Scat Mats for brat cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scat Mats for brat cats

Does anyone out there have a counter-sized (or 2, or 3) Scat Mats that they want to sell? My DH is gonna commit feline-eous assault on Jakey if I can't figger out a way to keep the little bugger off the counters.

He's been a royal pita ever since we put him on a diet. Aside from jumping on the counters, knocking over the garbage and, (last nite) stealing a chicken drumstick, he also - on occasion - chooses to piss on my hubby's shirts if we forget to shut the bedroom door. We took him to the vet, threw a bunch of money at him, and got a clean bill of health so uti's are not an issue. Anthropomorphism aside, I'm convinced he's simply stating his opinion of the whole diet/closed bedroom door thing. For some reason, he blames my hubby. Truth is, its the vet's fault. She's the one who told me, "Yer cat's too fat. You should know better. Put him on a diet." But he doesn't live with her so he takes it out on us instead, or on my old man's shirts to be precise.

I have small green squirt bottles within reach in every room in the house. No kidding. 6 bottles total, labeled A**hole Blaster (my DH's contribution, whatever it takes to keep him smilin' through this). But Jake's a smaaaart kitty, see....not only is he devious, but he LISTENS for the tell-tale swish-of-water sound when the bottle is picked up. By the time it's been primed and is actually shooting water, he's on the lam. Little b*stard.

So, we keep the bedroom door shut. We take the garbage out every night. Two out of three problems (mostly) solved. It's the whole counter thing that seems to be the main sticking point. I took shelf paper and taped it, sticky side up, on the counters and that worked pretty well, but it gets kinda nasty after a couple of days. Tried aluminum foil....all that did is give me a very artistic set of embossed foil paw prints to frame for posterity.

Of course, there's always something a little more high tech, like this: http://www.plasma2002.com/blenderdefender/

But I think, if I can find 'em used, that the Scat Mats would probably be the most effective method. Which leads me back to my first sentence. If anyone has a scat mat that they wanna sell, send me a PM and I'll take it off your hands.
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Love ya...but not enough to part w/ my ScatMat. In the olden days before ScatMats...I used to use mouse traps...the old fashioned wood kind.
    They actually scare the crp outa me...setting them, so I would set them on a kitchen spatula and evvvver-sooo-gennnntly slide them off on the counters.

It was kinda fun watching them go FWAP when "Christopher" would jump on the counter to use my toaster as his personal Port-a-Pot.

The kitties never got toes stuck in them...I used them in my indoor potted trees as well...so no kitties were injured (other than their pride) in this conduction of avoidance exercise.

I did try to have them all picked up and put away before parties or company came, because folks would come to my house and see 17 mousetraps on the counter and think that I had a very bad rodent problem, then they would not eat any of the cheese and crackers I made for them or other horderves and would make excuses about why they had to leave right after they got there. Then I heard there was a rumor going around about my mouse problem that I didn't really even have. All because of "Christopher". Then when the true story came out...all my friends called him "Pisstopher", and that hurt my feelings too. I got 4 toasters for Christmas that year.

I hope you find a ScatMat...maybe the mousetraps idea isn't so great after all?
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Mouse traps, will not break a pwa, but it will stop the little stinker. Much luck
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I used mousetraps on the furniture to keep the dogs off; one day my hubby sat down; he was going commando at the time; nearly took something else off; taught him not to sit onthe furniture without looking first.

Comment

Ow! Ow! Owwwww! WTH???

Son of a #$*&@! Never having had the experience, and taking temporary leave of my senses, I just stuck my finger in a mousetrap to judge for myself whether there was any danger of broken kitty toes....cuz honestly it sounds like a pretty good and heartily satisfying solution. I said to myself, Bernie & Odette would never do anything that would put their pets in danger, it MUST be okay, it worked for them, it must not be as bad as it looks (except from the mouse's point of view). Lemme tell ya - that freakin' HURTS!! I don't think anything is broken per se, but it's sure as heck gonna turn an interesting color in the next few hours. A word to the wise (i.e., everyone who is not me): Never, never stick your finger in a set mousetrap.

Y'know, had I thought things through just a LITTLE longer, I would've given Bernie's fear of the damn things further consideration. And I'll bet SHE didn't have to stick her finger in one to know that it hurt, anymore than she had to roll in the fireplace to know that was a bad idea, too.

So, I must seek clarification, as I hunt -n-peck minus an index finger...I KNOW you guys don't have cats running around on little prosthetic paws.
          Last edited by PuppyFluffer; 04-21-10, 08:40 PM.
          Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
          George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Puppyfluffer -

I think cats are just too fast, and their little paws don't stick out like an index finger.

But did you know those danged mousetraps KILL the mice?? Usually. Break their necks, flatten their little bodies, whatever - they're quite strong......

But I guess you know that now. OUCH!!

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post
              I used mousetraps on the furniture to keep the dogs off; one day my hubby sat down; he was going commando at the time; nearly took something else off; taught him not to sit onthe furniture without looking first.
              ouch,glad he didnt lose anything,but man that made me laugh

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
                I think cats are just too fast, and their little paws don't stick out like an index finger.
                "Specially an index finger attached to hand controlled by a brain that says..."hmmm, I think I'll stick my finger in here and see how this feels when it FWAPS". Jeez PF!
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

roflmao! Pf cats have better sense , they slap at it and it goes fwaap, scares the bejezzers out of them, they have no brain saying hmmmmmmm wonder what this feels like. Sorry you aren't part cat! Also cats are very intelligent, have a self preservation mode thingy, it goes fwaaap and they say no wat am I sticking a toe in there.
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

When I had a kitty getting on the counters, I could not find a Pre-owned Scat Mat, so I shelled out the money for a new one. Best investment in my opinion. We broke the cat of getting on the counter. We had a cat peeing on the dog bed at night (dogs are in crates at night), used the Scat Mat on the bed at night for a week. No more pee problems. Currently not using the Scat Mat, but nice to have for the next problem area. Actually thinking of using it ourside to break a bad habit one of my dogs have.
                    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I have been using the comfort zone room diffuser for my cat that was having urine marking issues out of jealousy and stress and they took a couple of weeks to start working all the time but it is finally working and it has helped my older kitty be a little less paranoid about the world around her (LOL) she's a little schizo.

Comment

If you are going to use the mouse traps you cover them with something. like newspapers, something light that won't set the traps off. When the cat jumps on top of the newspapers the traps go off underneath and that scares him. I have never used them but the newspapers should keep the traps from catching any kitty paws. Maybe tin foil would work as a cover and make a little more noise. You can always test it first.

Comment

well i have 4 brat cats...they go on the stove, the kitchen table, the counters...and darn hubby wont let me use the mousetraps! generally when they here me coming they scatter....but other than that no ideas! he probably wont let me use scat mats either! yet he complains!
                          ugh men! its a no win situation! try craigslist?
                          Hound

Comment

My daughter had the same problem with her ragdoll kitty, Jack. He wouldn't get on ANYTHING in the kitchen, the breeder had trained him not to. BUT, he was always on the dining room table. My daughter was at her wits end, until I told her to try TAPE>>>> You take a big piece of cardboard, COVER it in sticky tape, sticky side out.... little balls of wadded up sticky tape all over it. Jack jumped up ONCE.... got covered in tape, and flipped! He hasn't even tried to jump up there again! Now she leaves the cardboard there and just takes it off when they eat, set it up against the wall, and replaces it when done eating.. Jack has other interests now. Like trying to catch the animals on National Geographic on their big screen tv..... lol

Comment

iam owned by 5 very spoiled rotten brat cats,and i love my scat mat,works great

Comment

Working...
                              X