Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you divy up dogs between groomers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you divy up dogs between groomers?

I'm just wondering in light of some issues we've had at the shop where I work, how do you divide the dogs to be groomed
    up between the groomers for the day? This is a shop where the groomer does the whole groom...no bathers etc.

To be perfectly honest... in all the years Ive worked for others I never really had much choice, usually I was assigned the 'ones no one else wanted' and usually most of the terriers (I love them!!! especially SCWT !) At my business' I did something different, something I always wished I had had... I asked each groomer during teh interview process what breeds they liked, what they didnt like, what they feel most comfortable doing and..... I also allow people to 'pass' on pets (if they are having 'issues' with that specific dog)

I have found that as the owner of a business I must accept the responsibility of being able to do any pet that comes in... I also know (sadly from experience) that if any groomer does not 'like' a specific dog the dogs know it! It makes the entire experience for both the pet & the groomer a long, tiresome process that only leads to frustration. I also know from experience that when you get the dogs you really like... both of you have a great time, the days goes well, everyone has a good day.

I also accept the responsibility that if any groomer needs to leave for any emergency... it is up to me to do everything I can to cover or else I must be willing to risk calling clients and cancelling/returning un-done. I think that is why owning your own business is such a responsibility but I have found working "WITH" my groomers... we make a great team.

Comment

We try to spread em out fairly evenly and will try to schedule repeat dogs with the same groomer if possible but since we don't often have that many groomers working together at one time it doesn't come up often. Bath and Brush out dogs always go to the bather when there is one on.

Because we are busy enough, we usually end up with more grooms than the groomers can handle though, so no one really gets the short end of the stick.

Comment

at our shop, say you have 3 groomers, someone slow, medium, and fast. The person who is able to do the most dogs, gets the most, and it goes down the line. We try to divide it up equally, so say the fast person could do 10 in a day, and the medium person does 7 in a day, if it is slow the fast person would probably get 7, and the medium person 5. If it is extremely slow we trade off with who takes a day off so that is equal too. If everyone only has one or two dogs on their lists, there is no sense in everyone coming in, might as well make it worthwhile for everyone to be there when they are rather than so many dogs stretched so thin.

Comment

because the other girl in the shop is an IC she sets her own appointments she lets me know how many she wants in a day and has her own clients.
          She will do overflow if she has time or if none of her clients are going to come in so she can still work. But before when we we're both employed at a corporate store it would be whoever was faster did the most and if anyone asked for a specific groomer that would be considered. We would try to be fair about it so that one didn't make a lot more than another but speed will determine a lot.
          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Where I used to work (now it's just me at my shop) we had all of the groomers names in the book for each day. The first dog would get scheduled under the 1st groomer, the 2nd under the 2nd groomer. It was just your turn. We had written above our names the number we were full at. Luckily we could pick that ourselves. Of course, if the first dog was a Newfie or something, you got blocked off for two dogs or whatever. And request dogs went under the groomer that was requested.

It worked out most of the time, although there were days one groomer would have a ton of naughty dogs. Everyone there was really good about it though, and if one groomer had a super hard day and one had an easy day, someone would always offer to trade and take one of the difficult dogs for one of the easier ones so you weren't pulling your hair out by the end of the day.

Comment

well...

all of our dogs come in between 8-10...
              we get to pick if we want the first or second dog..
              so the first dog that comes in goes to groomer A then second dog goes to groomer B..third dog to groomer a..
              Now sometimes someone will be faster so they get more dogs. It's the groomers responsibility to get their dogs done...
              sometimes (i have noticed) someone will go very very unusually slow to not get the next dog...(note the time i did 8 dogs and the other groomer did 4)

Comment

We have enough business for all 11 groomers, plus we are booked about a week in advance right now, so there is never any complaining about not getting enough dogs here. It is the groomers responsibility to answer the phone, so we all pitch in. There are a couple of lazy people who don't like to pick up the phone a lot and quite frankly those are the ones that often end up w/ the dogs we don't like. Of course people are allowed to request their groomer, so if it is requested they go to someone in particular. If I answer the phone and it is a large dog, I will often put it on someone else if possible. Our prices are a little stupid and you just don't make enough $$$ on the big dogs, so that is my main thought process. Why would I take a large dog onto myself, have to take less dogs that day, only to make less $$$$? When I get my own shop I will probably just go by seniority. I believe that people who have been there longest, SHOULD get taken care of first. If they decide they want to share w/ the other groomers, that is their choice. Our books are arranged alphabetically where I am now, so new people are in front of me a lot. It isn't a big deal right now, but when it starts to slow down in the fall, I will be pretty ticked when they are getting dogs and I am not. I have put in 3 years where I am, I do have quite a few requests, so I usually have 1 or 2 a day that would be mine alone, but that isn't really enough. I just think that I should get the option to get them first, and people who have been there longer than me should get them before me. I realize that might suck for the new people, but there needs to be benefit to have put in the time w/ one company. We only get raises if the price goes up, so shouldn't I at least have the option of making more when it is slower?
                I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                -Michelangelo

Comment

When I worked in a shop like that with one other groomer, whatever walked in the door, either him or I would get it, say I got the first one. Then he would get the next one and so on. Then in the course of the day if I ended up with to many "groom" dogs, and he only had mainly bath dogs, we would swap a few. It depend on if you can work with the other groomers.
                  "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

I'm so glad my co-worker and I don't have to worry about dividing dogs. It can get complicated from time to time...trying to make sure every groomer gets the same amount of dogs and money.
                    My co-worker and I split every dog down the middle. I wasn't sure about it at first, but after doing it for a few days I realized it really is the easiest way. We have all the dogs come in between 7:30 and 9:30. She prefers the smaller dogs, and I'd rather do the big and harries. There is only 1 tub so she will start bathing while I ruff in some dogs, and then I'll finish up bathing while she gets started on the little ones. Then we both just groom groom groom til all the dogs are done. That way she can do the dogs she wants, and I can do the dogs I want and there isn't any argument over the higher priced dogs. At the end of the day each dog's price is split in half and she gets half and I get half. There might be days where she does a little more work, and there might be days where I do a little more work...but all in all it works out in the end.

Comment

There are 4 groomers where I work. One likes to do 4-5 a day, one wants 6, one 6-7 and I'll do 8-12. We just fill in the number of available slots per person per day by a mixture of client request, so and so usually does that one and divide the anybody can do that one's. Everyone gets what they are comfortable with doing most days.

Lisa

Comment

Thanks for the input. For some reason in the last few months dividing up dogs at our shop has started a lot of 'drama'!! We do have specific #'s of dogs that we'd like to do per day, but it still seems like one of the groomers always gets out her calculator to figure out what were making that day and if it's fair and if dogs need to be shifted around etc! She is also making us write our daily average of money (commission) on a calender everyday and then extra dogs the next day go to the person with the lowest average but sometimes the average is only lower by $1 or so. Or if she's had a day off and comes back to find that we were really busy while she was gone she figures out what we all made and feels she needs to make up that amount or at least get the extra dog or the most expensive dogs. It's getting so ridiculous!! I personally don't care if someone makes a few dollars more than me one day cuz I'm sure I will make more than them another day. Or if I choose to take a day off then too bad I have to suck it up if it was busy that day! Right!??

Comment

Originally posted by doggonespiffy View Post
                          Thanks for the input. For some reason in the last few months dividing up dogs at our shop has started a lot of 'drama'!! We do have specific #'s of dogs that we'd like to do per day, but it still seems like one of the groomers always gets out her calculator to figure out what were making that day and if it's fair and if dogs need to be shifted around etc! She is also making us write our daily average of money (commission) on a calender everyday and then extra dogs the next day go to the person with the lowest average but sometimes the average is only lower by $1 or so. Or if she's had a day off and comes back to find that we were really busy while she was gone she figures out what we all made and feels she needs to make up that amount or at least get the extra dog or the most expensive dogs. It's getting so ridiculous!! I personally don't care if someone makes a few dollars more than me one day cuz I'm sure I will make more than them another day. Or if I choose to take a day off then too bad I have to suck it up if it was busy that day! Right!??
                          Are ya'll employees or ICs? If ya'll are employees she shouldn't be able to do that. Employees shouldn't discuss their salaries with each other. I know she is trying to make sure everything is fair, but is she the grooming manager? If not, she has no right to get into everyone else's business. There will be some days where some groomers make more than others, but in the end it should all even out for the most part.

Comment

We contract there. I agree with that it will even itself out in the end. She is not a manager, just a groomer like me. The gal who owns the shop, who we contract for refuses to get involved. It never used to be this way and she was hired 2 years ago, she never did that at first cuz she was the newbie but now all of a sudden she feels she can, she even squabbles if someone else has 5-10 dollars more in total...she goes to the 'average chart', or gets out her calculator, or starts moving dogs around before we get started. Trust me we've had staff meetings and personal talks and she insists this is the 'only fair way!' In the end we just let her do it just to keep peace!!

Comment

The Sqeeky wheel get smore grease a lot of people are liek that now just start assigning her the PITA dogs that noone else wants that are worth a ;little more and she will maybe start seeing the light! If clients request a specific groomer they should get that one. It should be assinged according to who wanta what appt when if you stagger appts. Watch out or son she will start demanding you all split tips. I had this kind of garbage at a corp salon mind you i had 18+ years experience and noone had over 1 year and they tried to pull that garabge and the mangment let them. I'd make the manager stand up and say assinged dogs stay as is.

Comment

Working...
                              X