Scared......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared......

So, I've been spoiled for almost 7 yrs. having no one else within 7-8 miles with a grooming shop. I'm on the outskirts of town by about 5 miles. A girl I know who groomed for a friend of mine who owns a kennel about 7 miles away is opening up a shop right in my town. Right now I'm scared to death that everyone is going to want to go there instead because it's so much closer. I've worked so hard for 7 yrs. to acquire what I have. I started grooming in my bathroom and 2 yrs. ago I was lucky enough to get a home equity loan and transform my garage into a shop which I love so much. Am I worrying too much? If clients REALLY like you they'll stay with you right? What are all of your experiences with businesses moving in? I knew eventually this would happen. I really love what I do, I'm so attached to the pups and kitties that come, and I'm so afraid to lose it all.

Hopefully, people are loyal and will stay with you. There will be a few people who will try the new place. I groom in my home. I called one of the grooming salons in town to check her prices. She was NEVER at the shop. Soon after I called she moved from a small building to a house next door and is advertising for boarding. My phonecall must have scared her. I wonder how she could even stay open much less expand. But I am still getting new customers every week.

Comment

Some will try it a few will stay but if you have a trusting relationship with your cliants they will come back to you and be less likely to leave. Just like everything else there are always choices byt what draws you back to the same stores over and over again to shop.

Comment

Don't be too afraid. A few may try the new place, but 7 years is a long time, and your clients should stick with you. Do an outstanding groom job, keep your shop spotless, and love your clients and their pets. You have the advantage here.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Well, to be honest, I'm sure that some will not stick with you. Be it the pricing, location, whatever, there are always fickle clients out there. That doesn't always have any reflection on you, remember that.

But what worries me is how little confidence you have in yourself! Being nervous is one thing, but scared shitless is another! If you don't have faith in yourself, how can you expect your clients to?

Be expecting SOME to change...but remember that there's still only two of you. Hell, there's a grooming shop every block it seems out here and there's still more than enough to go around. And don't budge on your pricing! Even if she's below you. People need to understand that they get what they pay for.
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I can understand why you might be scared, but if your customers feel that you treat their dog special they will probably stay with you. You might loose a couple for convenience (sp) but the majority will probably stay. I have customers that travel 10 miles or more to come to me and they I know they pass shops on their way. I do both housecalls and some grooming out of my home. They are entrusting a part of their family with you and if they feel that you care and treat them special they will still drive the extra miles for you to groom their dogs. Heck, 5 miles really isn't that far.

Comment

wait until they advertise "we accept competors coupons" and put a coupon in that expires in Dec and is for 50% off full grooms...new clients only.....hehehehe

Comment

I hate to be a negative nellie but in this day and age you SHOULD be nervous and scared.
                I just relocated my business from a shop to my home 5 miles farther south. I had the shop 5 years and had groomed most of my clients for that whole 5 years. In January I closed the shop, moved out of one house and relocated both to my current location. Sadly I have lost probably 50+ clients because "it's too far out of the way" for them to go when there are 13 other shops in the old area.
                I wasn't the highest prices, I wasn't the cheapest but I can tell you this; I was the ONLY one who did scissor work in town and I cared about the quality of work that went out the door.
                I can only hope I regain some of those clients but not only does it come down to price and quality...convenience is starting to be a factor in keeping some clients.

I do hope you keep your clients that you've worked so hard to attain.
                ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Wow, some of these posts are pretty blunt, which I guess is what I need. I really didn't mean to sound so pitiful and come across as having no confidence. Truly, I LOVE my shop and my work, I'm particular about how the dogs/cats leave, my shop is neat as a pin, (just ask my daughter who helps me clean it every day, I can be a bit of a tyrant when it comes to that , I think I have a great relationship with my clients, I don't think there is anyone that comes that doesn't think I just love their pets right to death. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but this is a rural area and convenience seems to be at the top of everyone's list these days, at the same time so is pricing which I know I'm ahead of with her. And I don't mean that I'm really mad because this is happenning, everyone has a right to do what they like for a living. Really, I just wanted everyone elses's experience with this stuff. I haven't had to deal with it B4, so I guess in that area I am a bit unconfident. I've had a job for years that I loved B4 and out of the blue I lost it, so, yes, I'm well aware that what you love can be taken away so quickly, and this would be way worse than losing that job. As always, thanks for all your honest answers and thanks for the encouraging words.

Comment

Boy I just reread my post and that did not come across as encouraging....sorry. I try to be tactful but I still don't come across well sometimes.

I meant what I said but I meant it as more of a motivational type, like, 'Hey, be confident and you'll be fine!'

And focus on the fact that you now have someone to refer all your nasty clients too. *evil chuckle*
                    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

You'll be great!

I want to encourage you to not loose your courage! The wonderful C.K.C. judge that I learned grooming from always said that you should never worry if a groomer opens down the block from you. There is a different market niche for each of us, and good competition keeps us learning and growing in our profession. She would say, "Just think how there is a different hamburger place on each corner - and they're all busy!"

Comment

I spent the whole day redecorating my shop, it's so cute! It needed it anyway and I love to decorate so it helped in two ways. I'm going to try to not let this get me down. I've been with the same hairdresser for about 13 yrs., mainly because I just love her so I'm going to try to be upbeat and hope that at least most of my clients will be as loyal and stay with me because they just love me! Thank you again for all of your thoughts and words.

Comment

Working...
                        X