Yet Another How Many A Day Thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another How Many A Day Thread....

But this time I want to know if you use a bathing system or wash by hand or have a bather, do you force, fluff, kennel dry or any combination thereof? Do you use finishing products like quick dry or the stuff? Do you use a clipper Vac? All drop off by a certian time or staggered appointments?

I'm wondering for 2 reasons, first is I wanna know how I stack up No Bathing system or bather or clipper vac and can do 10 or so a daywith staggerd appontments.
    Second is that I COMB the internet, looking at folks sites and any grooming pics I can get my grubby little mouse on and check out the grooms. I have seen some A-MAZING grooms, and I've seen some not so spectacular ones. I can honestly say my grooms are about the middle of the pack. I have worked my tushie off to get to average (wow never thought about it that way before). I see some very nice pet trims (ie: not compitition or show grooming) that are awesome. I see 2 inch legs on doodles and poodles and things that take my breath away and I don't know if I live to bee 345 years old if I could ever get my legs to look like that. But I wanna try, I wanna get better. I think I know my faults and I try to work on them (comb comb sissor scissor comb comb, I tend to skip 2 or 3 of those combs but I am combing more and more).

I know I prolly want to much, I want to be fast AND good. I HAVE to make good money to keep a roof over my kids heads and food in their mouths and all that other single mommy stuff.

and let me guess....you drink caffeinated coffee?

Chickie...Welcome, cuz I may have missed your intro. That's alot of questions, and you are right...they are all very popular questions...but no harm in asking.

I....have a bather and a Hydro-surge recirc, use Hv's, fluff and fan dry, use The Stuff (and other products), and have staggered drop off's from 8:30 am to 10 am.

My bather and I combined turn about 8 to 10 dogs a day around...and we've been doing this for years, but don't have kids to feed or roofs to worry about, so as far as "stacking up"...ya got us beat.

I don't really worry about how we "stack up" against other groomers...because it's all so interchangeable depending on where you operate, how the economy in your area is, and how discriminating the clientele is.

It sounds like you are doing just fine for yourself...and remember, at one point in time...every single one of us did those "not so spectacular grooms". In fact I'm pretty sure I'll be doing one on an aggressive SCWT tomorrow.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I work at a vet clinic, so I dont have to deal w/ phones or checking clients in/out bc the receptionists do that. I do talk to new clients, clients who haven't been in for a while, and clients that want something different. I don't have a bathing system, just a tub w a hose. I have some cage dryers, usually try to HV dry as much as possible, unless its a dog who will not tolerate it. I do use The Stuff & Ice on Ice. I get to work @ 730 and my first appointment is at 8am. They are staggered until 1pm. I usually do 7 but will do more of some are short-haired baths or easy grooms. I will also do less if I know a dog coming in takes longer. The receptionists have an idea of what dogs take longer & what ones I can "squeeze in" I do look at my schedule at least once a day to get an idea of whats coming up in the next week or two. That way I can add/remove appointments if I need to. I'm usually done cleaning & out of work by 430 but it can be earlier/later depends on how the dogs behave & condition they are in. My day tomorrow; Brussels Griffon, Toy Poodle, Min Schn, LH Doxi, 2 ShihTzus for grooms then Lab, Min Pin & SH Doxi for baths I also have an American Eskimo, she comes every 2 weeks, drops off @ 730, picks up @ 5pm so I bathe & dry/quick brush her first then finish brushout after everybody else is done.

Comment

good question...

I hear of insane groomers who plow through 30 dogs a day... but I know they can't be doing things the way I do... just not possible.

I like 7. I can do 8 smaller dogs, but 7 goes smoother. We also have drop in nail trimming, phones to answer, customers to deal with... no bathers, no secretary, although the owner does do a lot of the cash register.

Almost all my dogs get hand dried... I've taken to doing them start to finish as i'm practicing for house-call grooming. I used to put dogs with double coats, or wiry terriers in the kennel with air blowing on them (no heat) but I still had to hand dry some of the dog. I do the HV with the towel thing... then towel dry the edges of ears, and the face/ tail, feet, etc really really well. HV AND use the stand dryer while brushing. Most of my grooms are a blade on the body and a snap on on the legs...

I hand wash everything... just got a bathing system for my housecall grooming ,but I found it didn't really save much time in the shop. we use a leave in spray conditioner... so that's fast.

hope that helps.

Comment

No coffee, Mt Dew and iced tea =)
          Sorry I haven't reintroduced myself, I've been reading the board for years and have posted here and there. I live in GA and have been grooming for 15 years, grew up going to dog shows, mother was a professional handler, she judges now. I should be better than I am with that background BUT I didn't pay attention when I was a kid and had very little actual training in pet grooming. I am self taught for the most part with a bit of apprenticeship thrown in here and there. I can say that my background has given me a leg up on handling skills and knowing structure and having an "eye".

I was sorta kidding about stacking up. And I totally get what you mean about the not so great grooms. I have learned not to judge single grooms in a vacuum, because I do a few naughty and/or special needs dogs myself that if I were to be judged on those grooms alone I would be a fail, or dogs that the owners want some rediculous clip (fabulous silver standard poo male with great coat 2 inches a/o with a 2 inch ball at the end of his perfect length tail )
          Let me also state that that the sites I look at don't all belong to board members. I just put dog grooming in google search and go from there.

Comment

6 a day

On other threads, there are some groomers like you and there are many who are not as fast and who like to do only 5-6 per day.

I was NEVER a fast groomer, but I do sometimes find myself doing 8-9 dogs in a day just to keep up with the calls. No bather.

So it sounds like you are doing great - the thing about improving on things like scissoring is that you need time to fuss, and with 10 a day on your own, you don't have time. So you fuss on the slow days, lol.

Comment

Anywhere from three to five a day, though someone sometimes doesn't cancel or doesn't show up, so sometimes I just have one or two dogs to do. We wash by hand and towel and then HV dry. If the dog is still dampish we put a crate dryer (no heat) in front of their crate.
              Last edited by Meaghan; 04-23-10, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I can do about 6(sometimes more) dogs a day...
                I greet and take in the customer, no bather, clipper vac..
                On average it takes me a hour and a half to do a small dog...(not including bathing/drying time)
                i bathe my dogs first then dry them for about 10min then put them in a cage with a dryer (no heat)

Comment

Depends

I'm usually alone only have a bather when my kids aren't in school. Have a homemade bathing system , but will hand wash some. Have a no heat cage dryer but only use it if the dogs hate the HV, Other than that hand dry and I can do about 8-10 a day depending on the dogs. Now that's not usually all grooms usually one or two bath onlys. Sounds like your doing fine, everyone is different and it takes time to build speed. I'm much faster than the women that works in the shop part time. Just all about the individual.

Good luck and welcome
                  "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                  and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                  www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I don't do 10 every day, I prefer to do 6 to 8, but with the economy the way it is there were plenty of days this past winter that I was lucky to have 4, so gotta make hay when the sunshines ya know?

I love to have time to fuss with the groom, but it's rare that I have a dog that has good coat and will stand well. I have a great looking bichon with awesome coat, but she thinks shes a bouvier with ADD the way she dances on the table, so that takes all the fun out of it.

Kepp em coming, I love knowing how other groomers gitRdone =)

Comment

Its just me the Brusher/Bather and 1 Groomer. And I have a Bathing Beauty bathing system, I use that on the big dogs and I like to bath the little dogs by hand. I towel dry first and then blow them off with a air no heat blower. Then depending what kind of dog they are they go on the table for the rest of the fluffing or into a crate for a little more drying.

We like doing 8 to 10 dogs a day but we have done up to 12. We are beat to all heck with that amount.

Comment

I did 2 yesterday and it took me 6 hours!!! LOL!! I'm totally new to grooming, so that's just where I am right now. I'm only grooming on Saturdays here at my home. I have TOTAL respect for those of you who groom more than 5 dogs a day. I can't even imagine me being to that point, but I know with practice and experience, I'll be able to do it. My husband said to me..."Good Job"...you worked 6 hours and made $60.00. He was making fun of me, but hey, that's $10 an hour. I could get a part time job making $10 an hour, but I'd be working for someone else, and I wouldn't get to be at home! Just curious...when all of you were newbies, how many a day did you start out doing??

Comment

I am happy with 6 dogs per day , No bather system ,but some days I do have a bather(when I have large dogs).I fluff dry and kennel dry with a fan( for condensation) all dogs and cats.I use no products for speeding drying time.If you have decent pricing you should not have to kill yourself to make a living at it.

Comment

Originally posted by deberdoo View Post
                            I did 2 yesterday and it took me 6 hours!!! LOL!! I'm totally new to grooming, so that's just where I am right now. I'm only grooming on Saturdays here at my home. I have TOTAL respect for those of you who groom more than 5 dogs a day. I can't even imagine me being to that point, but I know with practice and experience, I'll be able to do it. My husband said to me..."Good Job"...you worked 6 hours and made $60.00. He was making fun of me, but hey, that's $10 an hour. I could get a part time job making $10 an hour, but I'd be working for someone else, and I wouldn't get to be at home! Just curious...when all of you were newbies, how many a day did you start out doing??
                            I think I'm where you are, lol. 10.00 an hour sounds pretty good to me right now, considering I just spent the last 4 months working for a local vet; thinking I'm going to learn to be a vet assistant, but being a cleaning lady instead for minimum wage. If I just do 1 dog a day for 4 days a week I'll make more that what I was making at the clinic, working myself silly with no breaks ( not exactly what I left my photography business for ). After much encouragement from family and friends I decided to go for it and start my own small scale grooming shop.
                            Debi
                            http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
                            My life is lived in the company of dogs

Comment

Working...
                            X