30+ St Poodles removed in Solebury Township,Pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30+ St Poodles removed in Solebury Township,Pa

On Thursday, April 15, 2010, Bucks County SPCA Humane Officers and State Dog Wardens removed over 30 Standard Poodles from a home in Solebury Township. You can see video of the story featured on Action News (6ABC) by clicking here. The dogs and one cat removed from the home are now settling in to our shelter, where they will have to stay for an undertermined amount of time. Our staff and volunteers are committed to providing the best care to all animals, including this group. Donations are always greatly appreciated, especially when there is such a large number of animals brought to our shelter at one time. Visit our Wish List page to see our most needed items by clicking here. The animals are not available for adoption at this present time. If you are interested in adopting one of the poodles, please visit our shelter during normal business hours to be placed on a waiting list.....

http://www.bcspca.org/
    http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/video?id=7388970

At this moment... "speechless"...

Comment

They stated that the dogs were in reasonably good condition; they all looked to be in reasonably good shape. No 2 years of dreadlocks.
      Dogs seemed happy and friendly.
      The owner was feeding barf; they stated the fridge was full of raw meat.
      I hope she gets a good lawyer.
      It is too sad when someone's dogs are taken away on the say so of a rescue group, that doesn't believe that anyone should have more than one or two spayed pets.
      There is nothing wrong with being a breeder; there is a problem in that this was a residential area and not licensed to be a kennel. The home owner did have a right not to have someone rent her house to breed dogs in.
      JMO
      Deidre

Comment

Originally posted by edderland View Post
        They stated that the dogs were in reasonably good condition; they all looked to be in reasonably good shape. No 2 years of dreadlocks.
        Dogs seemed happy and friendly.
        The owner was feeding barf; they stated the fridge was full of raw meat.
        I hope she gets a good lawyer.
        It is too sad when someone's dogs are taken away on the say so of a rescue group, that doesn't believe that anyone should have more than one or two spayed pets.
        There is nothing wrong with being a breeder; there is a problem in that this was a residential area and not licensed to be a kennel. The home owner did have a right not to have someone rent her house to breed dogs in.
        JMO
        Deidre
        I think they raid it, because its a Puppymill, not a responsible Breeder..

Comment

I wouldn't think the landlord was aware of how many dogs were being kept inside, I can't imagine any landlord letting you keep that many dogs in a rental home or apartment.

It is kind of sad actually the lady obviously has issues to live that way.

Comment

I watched the video, and also did a little search on the web. I'm suspicious of the actual conditions and the true level of "filth" the animal control is reporting. A quick google search shows this breeder not only showed dogs (pics of show wins) but also OFA, VetGen, CERF, thyroid testing, etc, and a quick search at the OFA website backs that up. Also feeding a raw diet...this isn't exactly what should be classified as a "puppymill." Did she have more dogs than she should have for where she was keeping them, sounds like it. Was she totally honest with the owner of the house when she rented it, probably not from the sound of things. Was white carpet turned brown? Well, white carpet is indeed hard to keep white when you have a lot of dogs. I don't doubt they found "bone shards" since she feeds raw and certainly sounds like the refer could have been kept cleaner. Did she make a poor choice on where to keep her dogs...obviously.

However, I am not yet convinced this is a legitimate raid, and deflinitely do not believe this was a "puppymill." It does demonstrate that responsible breeders do need to be careful to keep things taken care of and to be sure they are housing their dogs in appropriate facilities. It may work fine to keep a few dogs in a home environment, but multiple dogs do require top notch care and an appropriate place to keep them, and in this day and age, it is difficult to fly under the radar. If your area requires a kennel permit, either get one or move!

Comment

I thought that they usually give people a week or so to find homes for their dogs before they start taking them. I understand that if the dogs were in poor health or weren't being taken care of then they take them on the spot. I know that every state is different, but I would think they would give the lady a warning and give her a certain period of time to find homes for dogs and get things cleaned up. It doesn't seem right to take the dogs without giving the lady a chance to at least clean up and thin out the number of dogs she has. They said the dogs all seemed to be in decent shape. She obviously wasn't abusing the dogs.

Comment

I bitch can give ya 30 puppies real quick ! let's not jump to conclusions, it may be a fellow board member.

Comment

Ditto what the others said. I too hope she finds a good lawyer.

I am always amazed when I see these videos showing happy, well fed, groomed dogs being seized by "rescue" groups.

***IF*** she was in violation of her rental agreement or local kennel laws, she should have been given notice and an opportunity to comply. Raiding someone's home and seizing their property is just sick, and a violation of a person's civil rights.
                  Last edited by D'tails; 04-19-10, 02:23 PM.

Comment

You know - watching the video - the dogs looked healthy and well fed... Not a clear case of abuse to me. We all know that c**p and pee happens, and some dogs will be put into their crates without water... does a dog always need to have access to water in his crate?? Solebury is a VERY ritzy area. It is just outside of New Hope. I think at one point in time there were more millionaires per captia in that little area than anywhere else in the country... I betcha someone did not like her dogs barking...

Comment

I thought the same thing..sounds like a rescue group swooping in..the dogs in the video didn't look abused at all..From the looks of the property, that's no cheap digs..so I wonder what the real problem was that sent the Landlord off. I hope she has a good lawyer too.

Comment

Originally posted by barknpurr View Post
                        the dogs looked healthy and well fed... Not a clear case of abuse to me. We all know that c**p and pee happens, and some dogs will be put into their crates without water... does a dog always need to have access to water in his crate??
                        They looked in pretty good condition to me also; maybe a little dirty and needing a haircut or something but I didn't see any dreadlocks or skin and bones. I DON'T put water in with Mousse and Scarlett for the simple reason they get so rambunctious they knock it over (I learned my lesson the hard way).
                        Sounds like somebody got mad about the barking or something and made several complaints. there's a side of this story that we haven't heard.
                        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                        Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                        *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

I think it was the landlord who was interviewed and yes, she had a right to be angry that the house was being used as a kennel. However, that's a different issue and not a reason for animal control to seize the dogs and say they were abused.

Comment

wow. unfortunately, I've met a lot of "rescuers" that are more like "fanaticals". I hope everyone out there that is so gung ho on licensing will take some of this story into consideration. we all need to follow the rules, but who makes 'em?

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                              I watched the video, and also did a little search on the web. I'm suspicious of the actual conditions and the true level of "filth" the animal control is reporting. A quick google search shows this breeder not only showed dogs (pics of show wins) but also OFA, VetGen, CERF, thyroid testing, etc, and a quick search at the OFA website backs that up. Also feeding a raw diet...this isn't exactly what should be classified as a "puppymill." Did she have more dogs than she should have for where she was keeping them, sounds like it. Was she totally honest with the owner of the house when she rented it, probably not from the sound of things. Was white carpet turned brown? Well, white carpet is indeed hard to keep white when you have a lot of dogs. I don't doubt they found "bone shards" since she feeds raw and certainly sounds like the refer could have been kept cleaner. Did she make a poor choice on where to keep her dogs...obviously.

However, I am not yet convinced this is a legitimate raid, and deflinitely do not believe this was a "puppymill." It does demonstrate that responsible breeders do need to be careful to keep things taken care of and to be sure they are housing their dogs in appropriate facilities. It may work fine to keep a few dogs in a home environment, but multiple dogs do require top notch care and an appropriate place to keep them, and in this day and age, it is difficult to fly under the radar. If your area requires a kennel permit, either get one or move!
                              Very well said.. I heard there Nicely Breed Poodles..

Comment

Working...
                              X