Need MORE advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need MORE advice!

I have a client on Friday who has a 14 year old Shep mix who is terrified of the dryer. I have done "Maggie" a few times already, but every other time I was doing two other dogs as well. I would bathe Maggie first and let her air dry while I bathed and groomed the other two. Then she would be dry enough to clip. This time I'm only doing Maggie. Owner doesn't want her blow dried, and I also don't want to stress her. My question is how do I get a smooth clip on her if I can't do her dry? I really don't have the time to wait until she air dries. The last time I went I made the mistake of trying to clip her BEFORE the bath. Did not work out well. Took me forever to get that hair off! I don't have a cordless clipper and am a house-call groomer. I couldn't groom her leaning over a house-hold bathtub anyway! (Regarding a wet shave) Any advice?

Originally posted by Elise H View Post
    I have a client on Friday who has a 14 year old Shep mix who is terrified of the dryer. I have done "Maggie" a few times already, but every other time I was doing two other dogs as well. I would bathe Maggie first and let her air dry while I bathed and groomed the other two. Then she would be dry enough to clip. This time I'm only doing Maggie. Owner doesn't want her blow dried, and I also don't want to stress her. My question is how do I get a smooth clip on her if I can't do her dry? I really don't have the time to wait until she air dries. The last time I went I made the mistake of trying to clip her BEFORE the bath. Did not work out well. Took me forever to get that hair off! I don't have a cordless clipper and am a house-call groomer. I couldn't groom her leaning over a house-hold bathtub anyway! (Regarding a wet shave) Any advice?

Total novice here, and please other's chime in if this is a HUGE no no on my part, but common sense would say that if there's a huge difficulty to do it the normal way which is brush, bathe, dry, cut then maybe you should do everything before the bath and let her air dry and then brush her again since you can't use the dryer on her.

Comment

Could you bathe Maggie and come back later to clip - either a couple of hours later or the next morning? Charge extra for the two trips, but that's all I can think of that will avoid using a dryer.
      "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Have you

tried a happy hoody to block the sound of the dryer sometime it helps???

Comment

I agree with Cat Crazy-make 2 trips. The owner shouldn't mind the extra charge since you are doing it for the safety of her pet. If she wants a haircut, that's just the way it is. Don't think the Happy Hoody would work if she is that terrified-and at her age, no point in stressing her out.
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I have this with some pet's. I will bath and dry as much as possible with a bunch of towels and then wait two hours as they crate dry. Also a fan while they are in the crate works great.

Comment

I would suggest you bathe her, towel dry, use a good detangler and brush out as much hair as possible, then start on clipping her while she is wet. I do wet shaves all the time, and I always do them on my table, never have done one in the tub. When you are done, she should be mostly dry, finsh up with a hand held on low just to fluff, then go back over her to get rid of the stickie outies. Another suggestion, do they have a garage or patio you can use for grooming? This time of year it's gettin warn, and being outside helps with drying time. I did a Sheltie last week on the patio and took 1/2 the drying time, plus it was fun to watch Sheltie hair float everywhere. Made me wonder if the neighbors were curious as to why it was snowing dog hair,,,lmao

Comment

Wire kennel (purchased by the owner, of course) and 3 floor fans--one on top, one in front, one in back.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Two words. Wet clip. You don't need to do a wet clip in the tub. You don't need cordless clippers. If the house doesn't have a GFI outlet in any room, go a local hardwear store and buy one that will plug into a regular outlet, and plug your clippers into that.

Comment

totally agree with Helly! Or you could clip her before the bath, then wet clip her. If she goes to a 7 or 5 she will probably be just about dry by the time your done. Just make sure to back brush a lot! Also, even though it makes a mess, I would have a simple box fan aimed at you guys while your grooming her (I imagine at her age you clip her on the floor).

Comment

Thanks again for all the good info! Yes, I do groom her on the floor, and we are in a garage. I will try the before and after clip. I use a 5 on her, so it should work out well. Every time I have a question or concern, you guys are always so helpful! And you're also a fantastic inspiration to a newbie who is unsure and under-confident. Once again, much appreciation!

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                        Two words. Wet clip. You don't need to do a wet clip in the tub. You don't need cordless clippers. If the house doesn't have a GFI outlet in any room, go a local hardwear store and buy one that will plug into a regular outlet, and plug your clippers into that.

Yup Yup and Yup!!!

A 14 yr old shep mix probabaly isn't being shaved so she looks good so I really wouldn't stress much about tracks. Making her clean and comfortable w/out stressing her much is IMO the main goal when you are grooming a dog like this one.
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Hard to say without knowing what the "mix" (with shep) she is. but here's MHO of how I'd tackle the situation.

If she's a long hairy like Golden retriever X shep....#7 SKIP berfore bath. Might be a little slow going in spots, but that 7 skip is a miracle worker. Bath, air or dry in a crate with fans (like people house fans)
                          Back brush & you could probably finish with a #4f of #5f....although on a 14 year old dog I'd just do #7f to get the groom DONE QUICK & NEAT.

If she's a lab short hair shep X.....A # 8 1/2, or 9 before bath...9's are soooo great on those 'lab-y' coats....(or a #7f reverse) a 9 would be ideal 'cause after the bath she'd probably dry in like 2 seconds. Ugh, unless she doesn't stand still well, then the 9s leave tracks and 'gow-jez' & stuff

ok, I'm rambling,,,,,& I don't know how to spell.....

BUT ....REMEMBER...14 year old dog....do whatever you can quick & easy as not to stress her...it won't be perfect & maybe a little shorter than owner wants, but it is what it is.

Comment

Went pretty well

The owner ended up wanting all three dogs done again this time, so we had a little wait time in between Maggie's bath and groom. She was still pretty wet around her neck and rear. Ended up using a 7...tried the 5, but I thought It'd take too long. The 7 worked much better, and she ended up nice and soft and smooth!

Comment

Working...
                            X