Poor little Zoey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor little Zoey

I made a call to remind Zoey the maltese's owner that she will be due for a haircut in a couple of weeks so she could make an appointment and she told me that Zoey broke both front legs when jumping down off her cousin's lap a couple of weeks ago and the vet wanted to do surgery but they couldn't afford to put money down or pay the rest up front after the surgery so they decided to put casts on and hope the bones will heal themselves.

The poor thing she is so tiny and she is only a year old with tracheal issues and luxating patellas.

Is is normal for such young small dogs to break bones jumping a couple of feet to the ground?

They are supposed to call me in a month or so if all is healed well when she gets her casts off to give her a smoothie so they don't have to worry about brushing or combing her and injuring her anymore.

I am going to have to have someone hold her up or lay her on her side to clip her belly and pads.

I do believe

it's pretty common. I've seen it multiple times. Poor little thing.

Comment

so sad

I blame the breeders. why do they keep making them so small.... I know there sweet and precious.... but so fragile.

Comment

It's not at all unusual for toy breeds to have fragile bones, especially as puppies. Considering the dog's other problems, I'd say she got a double whammy.

Poor baby. The fragile bones may not be avoidable when breeding toys, but the luxating patellas? That's genetic, and it's unforgiveable to breed dogs who have them, or have produced them. But we all know how that goes.

Comment

It is sad though =(
          "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

I have been contacting any and all agencies vets I know but most have used their (charitable donation funds already) in case she needs further treatment I hope the casts do the trick for her.

Comment

Most toy breeds are susceptible to break bones. They should not be allowed to climb up and jump down. Hope he heals fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                I have been contacting any and all agencies vets I know but most have used their (charitable donation funds already) in case she needs further treatment I hope the casts do the trick for her.
                Chances are good that they'll heal just fine. Doing surgery to fix broken bones is a fairly recent development. They used to just set them, cast them, and forget them for 6 weeks. And most of the time everything turned out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                  Chances are good that they'll heal just fine. Doing surgery to fix broken bones is a fairly recent development. They used to just set them, cast them, and forget them for 6 weeks. And most of the time everything turned out fine.
                  That's hopeful to hear the lady is older and a little slow this dog is her best friend in the whole world which is why she was excited to have me come groom her at her house she didn't want to leave her anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X