Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from South Korea!!! :D

I'm back! Did ya miss me?

I am so glad to be home in my OWN bed! Best sleep I've had in ... a long time. The beds Asians sleep on are like rocks, I LITERALLY have a bruise on each hip bone! Other than that it was excellent, I had a great time.

I got to stay with an old friend and her family. She cooked a hot Korean breakfast for us every morning, of rice, buchimgae (veggie style "pancake"), kimchee, various veggies, seaweed (sorry but I LOVE that stuff!), tiny little korean style anchovies. I like the anchovies, I would pretend they were talking, "Noooo, don't eat me! Don't eat me!" She thought I was a ding dong! My husband refused them, what a sissy! LOL

We went all over the place, including to Sak Sa San, a huge temple in Sokcho which is on the East Coast. This Buddhist temple is a national treasure, and it nearly burned down 5 years ago, thankfully the temple went undamaged. There is a huge Buddha statue as well. This Buddha was skinny compared to the often-seen fat Buddha. I told my husband this Buddha was skinny because he had to hike so freakin' far up the mountain to stand there as a statue. Think he believed me? I am a Christian but I love to see historical things like this. It is very old, too.

I got to go to church and I walked in just as the meeting had started. Nobody there knew I was coming and hadn't seen me in 10 years. When I walked in, I think every eye in the room turned toward me and my husband, and everybody smiled huge. It was so good to see them! My Korean bishops were there (the first one and the one that became the bishop before I left). Their wives. All of the children had grown up. My old Korean significant other was there too. He was more shocked than anybody, lol. It was good to chat with him. We went to his house and visited his father, who remembered me right away, and his brother, sis-in-law, and his 93 year old grandma, whose birthday it was. She remembered me and said, "I am wearing the pants you gave me." Sure enough, she just happened to have the pants on that I gave her years ago. She could barely talk or move.

Let's see, we went to Yeo Joo, a place to buy homemade pottery, beatiful pottery. I bought some rice bowls and matching soup bowls and chopstick rests. We ate duck meat there, it was delicious!

We also went to Nam-ee-san, a beautiful island where you can ride bikes and generally enjoy beautiful scenery. We also went to a Korean old-time folk village and took many photos of this. It was neat to see the way they used to live, how they heated their homes (they had "Ondol" which is heated floors, and they would heat the floors with hot water). This was all while American people froze to death in their homes with nothing but a fire going! LOL They still use Ondol today, but they use electricity to run them now. They don't have vent heaters in their homes.

We shopped in the Beck-wa-jum (shopping mall) in Chun Chon where I used to live, it's an outdoor shopping mall, it's great. It rained a lot though, but it was still fun.

All in all I had a blast but the flight was 30 hours (including layovers and various plane changes), and we don't sleep much on planes so it was ...HELL. LOL, to put it bluntly. Nightmare!

Anyway, I will post photos when Iget a moment.

Love ya all!

Tammy back in Utah again
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Glad to hear you made it back safely. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I bet your husband enjoyed seeing So. Korea from a local perspective. So often when we travel it is just the tourist sites. Hard to get a real flavor of how the people live when you are just visit tourist sites.

Comment

Hey sounds like you had tons of fun. I HATE Kimchee. My ex went to Korea for 2 tours and he ate it all the time. There is a Korean store in Ogden we would go to get a bottle of it. NASTY worse than liver and I HATE LIVER. but hey I am glad you got to go back and visit all your friends you left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhoundlover View Post
        Hey sounds like you had tons of fun. I HATE Kimchee. My ex went to Korea for 2 tours and he ate it all the time. There is a Korean store in Ogden we would go to get a bottle of it. NASTY worse than liver and I HATE LIVER. but hey I am glad you got to go back and visit all your friends you left behind.
        Kimchee is not something most people like on a few tries. Even me. I did not like it at first. And, I don't like all of the kimchee I've eaten. Sometimes it's better than others, and it really depends on WHO made it and the freshness of the ingredients. I prefer fresh kimchee over "winter kimchee" that is stored all winter. But that's just me.

But Korean food is not just kimchee. Have you had Korean BBQ? BuChimgae (Korean potato cakes and veggie pancakes)? Oh they're all so good!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

mmm bulgogi! Glad you had such a good time and are back!

Comment

Welcome ack! What did you bring me?
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Bringing back memories.....I have a nasty scar on my right forearm from an Ondol stove.....spent two tours there with my ex hubby. Once in Tokkori (not spelled right) with him stationed at Camp Hovey, and one in Ang Juni (again not spelled right) while he was stationed at Camp Humphreys. My kids attended PyongTek elementary.......Kimchee is differnet too depending on what part of the country you are in. In fact the FOOD is different depending on which part of the country you are in. My fave dish was Omrice from a restaurant in Tokkori, and a side dish from the people I rented from last time of soaked, spicy beansprouts. Funny too that the yakiMando (fried dumplings) taste different depending on where you are.......

Memories.......
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Didn't miss you

too much since you stopped to give us updates. What a fun trip. Guess your hubby is secure enough in you love that he was fine with visiting your ex and his family. Good for him - and you. It's been nice hearing your stories. I wonder if Spike smelled that you were in Korea?

All that flying and stopovers. Not fun, but done. And crummy beds? Do they feel stronger or something for not sleepping in comfort.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

How freaking fun!!!! I did miss you, just not a lot......lol...j/k!!

Where are the pictures????? We want to see pictures!!!
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                    How freaking fun!!!! I did miss you, just not a lot......lol...j/k!!

Where are the pictures????? We want to see pictures!!!
                    We tried to re-size them unsuccessfully. We'll keep trying. Right now, though, we've been "recovering" from the jet jag, and now my nephew has had his wedding dinner (last night) and his wedding and reception tonight, so we've been real busy. Funeral tomorrow for a boy at church (muscular distrophy, lived 16 years longer than he should have, at 18 years old!), so we'll be busy this weekend.

I wanna lay around and do nothing!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                    X