Where do you start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you start?

OK, for those that have been published, how did you do it? Once you have the written material, where do you go from there? I'm not finished with something that I started a while ago, but I figure one day I will and I'd like to know what to do before then. If you've published a book, is it self published or did you need to submit it to someone to have published? I kind of work on this for a while, then put it aside for a while, then come back to it. I don't work on it everyday or anything like that, so who knows when it will be ready and who knows if it will be any good, but hey, I'm having fun and I think it will be helpful if I get it finished.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

What is the subject?

Is it fiction or non fiction? Autobiography? What? I bet it is good, because you write a great thread. I think if you plan top sell it, you need a publisher. If you just want it for friends and family I think you can find someone to bind it into a book. But may I have your autograph and a copy now before you get famous?

Comment

There are a couple of things to do:
      If it is a narrow market (grooming, etc) then your best bet is to self-publish. It requires a small investment but you can recoup it quickly instead of all of the time required sending it to publishers, meeting with publishers, etc.

Also file for an ISBN number. This is the "International Standard Book Number" it identifies your book and helps to protect your title, etc. Plus, it is filed with the Library of Congress.

Comment

It is non-fiction and grooming related
        When you self publish, is that something you would do at an office store or a print shop? And what is the best way to promote it?

Comment

Another question. After leafing through a few books written by groomers I saw some amazing pictures. Do you usually hire a photographer or do you normally take your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
            There are a couple of things to do:
            If it is a narrow market (grooming, etc) then your best bet is to self-publish. It requires a small investment but you can recoup it quickly instead of all of the time required sending it to publishers, meeting with publishers, etc.

Also file for an ISBN number. This is the "International Standard Book Number" it identifies your book and helps to protect your title, etc. Plus, it is filed with the Library of Congress.
            I believe this is the same thing as a copyright. I have several myself (small things really but wrote them years ago) that is how I got my 'isbn' but it was referred to as a copyright then.. check into it, maybe it has changed 'titles'

Comment

I am glad you started this post, I was wondering the same thing. After getting Ellen's book and speaking with her-she is awesome btw!-gave me inspiration to continue with mine. Not grooming related though, mine is fantasy fiction, I might throw something dog in it though. My writing is better than what I post here, lol. I am usually awake when I work on my book, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RPS View Post
                I believe this is the same thing as a copyright. I have several myself (small things really but wrote them years ago) that is how I got my 'isbn' but it was referred to as a copyright then.. check into it, maybe it has changed 'titles'
                Actually it isn't the same thing at all. When you open any book that your purchased at a large store you will see both things- 1) a Copyright statement with the circled c and an ISBN number. An ISBN number must be purchased through one of the Government assigned provider (I think there are about 150) just search ISBN and you will find one. You can purchase a single number or a block of 10 and they can be used on books or videos. To copyright your book, put a C and a copyright statement with dates- to get an ISBN you must do more and actually will provide more.

As far as publishing just search self publishing. I do know of people who have just printed and spiral bound their book their self or send it off and get it published. I personally use instantpublisher.com and so did Ellen.

As far as pictures you can use your own photos but remember the more color the more expensive to print. You can also purchase photos or clipart off of a website. Make sure that if you buy clipart or photography that you pay for the rights and it is royalty free. Most photo websites average a couple of hundred dollars for a several photos or cliparts that you have the rights to use and in a resolution that is good to reproduce.

To self publish a book, get an ISBN and have the correct rights to any photos you should expect to spend around $1000.00 for about 250 copies, 100 pages and only covers being in color.

I hope this info helps.

Comment

I am NOT an author but locally there is one. He writes 'how to ' books on gardening. He told me that after he writes his story - he fished around for a printing company...he found one nearby. Of course the price depends on how many books you are printing.

He later went to the very local places that deal in gardening and asked if they would sell his books...they do. Several times a year he has a book signing.

He now makes money off it...at first no. It took years to establish himself over time but now the locals know him and just buy his books. They sell the same price you would pay at a regular book store.

I love your motivation mylady, I think its great you are looking ahead. You might have that book printed and ready to sell in Hershey in a couple of years!

Comment

Working...
                  X