A cocoa Maltese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cocoa Maltese?

Just came from my dentist where the receptionist claims she has a cocoa Maltese. She showed me a tiny cell phone picture and I really couldn't tell what it was but it's hair looked thick and it's about 14 weeks old.

Has anyone every heard of such a thing of course they said they found it on the internet.

There is no end to what you can find on the internet!

Kat

Comment

Many, many, many years ago Maltese were like Samoyeds - they came in a variety of colors and markings. That is, until it was decided by the powers-that-be in the dog world (the Brits) the only acceptable color for the breed was to be bridal white and nothing else. In a very old dog book I have there are actually photos of Maltese that were not white, and references made to a once-popular red-and-white coloration which at one time was quite fashionable.

Ditto for Sams, where the color much preferred by the original Siberian developers of the breed was black with a white splotch on the chest, preferrably in the shape of a cross. Such dogs were considered sacred. It was the Brits who took it upon themselves to designate white as the purtiest color and the only acceptable one. And the rest of the world bought into the British nonsense on the matter.

And that is your dose of trivia for the day.

Comment

Expounding on the above...it's entirely possible that the dog is a throw-back. It happens now and then whenever a breed standard is developed that disqualifies all but a few colors or markings. The gene still exists, but breeders have been selecting against it for so long that very few dogs remain that still carry it. All it takes is for two of those dogs to pair up, and voia la, we have a throw-back to a color from the past. That's probably what happened with the Bewier Yorkies.

Of course it's also possible there was dog of another breed hiding in the woodpile...or a sneaky neighbor dog.

Comment

Here's some mention of the old days when Maltese came in other colours:

http://www.annasheavenlymaltese.com/maltese_FAQs.html

Comment

I think throwbacks are often possible. It is indeed amazing how recessive genes can hide for many generations. However, unless I really knew the breeder was really top-notch, I would first assume the daddy on the "birth certificate" is not the actual daddy. Odds are that internet breeder has more than one breed, and I'm going to guess this pup is not actually a purebred Maltese. It would be interesting to see what a DNA test says about that pup.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
              I think throwbacks are often possible. It is indeed amazing how recessive genes can hide for many generations. However, unless I really knew the breeder was really top-notch, I would first assume the daddy on the "birth certificate" is not the actual daddy. Odds are that internet breeder has more than one breed, and I'm going to guess this pup is not actually a purebred Maltese. It would be interesting to see what a DNA test says about that pup.
              Agree completely. The dog is probably from some online broker who made up the name just like all the othe designer names.

Comment

hmm...

It's brown, and looks kind of maltese like... let's call it a cocoa maltese and advertise it as rare and sell it for $XXXX

Now if the breeder is a kennel club breeder and is very reputable, than it could be a different story... but typically the buyer doesn't say... I found it on the internet... they say. I was searching the web and found this breeder in _____________. if they bought it from a registered breeder.

Comment

I did one ladt week.the owner told me they breed for the black color in jamaca and It was a rare breed. I laughed out loud becouse the dog was so matted it really di have dredlocks. I "thought " she was making a joke untill she shot me a look.to me the little bugger looked like and affinpincer mix.sweet guy though.

Comment

only 1 color

if you look @ the breed standard the "ONLY COLOR" is white. Some fawn (lt brown) is allowed on he shoulder or head. If this dog is from the internet its a mix. This is my opinion & the breeders also will agree, don't buy it.

Comment

My first thought when I read your post?.......... Havanese mixed in there somewhere.. I had one 'silver maltese a while back. Lady claimed it was a pure bred maltese but there was a silver/white havanese living in the house (the breeders house that is)... Hmmm Good breeder huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy LaFoy View Post
                        if you look @ the breed standard the "ONLY COLOR" is white. Some fawn (lt brown) is allowed on he shoulder or head. If this dog is from the internet its a mix. This is my opinion & the breeders also will agree, don't buy it.
                        The only ALLOWED color is white. That doesn't mean other colors can't happen. The only allowed color in Rotties is black and tan, yet there are red Rotties, and they aren't mixed with anything else. It's just a recessive that crops up now and then. There are also chocolate Yorkies. Parti color exists in Schnauzers and Poodles. I'm sure many other breeds have the same issue.

The breed club decided that Maltese should be white. But back in the day other colors did exist. The breed club made those colors a disqualifying fault. They've been selecting against any other color since that time, and an off-color Maltese is a rarity. But it does happen, and doesn't mean there's any other breed mixed in. It's just the luck of the draw.

Comment

Google search for "cocoa" Maltese brings sites with morky puppies, so the dog could be a morky.

If you put in "black Maltese" you will finde this page: http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/malte...ed_history.htm

Here is a quate from it regarding different colors in maltese breed:

"From 1902 to 1913 The Kennel Club offered classes for Maltese dogs, other than white. The first entry made under this classification was made in 1908 and the last was made in 1913. The colored Maltese differed from the white variety. The English standard for the Maltese called for the white variety not to exceed 12 pounds. The colored variety could not exceed 8 1/2 pounds. All colors were admissible into the colored classes. The white variety were required to be pure white. Besides the size difference, there were other variations between the two varieties. The colored coats were coarser textured than the white coats. The head of the colored Maltese tended to be shorter muzzled and broader skulled than those of the white Maltese.

Maltese in the United States

The earliest known Maltese on record in the United States was born in 1873. He was entered at Westminster in 1879 and was also the first colored Maltese shown here. Entered as a "Maltese Skye Terrier," he was described as being white with black ears.

There was great interest in colored Maltese in the United States. Some crossbreeding was done here, as well as in England. One such recorded crossbreeding used a white Maltese and a black Pomeranian. The resultant litter produced black Maltese, identical to the white variety."

Comment

Working...
                          X