Ripped pad help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripped pad help!!!!

Took my poodle to the dog park today where he promptly decided it would be a great idea to rip a dime sized, decently thick chunk of pad out on each front foot.

I've dealt with cracked pads and dry pads but not one that has been ripped! Maybe there's a disconnect because he's my baby and I'm worried for him but do you treat them the same way?!

Stupid me didn't have any vet wrap and all the stores are closed for the night (way to go, me) and we just moved so I can't find my bag balm. Packed somewheres around here...*grumble grumble*

Atm he has a thick dollop of neosporin+pain reliever with a makeshift gauze-and-duct-tape wrap around each foot which is then covered by two socks (in an attempt to keep him from walking the wrap off) that is also duct taped. He looks pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

Hubby also lost his job two weeks ago (can you tell this month just keeps getting better and better? Moved, adopted mom died, husband lost his job which in turn made us lose our church....I couldn't make this up) so we can't afford anything TOO over the top so I'm hoping to avoid our vet.

So now I turn to you, wise forum members: What can I do?
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Keep doing

What you are doing. That is what I would do, Duct tape works great, They will thicken up soon and you will never know it happened. Good luck to you. will keep you in my prayers

Comment

Is it still bleeding?

If so dampen a tea bag and hold it to the site. the tannic will kick off the clotting process. I'm sorry but I'm not qualified to offer advice on pad care post trauma, I'm sure others will chime in.

Comment

use something firm like a piece of plastic and wrap it to the bottom of the foot so protect the pad.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

How does losing his job affect your church??? Keep doing what you are doing and keep a close eye out for signs of infection. Its very annoying when dogs do these types of injuries and its always after hours.

Comment

You did fine; they will heal and granulate back in. If you can find the bag balm, that works great too, if not just keep up the neo and bandage with a sock.
            Deidre

Comment

Sounds like you're doing the right thing! My St. Poo ripped his while running once and that's about what I did. I'm under the impression that making sure to stop the bleeding is all you can do.

Comment

Years ago due to a dog kicking and brand new razor sharp shears, I cut a hunk off a dogs pad. I wrapped it in gauze and taped the heck out of it and sent the owner to the vet. She later told me the vet said why are you here, the groomer(me) did a great job of wrapping. He said just keep changing the bandage so it wouldn't stick and it will heal in no time. The next time the dog came in, 6 weeks, you could hardly tell. It freaked me out. Someone here mentioned sugar, that they used to use it during the old wars and poured it directly on an open wound and it has great healing proprties....I don't know, something to research?

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
                  How does losing his job affect your church???
                  He was a pastor at my home church. I've been a member there for 16 years; together we'd been there for 5. They, uh, didn't treat us very "neighbor-ly".

The bleeding has stopped, and wonder of wonders, he's actually kinda been keeping the socks on. If I put something hard underneath it, what should it be and where should I get it? For some reason I'm envisioning a splint but that would make it really hard for him to walk so I know that ain't right...and thanks to all for the replies! I feel better now.
                  There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yappiness View Post
                    Someone here mentioned sugar, that they used to use it during the old wars and poured it directly on an open wound and it has great healing proprties....I don't know, something to research?
                    You have to flush out the wound, debride it and make sure any bleeding has stopped. Then you pour on/in the granulated sugar and cover with a dressing soaked in betadine.

The sugar absorbs fluids in the area until it turns to syrup. While turning to syrup it creates osmotic shock in the bacteria inhabiting the wound. To keep up the good work the sugar needs to be rinsed out and replaced when it turns to fluid.

I believe there is a commercial mixture called "sugardine" on the market - a mix of sygar and betadine. Works the same way. Just costs more.

Comment

When Isis had her pad injury, I took her to the vet cause I was freaked out too. After seeing what they did, I wished I hadn't, I could have done just as well at home. Change the dressing at least twice a day. If it is raining out, put trash bags over his dressings to keep them dry. Dress w/ vet tape, telfa pad (basically non-stick wound pad), and neosporin. It will heal faster than you can believe. After a week there was full covering of the wound w/ soft tissue and after 2 weeks it had started to toughen up again. Probably the only thing I was worried about was the pain, for her there was a lot of weight bearing down on those front feet (great dane), so vet gave us some pain relief, but I probably could have just used a pain relief spray or the neosporin w/ pain relief in it. The vet gave us some antibiotics just to ward off infection, but between those, the feet being wrapped 24/7, and using the foot soak he gave us, she developed a severe yeast infection between her toes that took about 6 months to completely heal. I realize he was just trying to help her, but I wish some vets weren't so antibiotic happy. Basically, just keep doing what you have been, change dressing at least 2x's a day and protect it from getting wet outside.
                      I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                      -Michelangelo

Comment

Will he need antibiotics?

I have no idea. I almost think you need a different username so as not to attract disasters. maybe an opposite type name . Like "everythingis alwayshunkydorie." Just a thought. Hope he heals fast. People here will surely help you.

Comment

Be very careful using duct tape. Working for a vet, I saw way more serious injuries from owner's use of duct tape than the original injury the owner was attempting to tape up! Saw a dog lose a foot once due to the duct tape used to tape up a ripped pad.

Comment

Originally posted by hairlessdogmom View Post
                            What you are doing. That is what I would do, Duct tape works great, They will thicken up soon and you will never know it happened. Good luck to you. will keep you in my prayers
                            this is what I would do also .

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                              Be very careful using duct tape. Working for a vet, I saw way more serious injuries from owner's use of duct tape than the original injury the owner was attempting to tape up! Saw a dog lose a foot once due to the duct tape used to tape up a ripped pad.
                              Don't worry we got some vet wrap today, the duct tape is now only holding the socks on and it's not touching anything but the sock. We tried a McGyver-type maneuver just for the evening last night 'til we could get to the nearest Petsmart. (on a slightly unrelated note I thought I'd just see if they had any bag balm and the employee looked at me like I was crazy) We will be changing it out 2x a day as per you lovely folks instructions. I hope it heals fast, it hurts my heart seeing him hobble around.

Oh Jennever, if only. If only.

Comment

Working...
                              X