No announcement yet.

Random cocker spaniel health question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random cocker spaniel health question?

Hello,
    My cocker spaniel developed a black spot on her withers in the past 2 months. Her hair is a little coarser than the rest of her. She is completely brown with black on her ears and face..and on her withers. The only hair that is coarse is on her withers and it is a teardrop in shape...Just wondering if this could be some sort of health problem or if it is normal for them to develop this? She is approx. just over 2 years old
    I groomed a cocker spaniel with the same thing but it was older and it's hair was very thin and very coarse in the same spot on the withers...
    Thanks

is it right behind the shoulder blades on both sides? or is it only one spot? I have noticed (mostly shedding breeds) that some dogs have a different texture of hair running right behind their shoulder blades, also seem to shed more there, have also noticed that on breeds w/ alopecia, it seems to start there. Sometimes it is a health issue (hyper or hypothyroidism)causing the alopecia, sometimes it is just alopecia. If it is only the one spot could be some trauma to the skin happened there, could be she scraped it or bruised it pretty bad, but not bad enough to see through the hair, sometimes that trauma can make the hair grow back a different texture and even a different color for a while. Pics would probably be more helpful
    I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
    -Michelangelo

Comment

it's not a very good picture since it's on my phone..i left my camera at work..
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like normal guard hairs; on a sable cocker, the black guard hairs are coarser than the red/buff under color.

Comment

Do you apply Frontline, Advantage, or anything similar in that region?
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
            No we don't...

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
              ditto to this! I was thinking it was more on the sides for some reason. It looks exactly like a liquid being dropped over that spot. Could also be a vaccine reaction.
              I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
              -Michelangelo

Comment

Does she go in and out a doggy door? I have seen similar looking spots when dogs rub through a dog door or other such thing.

Comment

Being a sable, it could just be her coloring as someone said, But cockers do have a lot of issues with thyroid, so a thyroid panel might be a good idea. The thyroid panel is more accurate that just a simple t-4 test.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Did she ever have any type of hot spot or injury in this area? Before I saw the pict I was imagining a smaller mark that may have been a scar from a hotspot that you didn't notice. W/an area this large though you would have definitely notice a hotspot or wound.

I have several groom dogs that have developed areas (though I honestly don't think any are quite this large) like this for no apparent rhyme or reason.

A thyroid pannel may be a good idea.
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

We don't have a dog door hmm. We will definitely do a thyroid panel..
                      We didn't really notice it because her hair was long and it use to be brown then started having that dark tint underneath then we shaved her and it keeps getting bigger!
                      Thanks everyone.

Comment

The color change is typical in sable, but also, if he scratches at all in that area, it can pluck the hair out, causing the area to growin darker and coarser. Gotta agree with Edderland though. Looks normal to me. Thyroid USUALLY manifests in thinner, unilateral, and symmetrical hair loss. This dog is not showing that. IT is ALSO usually in the hip area and throat to begin with.
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BoscoandKoda View Post
                          We don't have a dog door hmm. We will definitely do a thyroid panel..
                          We didn't really notice it because her hair was long and it use to be brown then started having that dark tint underneath then we shaved her and it keeps getting bigger!
                          Thanks everyone.
                          how short are you shaving her back? I have found this to happen with many breeds that have been shaved regularly too short

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                            how short are you shaving her back? I have found this to happen with many breeds that have been shaved regularly too short
                            we used a 9 i believe..

Comment

Working...
                            X