Patchy hair after 1st shavedowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patchy hair after 1st shavedowns

I groomed 2 dogs today, both were chow mixes- not related either but looked alot alike and very similar hair types. They have never been shaved before, but the client wanted to try it because she doesn't have time for brushing like she used to.

They were fairly packed with undercoat, especially the hind area. Both dogs had patchy areas that looked thinner. Although the skin was healthy looking to me. There weren't any redness or discolorations, no swelling or icky skin of any kind. And they are blowing their coat, hunks of hair would just come right out. So I believed the patchy thinner areas were from thick undercoat blowing out. So they didn't have a very smooth look, even with the CV going in reverse with a #5F blade.

So my question is for all you very experienced heavy coated shavedown groomers- is this pretty common for densely packed undercoats who already started blowing coat?

At first my client never said a thing about the patches, but I mentioned to her that I believed it was from coat blowing. She did say that they have been leaving really good sized clumps of hair around the house because of a lack of brushing. She wasn't disappointed at all, she didn't care. But I did. I felt like the quality of my grooming was very poor because of it.

It could be that they both have some thyroid or adrenal issues.
    Heavy coated breeds don't show the hair loss as bad when they are in full coat, as say, short haired breeds. Blowing coat shouldn't make the dog appear as if it has balding or thinning patches.

Comment

Many times when I get dogs like that, I blast them with the HV again after I get them clipped. That usually brings all that undercoat out. It's often trapped in itself, and under the outer coat, if that makes sense. Once you get them clipped, the HV just brings it all out.

Comment

Try not to be so hard on yourself. I have found w/some of my OAY's that the same thing happens. I used to drive myself nuts trying to make them look perfect which is just about impossible for those in such bad shape. I found over the years that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and some of these OAY's are pigs....lol

Seriously though the owners are happy because the dog looks and smells150% better than when they brought them in and the dog feels 500% better than when he came in. You did your job and did it well. Pat yourself on the back and save your "perfecting" for the regular clients who will appreciate it.
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have done a lot of shave downs on chow mixes and usually even if they are blowing coat they have new coat as well. Those types of dogs will loose more hair in the spring and it will get trapped in the coat and make the coat very dense if left a lone for too long it will mat. If the mats are bad enough they can pull on the skin which in turn will pull on the new coat and cause hair loss. I see this more in cats than in dogs. But I have seen it before. I have also seen patchy spots on older dogs. Another cause of hair loss could be medical such as ringworm, mange, flea bite dermatitis, thyroid problems, there are lots of causes.

Comment

After removing the excess coat, card the coat and then finish with final clip. It will be much smoother and really shouldn't need to be reversed to get a smooth clip then.

Comment

This is a completely different type of balding, but thought I'd still add it to the thread. I clipped/shaved a Shih last week that had these little bald spots all around his neck/collar area. This poor lil' guy was soooo matted, no choice but to completely shave him. So when owner arrived to pick him up I pointed out the spots that were balding and told her the possibilities of what could be causing it. She quickly chimed in and said I think they are actually from when I tried to cut the mats out of him last year. She said she finally quit chopping becuase she kept getting his skin along with the mats. I couldn't help but shiver...Poor dog! After she told me that, I looked closer and some were definitely spots of scar tissue, the others I have no idea. Sometimes we just do our best and like what Sheilab said - definitely don't beat ourselves up over it. You did good Crystal!

Comment

I agree with poodlefluff. I've seen it on cats, and some dogs. Where it's like there's no fluffy undercoat, only some scraggly guard hairs. For me, it's always been underneat matted hair, so maybe when you shaved these guys you didn't notice the matting, or...they had matts that the owner brushed/pulled out before the grooming and the undercoat didnt have time to grow back in. I show the owner's on the pets I do like this and explain that it's due to the matting that the hair can't grow back in properly. Sometimes it takes a long time to correct it.
                Erin
                No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Come to think of it, I had a couple cats before that were so thickly matted the mats just tore off some of the hair and left patches.

They weren't bald areas, just thinner. Like there was just no undercoat in those patchy areas.

I thought if I used my furminator and carded some it would make it look better, but it wasn't a big difference. If I could've used the HV dryer after clipping maybe that would've helped. Although these 2 dogs were extremely stressed over using the HV dryer, so I had to keep it to a minimum. They have never been professionally groomed, so they had no experience with the HV. maybe next time I can use it more.

I did tell my client that since she rebooked her next appointment they would probably grow in really well as long as it wasn't a medical reason for it. They are scheduled for annual checkups next week, so I told her to atleast have the vet look at the areas just to make sure it wasn't some thyroid or imbalance of some kind.

Comment

Working...
                  X