Distemper outbreak in the Seattle area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distemper outbreak in the Seattle area

Make sure your pets are up to date on their vaccinations. Notify your clients as well.

http://www.king5.com/news/environmen...-91049014.html
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Scary they didn't mention kitties. Cats hang around with racoons all the time outside especially the feral cats. I used to see one of my cats hanging out with skunks across from my deck.

Comment

Cats are not affected by Canine Distemper. Feline Distemper and Canine Distemper are very different diseases.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
        Cats are not affected by Canine Distemper. Feline Distemper and Canine Distemper are very different diseases.
        Oh so racoons only get canine distemper?

Comment

Raccoons can get feline distemper, but the current outbreak is in canine distemper. So the risk to cats is not higher than "normal."

Comment

Originally posted by sarahliz View Post
            Raccoons can get feline distemper, but the current outbreak is in canine distemper. So the risk to cats is not higher than "normal."
            Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

This really comes as no surprise. I predict we'll hear about a lot more outbreaks in the coming years. There have already been several on the east coast. And not just distemper, but parvo too.

Why? Because people don't vaccinate like they used to. With all the controversy over how often is too often, and vaccines causing everything from autoimmune diseases to cancer, people are afraid to vaccinate. And one very notable vet has been of the opinion that once a dog has recieved the puppy series, followed by a one year "booster" it's no longer necessary to vaccinate.

It was believed that distemper and parvo are mainly diseases of puppies and the elderly. But since the decline of regular vaccinations for these diseases, they're once again starting to crop up in adult dogs.

Comment

Working...
              X