Quicked a Pugs Nails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicked a Pugs Nails

I just have to vent before I loose my mind........ this story starts about 2 weeks ago. Here's the background.The place I work part time is run by a non-groomer, 2 weeks ago, she wanted me to clip her dogs nails, which I have done for FREE many times. She was busy with a sales person, so since it was time to leave and I didn't wanna wait, I headed to my car. She comes out in the parking lot and drags me back in. I quicked 2 of his back nails,,, but the way she reacted, you would have thought I cut off his foot. Lots of drama and hysterics.. like omg poor baby what has she done to you,, you cut his skin, he won't be able to walk, etc. I told her I was very sorry, never would intentially hurt her dog,, and he would be ok,. In one ear out the other! Next day that I worked, was told the dog had said I was to never trim his nails again cause I "cut" him. Fast forward to last Friday, had a walk in, was another pug with black nails. Put the dog on my table, started trimming the nails, again , I quicked 2 nails on the back foot.. was a older lady with her much older mother,,,, same reaction,, omg,, she was freaking out, was goona take the dog to the vet ,, etc. Today, the lady comes back in to the store, is up front with my pug owner boss,, told the boss all about the quicked nail and how she even thought I was gonna pick up her dog by the collar.. how terrible I was etc... I guess it's second nature to me, but when picking up a strange dog , I always secure the head with one hand and pick up the dog around the belly with the other,, hence I was picking the dog up by the collar!!! The worst part was my boss in no way defended me or told the woman I was never ruff with the dogs, she let it go one and on, took my comission away and told me if the lady had taken the dog to the vet, I would have had to pay the vet bill!!!! What is a vet goona do with a dog with a quicked nails but laugh in the ladys face??? I put quick stop on the nails and made sure the bleeding had stoped before she left. I feel like I work in a insane asylum. I just had to keep my mouth shut and get out of there before I blew up and got fired. What is wrong with people??? I so wish I coudld find a better place to work, but no one is hiring in my area, and with the economy the way it is I am glad for the exrta income,, but geeze Louise,, they are making me nuts!!!

Buy a van and go out on your own if you can. Another possibility is groom out of your home if it's legal. I would not want to be treated like that. That whole scenario would make me FURIOUS!
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

well what ive learned is never clip pug nails....i always use a grinder on them....i once did a pug where i got almost all of her nails except for 3 of them! can we say that owner got about 20 dollars worth of free nail caps? LOL!
      learned my lesson on that one!
      i too would leave that shop....too much stress for me IMO!
      Hound

Comment

you know all the years ive been grooming,pug nails are hard for me to trim,it seems like i barely take anything off and they bleed,i wouldnt put up with that ****,maybe you should have the boss do nail trims so she can see how easy it is,i wouldnt touch her dogs nails again if i were you,i hope you can find some place else to work

Comment

It isn't easy to "soar like an eagle, when you work with a bunch of turkeys"!! Hopefully you can find something else soon as nobody deserves to be treated that way. I am so glad I am able to work for MYSELF, by MYSELF!!

Comment

[QUOTE=thedirtydawg;407593]It isn't easy to "soar like an eagle, when you work with a bunch of turkeys"!! QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head,,,lmao, thats how I feel everyday. Will keep my chin up and my mouth shut and hopefully something better will come my way soon!!! Thanks.

PS,
            I'm gonna put a sign on my forehead that says I don't do pug nails,, giggles!!

Comment

I am assuming that you are an employee and not a IC. SO that being said you may want to check but I believe that she cannot take away your commission nor make you pay for the vet bill. As the owner of the shop she should have insurance and she takes the assumed risk.
              As a side note, I probably wouldn't pick up a dog like that in front of the owner. It would even bug me a little if I saw someone do that to my own dog...if you don't trust the dog put them on a leash and lead them back that way...then pick them up once out of site of the owner.
              Also, being that your boss is not a groomer, she is not understanding that things like quicking nails happen, especially if the nail is black and the quick is overgrown. I think it may be time to have a serious talk with her about it...quicking nails even happens to the most experienced groomer once in a while no matter how careful they are...
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
                I am assuming that you are an employee and not a IC. SO that being said you may want to check but I believe that she cannot take away your commission nor make you pay for the vet bill. As the owner of the shop she should have insurance and she takes the assumed risk.
                As a side note, I probably wouldn't pick up a dog like that in front of the owner. It would even bug me a little if I saw someone do that to my own dog...if you don't trust the dog put them on a leash and lead them back that way...then pick them up once out of site of the owner.
                Also, being that your boss is not a groomer, she is not understanding that things like quicking nails happen, especially if the nail is black and the quick is overgrown. I think it may be time to have a serious talk with her about it...quicking nails even happens to the most experienced groomer once in a while no matter how careful they are...
                Very well said!
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

I wish you could work elsewhere....like for yourself. I suppose if you printed out our replys and showed them to your boss it would only make her angry. However, I would tell her that is why they make Quik Stop. It happens. A dremel would probably scare the dog and be as bad. I find the nail that gets quicked the most is the back foot end nails. I am not insensitive to a dogs' pain but I do think it doesn't bother them as much as the owner and the quik stop only stings for a few seconds. They don't make Quik Stop as effective as it used to be IMO. I would not pick up a dog in front of the owner only because they are protective and could bite. I have seen owners pick up dogs by the front legs and I want to tell them nicely to scoop them up instead. I've said it before......someone needs to breed a dog with nails that don't quick , no nails or nails that grow veeerrry slowly and rarely need trimming. LOL Muzzles don't fit pugs well if at all.......lucky he didn't bite. And if the dog spoke and TOLD That not to let you groom her dogs' nails why isn't she running to CNN news and getting a big news story. Her dog can actually TALK!

Make every effort in spare your time to find some other way to groom somewhere else.....preferably for yourself, by yourself. And see about getting that commission back too! Had it been me, I'd have been fired at that point. I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut.

Oh, and when you can say B Bye to the bosslady, hand her a copy of this thread to back you up. You aren't in the wrong, she /they are!

Comment

I'm sorry But I would not have been able to hold my mouth shut .Your boss has no right to hold back your pay no matter how small % it is(It IS Illegal !!! ).Yes corps get away with it because they pay by the hr a groomer may loose commission but will not loose the hourly pay.So unless your being paid hourly the state labor board would love to have a reason to investigate her business.As for leaving that job there are plenty of good grooming salons looking for reliable skilled help, A quicked nail happens to everyone including vets. These types business owners only bully those who allow them to do it,You have to stand up for your rights and your respect you quicked a nail you did not cut the dogs toe off if your boss doesn't know the difference she's in the wrong business.

Comment

Sorta OT, but, Espree has a brand new Styptic powder I was talking to Holly about the other day. It supposedly doesn't turn the nail yellow. It is white and she says it is better than Bio-Groom brand. That having been said, I also use a grinder on pug nails. Don't ask me how I know. [rolls eyes]
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

All that salon **** is what made me go mobile!

I remember I worked at Petsomething some years back. I quicked a dogs nail and it stopped bleeding before I could even get out the quickstop.

The manager was a moron and told me that on my days off the girl came back in and wanted her money back for the nail cutting because the dog could no longer walk properly after the nail was quicked. She did not take him to the vets though. So the manager refunded her money.
                        I told the manager she was 'had'. The girl was a scam artist. Don't you think if she really felt her dog was harmed by his quicked nail which barely bled, she would have and should have taken him to a vet? The manager just shrugged. She added that she would have to write me up for it.
                        Meanwhile she quicked nails but didn't refund the client NOR did she write herself up.

Comment

In your situation you have to choose your battles wisely. Sure, you could raise a stink with your state's labor board. But is the paltry amount of money involved worth losing your job over? Because you can bet your next pay check that you'd be out of a job as soon as it can be arranged.

This is a difficult time to be looking for work. Especially if you don't have a job while you're looking. None of us knows your financial situation, so it's easy to say we'd do it anyway. It's not the money, it's the principle. But if you're depending on that money, and you can't pay the bills without it, you probably need to tough it out until you find something else.

Keep your head up and remind yourself all of lifes little trials make us stronger, if they don't kill us first.

Comment

Originally posted by ralla View Post
                            All that salon **** is what made me go mobile!

I remember I worked at Petsomething some years back. I quicked a dogs nail and it stopped bleeding before I could even get out the quickstop.

The manager was a moron and told me that on my days off the girl came back in and wanted her money back for the nail cutting because the dog could no longer walk properly after the nail was quicked. She did not take him to the vets though. So the manager refunded her money.
                            I told the manager she was 'had'. The girl was a scam artist. Don't you think if she really felt her dog was harmed by his quicked nail which barely bled, she would have and should have taken him to a vet? The manager just shrugged. She added that she would have to write me up for it.
                            Meanwhile she quicked nails but didn't refund the client NOR did she write herself up.
                            I have talked to several corporate groomers & the Mgr always seems to deal with this on the groomer's day off. They always seem to give a refund so the groomer never gets paid. Makes you say Hmmm...
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Tell her she can do it next time!!! See if she can do any better & not complain to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X