Separation Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation Anxiety

One of my clients has a bichon who is about 1 1/2 years old. She lives in a condo and was just told by management that her upstairs neighbor called to complain that when she isn't home he cries the whole time.
    Now, she is an older woman, maybe in her 60's, so she's not out partying everynight and is usually home by 9pm when she does go out. But she doesn't want to feel like she CAN'T go out whens he wants to.
    He spends his days when she works at doggy daycare. When he's home without her she leaves the TV, radio, and one of her shirts out for him with her scent on it. She doesn't know what else to do for him. I told her I would ask for suggestions. She did get one of those bark things that, if he barks, will emit a high-pitched (only dogs can hear) correction, but he's not barking, he's whining and crying.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Is she allowed another dog or cat? Can she afford daycare a couple times/week?

Comment

oops - sorry didn't read clearly.

I replied about daycare and see that she has him in daycare... hope she finds a solution.

Comment

I would still suggest it (the barkbuster type thing). Along with telling her to take short trips whenever she can and ignore the dog when she gets home, going about her daily life until he has calmed down, and stopped begging for attention. It will work if she is diligent about it.
        Last edited by pinkgroomer; 04-26-10, 04:22 PM. Reason: It was unclear :)

Comment

Cesar did a show about a family in the same situation, they were about to get evicted from their apartment cause of their dogs constant crying and whining while they were gone. Cesar's answer, excerise. He had the lady walking the dog in the morning before she went to work, walking him when she got home. Can't remember the rest of the details, but it worked for that family. Maybe she should get his book or look on his webiste for help?? He always says a well balanced dog starts with excerise, discipline, then love. I tend to agree, seems dogs who are treated like humans, not like dogs ,are always the worst behaved,,,lol

Comment

I used to shut mine up by putting them in a pen with a nice, juicy soup bone. Big ol' knuckle bone with chunks of meat on it. And I'd make sure they were good and hungry before I left.

After while, they could hardly wait for me to split.

Comment

I think her neighbor needs to find something to occupy themselves with instead of complaining about a dog whining!
              My neighbors would have a field day about my dogs if they wanted and I live in a house!!
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                I used to shut mine up by putting them in a pen with a nice, juicy soup bone. Big ol' knuckle bone with chunks of meat on it. And I'd make sure they were good and hungry before I left.

After while, they could hardly wait for me to split.

I agree that making her leaving something the dog will look forward to! Be it a knuckle bone or a Kong stuff with his favorite goodies. He needs to associate her leaving with GOOD things Positive re-enforcement!

Comment

Other anxious behaviors with this

On the show Cesar did with this type of problem, he basically said there are other problems that these dogs display, and if you tackle these other problems, the anxious whining when left is much more easily addressed.

Yes, one thing was exercise, but he also showed the owners about eliminating other bothersome behavior and taking a calm leadership role.

I do think a bark-buster thingy could help since this dog already does daycare. Other than that, she may want to contact a trainer, maybe even set up a video and intercom?

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
                    Cesar did a show about a family in the same situation, they were about to get evicted from their apartment cause of their dogs constant crying and whining while they were gone. Cesar's answer, excerise. He had the lady walking the dog in the morning before she went to work, walking him when she got home. Can't remember the rest of the details, but it worked for that family. Maybe she should get his book or look on his webiste for help?? He always says a well balanced dog starts with excerise, discipline, then love. I tend to agree, seems dogs who are treated like humans, not like dogs ,are always the worst behaved,,,lol

My dog trainer's favorite saying was "If you treat your dog like a human, he will treat you like a dog."

Comment

She wasn't even aware that he was doing this because she has never heard him. He plays hard at daycare and is there 6-7 days a week so I am thinking he is getting lots of exercise. She doesn't baby him actually. He shakes when I get there to groom him and she'll look at him and say "Oh get over it" LOL not coddle him and tell him everything is fine like so many. She said she won't get another dog, she travels a lot and he goes with her and only on the plane if she can take him in the cab with her, so another dog would not make that very possible. He is probably one of the best dogs I groom. I've been grooming him since he was 8 weeks old and see him every 3-4 weeks. He stands like a statue and I can do anything with him. She says her neighbors wife likes to run the vacuum at 10pm at night but she's never complained and now she may change her mind on that one.
                      I will tell her to try to take him for a walk before she has to go anywhere. Maybe tuckering him out will be the answer, though you'd think I ran him on a treadmill for hours on end the way he acts when I'm done grooming him. He just passes out!.
                      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Well, there ya go. Tell her the only time she can go out is on the days when he's groomed.
                        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

MyLady.....You got some good suggestion here.

I really like the idea of the soup bone....and I would up that by even feeding him his dinner that way. He goes in the crate, dinner is served in the crate, she walks out the door for 5 to 10 minutes, returns.....if food is not finished, she picks that up and he isn't feed until his next meal time. He is ONLY feed in the crate and ONLY when she isn't in the house....as DoubleDogDare said..."he will be begging her to leave".

I would then extend the time she leaves and leave him with something that lasts longer....i.e. the soup bone or stuffed kong. There is even a little machine that you load up with 4 kongs and pre-set the timer. The kongs are spit out at various intervals, so if you are gone for hours, your dog can have a fresh kong every 2 hours for instance.

I would also agree with more exercise. Or let's say, More STRUCTURED exercise. Take him for some good long walks....as Cesar says "Dogs have to migrate"....while he is getting lots of exercise at daycare, it is playing. A good walk, were she is calling the shots, as in "we are NOT stopping to wet on every bush. We are not going to have you drag me down the street, etc etc"

Be aware thou....I have an 11 year old Bichon and he can be walked for MILES and still come home and do donuts in the living room. And I do mean MILES....2 to 6 miles is about average for us.

I would start him in an obedience/agility class. Something that would work his mind. They are smart dogs and a good brain workout is fabulous for them. It would give her something else to practice on those walks she will take him on....sit and stay by this barking dog. See the cat....Rover COME! Heel, sit, heel, sit, about turn, sit...down...stay.... keep him guessing.

With respect to you MoonPie, I do have to respectfully disagree with you. Others SHOULD NOT have to put up with the noise our dogs make. I think the neighbor has a right to complain, and this owner is kind enough to understand that and want to do something about it. She just wasn't aware her dog was making noise while she was gone....now she is and she is looking for a solution to the problem. I say that is a VERY responsible dog owner!

Hope some of this helps....keep us posted on how things work out.

namaste....dogma

Comment

I agree with everything Dogma said, and will add this. What the dog is experiencing is probably not seperation anxiety. That term refers to something totally different than what's happening here.

The dog just doesn't know what he's supposed to do when left alone. If he's given a "task" (that soup bone to work at, for example) he'll get the idea that he's supposed to be quiet and enjoy his treat. A treat that should be reserved for times when he's alone, and nothing else.

I also agree with Dogma regarding the neighbor. I'm a dog lover, but my neighbors had a little mixed breed dog that yapped constantly. It's annoying when you can't sit on your deck and talk on the phone because you can't hear what's being said.

Comment

anxiety

Has she tried contacting a trainer? Do you have any that you can recommend to her? This is really their department not a groomers.

Comment

Working...
                              X