Bed Bugs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Bugs??

Had a client call me yesterday to schedule an appointment. She said her apartment complex is infested with BED BUGS! She said she picked one off her white poodle and asked if I could use something to kill any that might be on him. I told her that I could give him a good soak in f&t shampoo as that usually takes care of anything. She keeps Advantage on the dog year round. I really don't have any experience with these critters...any advice would be appreciated.

We had a similar story, and decided to call the lady's vet for advice. He told us that even he wasn't sure if f&t shampoo would work but that if we saw them on the dog it was probably our best option. Topical and systemic f&t stuff wont do much good against them. Basically, a really really good bath if you haven't seen any on the dog, and a f&t bath if you have is the best you can do. They'll climb right back on when she brings the dog home though, so the "war" should start there.

I would definitely talk to her vet, they might have better info than the one I talked to though.

Comment

If I remember right.. Bedbugs don't really like dogs and cats. If they can't find a human, they WILL bite dogs and cats, but they prefer humans.

Dogs and cats are not good hosts for bedbugs..they wont stay on them . I don't think they even stay on humans...they bite at night then crawl back into their little crevices.

Pyrethrins work on bedbugs but the spot treatments (frontline ect) do not.

Comment

Pyrethrins will kill bed bugs so will Isopropyl Alcohol. However Im wouldnt recommend either one. I personally would treat it like fleas and just do a Dawn soak and then a reg F/T shampoo as bedbugs are nocturnal and unlike fleas shouldnt be hanging out on the dog.

Comment

Or, the lady is really confused and thinks bedbugs are actually fleas. I wouldn't normally have such an opinion of people, but after the last couple of days, I'm about sick of dealing w/ people who are a far cry from the brightest crayon in the box.
          I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
          -Michelangelo

Comment

The dog came in this morning and I didn't see anything at all on him. He's a white mini poodle so I think I would have seen something if they were there. I did immediately put the dog in the tub and soak for a few minutes in f&t just in case. The lady told me that the apartment complex has exterminated several times and that she's keeping her clothes in plastic bags for now. I can't imagine!

Comment

Working...
            X