Standard Poodle Puppy Evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Poodle Puppy Evaluation

This is the st. poodle puppy I'm thinking about buying. He is 6 weeks old in the pic. What do ya'll think?
    I know it's not the best pic, but it's all I have to work with right now.
    I am going to be showing this pup.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by windfall4; 04-21-10, 02:27 PM.

I would like to see a more natural pose from him like a standing on the ground at ease picture. She looks like she is squishing him, lol, and his feet are not bearing his weight correctly.

Comment

Same here. I would like to see him self stacked. From the way she holds him it looks like he has low tailset and eve neck, but who knows what is under her hands.

Comment

yeah, I'm not crazy about the pic either. It looks like she has him stacked on a board or something and he isn't able to balance himself. I'm not 100% committed to this puppy yet. I was very specific with the breeder on what I wanted. I like the smaller, short-backed, fancier type standards. She said that she thinks he is going to be my type, but I'm not sure if I see that in him yet.

Comment

A 6wk old pup is too young to evaluate for a show potental. Trying to evaluate a puppy just on a pic is difficult at best. There is also another factor to consider and that is movement and structure. You can't tell at this age. More likely at 8-10wks would be better.

Just looking at the pic he looks like he's long back and short on neck. St's grow at different rates, two weeks from now he could be more square and have a bit more neck. Just too hard to tell at this age. Also depending on his pedigree and what the parents were like at a similiar age bears consideration.

Best to try an watch the puppy move on his own, will tell you loads about his structure and carriage.

Hope it works out for you.

Comment

I am thinking similar, and strongly dislike the coat. Its laying FLAT. It ought to be fluffier by 6 weeks.....need more photos in a better position, to make an assessment.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Hes very cute, but there is NO WAY you can tell if a pup is show quality at 6 weeks... many change even after 6 months! A bite can change, testicles may not descend, patellas may go out.... too many things can happen. Don't sign any contracts until he is a LOT older!

Comment

I know you can't really tell much at 6 weeks. I haven't committed to anything just yet. I saw most of the breeder's adult dogs and they are STUNNING. She had a 10 yr old silver standard that was in full coat and he was just breathtaking (she was showing him in a veteran's class). I told the breeder that I wouldn't take the puppy til he was at least 12 weeks...hopefully he will turn out to be what I want. If not, then there are plenty more out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                  I am thinking similar, and strongly dislike the coat. Its laying FLAT. It ought to be fluffier by 6 weeks.....need more photos in a better position, to make an assessment.
                  The puppy's coat isn't bathed and blown out. That's the natural lay without a bath at this age.

Comment

Last boy in my litter

I am no expert just want6ed to share my last pup 11 weeks 3 haircuts so far yikes !
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Ellie View Post
                      The puppy's coat isn't bathed and blown out. That's the natural lay without a bath at this age.
                      Huh, My toys have curls at that age, even not blown out. SERIOUS curls.
                      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Toys do mature faster then a St. Big difference between a 6wj old toy and a 6wk old St. I still think the pup's coat is ok.

Comment

The first bath makes a big deifference in the fluff factor too.
                          "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                          Quote:Cath

Comment

Working...
                          X