends use with a 30 blade.

Comment

I will use anything from a 9 to a 30. I will play with the blades to see which one cuts an individual dogs coat the best or if I decide I want to go a smidge shorter I will change blades (like from a 10 to a 15 or 30).
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I prefer the 30, but I was having blade drive and blade issues the other day and in desperation I used a 9 (hate the 9, never use it for anything); it worked great. This was on a long coat that had some matting and tangles that I was taking down with an 0 comb, and it powered right thru the tangles, allowing me to do a quick brush and comb, then back over to finish, a little scissoring, and an amazing finish. This dog had always been a 10 strip. (looked like a scwt).

Comment

Thanks!

This is what I needed to hear!

I was grooming a 'designer dog' yesterday....slightly cottony coat....I was using a 30 blade under the purple comb and it was getting jammed up in the cotton.
          Gosh that coat was dry and tangled sooooo easily!

I switched to a 10 under and seemed a whole lot better. I just wasn't sure what others experienced have been and if there is some secret formula to which I have not been privy to! LOL!

Hmmmm....maybe I need to get a 9 blade.

Comment

I always use a 30...

Comment

My sharpener told me because of the way the teeth are set, you will get through the thicker coats or coats that might still have a bit of matting in them a lot easier with a ten or 15 under the comb, rather than a 30. He also said it will save your blade. This would be after I ruined a 30 blade on a doodle. Now I mostly use a ten blade under them.

Comment

Working...
              X