Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you think of a story like this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you think of a story like this one?

I groom my 8yr old daughters reading teachers' dog's every 2 weeks. Yesterday when Mrs W. came in to get Bell and Maggie she had a strange and rather disturbing story to tell me about Charlotte.

At the school the kids are taken enmasse to use the bathroom and get a drink of water. Boys in one line and girls in the other and they go in 2 at a time. When one comes out another goes in....etc. Yesterday Char and another girl were at the end of the line. The other girl came out first so Char was alone for a few moments and when she came out she was running, white faced and obviously scared.

It took a bit of coaxing for the teachers to find out what was wrong. What she said was that she had washed her hands and was standing in front of the mirror looking at her hair (My oldest daughter fixed it for her in a cute high bun that morning) when she saw a grey "thing" in the mirror standing behind her w/no eyes, ears or nose. It only had a mouth and was taller than her daddy and when she turned to look there was nothing there. Two of the teachers went in the bathroom immediately to investigate. There was nothing or no one in there. While they were talking to Charlotte they were in the corridor in sight of the bathroom door so no one could have gone in or left w/out them noticing.

Her teacher said that for the rest of the day Char refused to go to the bathroom and she was obviously uneasy whenever they even walked by it going to library and recess. They debated calling me but decided this would be better told in person and since Mrs W was picking her dogs up she was elected. I could tell she was uncomfortable telling me this but don't know if it's because she believed her or if she thinks she's suddenly mentally disturbed or what. A story like this is TOTALLY out of character for Char. She has not been "acting out" in any other way like kids will do when they are unable to communicate if something or someone is bothering them.

When I got home I casually asked her how school was. She didn't fess up to the bathroom incident so I asked her if anything unusual happened (her teacher and I decided I wouldn't tell her what I knew, but see if she would tell it the same and she did). Y'all, this is where I got freaked because besides seeing she was really freaked when she was telling us (me and her dad) I noticed that the hair on her arms and legs was standing up as she was talking.

I do believe that she saw something that terrified her. I just don't know what. She has never been a child that is afraid of the boogeyman or things that go bump in the night. She doesn't need a night light, never makes us check the closet or under the bed. She's not a natural story teller and when she does tell a fib or tries to do a tall tale she can't stop herself from smirking or shifting her eyes. There was none of those cues yesterday when she was telling us her story. I have racked my brain to think of any t.v shows that she might have seen that could explain this but nothing comes to mind.

Other than acting scared during the telling she was totally fine last night. She wasn't scared to to play outside by herself or go to bed and she ate all her dinner. She never mentioned it again.

If this was your 8 yr old what would you think?
    SheilaB from SC

She saw a spirit. Never seen one but have felt some so I believe that such things exist.

Poor thing. Let us know how she makes out. They have a whole show of kids that see spirits all the time I can't imagine a life like that as a young child.
    Last edited by Dog Daze; 04-17-10, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Poor baby, maybe she is one of those kids that see things other people don't. But you're right, it doesn't sound like she is making it up.

Comment

I don't think she is making it up. It does sound like she saw something. Something very similar happened to me when I was about her age. It was late at night and I was going to my parents room and in the doorway I saw this man with his arms folded looking down at me. I screeemed and the figure went fading into the closet. It never happened again but I will never forget it and I wasn't making it up.

Comment

Hubby wants to know if there is any history of that sort of thing in your area or in the school.

Comment

I certainly wouldnt make too much out of it if she is behaving normally otherwise. sometimes we project our own thoughts, ideas and feelings onto our children ( well intentioned of course). but kids will pick up our cues and may act accordingly. if you believe she is telling the truth, im sure she is. be open to her if she wants to talk. dont down play what she saw, but turn into something its not either. a lot of people have had some sort of psychic experience during their lifetime, it does not necessarily mean they are psychic. it may be an isolated incident. if she is not behaving out of character, let her deal with it. she knows she can talk to you and your husband if she needs to. continue to ask about her day, but dont press this issue too much. you dont want to create a fear.

Comment

Wow, that is kind of a .. neat and at the same time scary story. I don't have kids so I have no advice but I do believe there are things out there that cant be explained by science.

Comment

Shadow people. They exist, I swear it. She is not making it up. She needs to be assured they will not hurt her. This weekend, I will try to write a blog entry on my shop "ghost" that we all came into contact with. He loved to steal nail clippers. When I moved sh ops he stayed in the old building and the new tenants see him too......I would bet that something is up with the location of the school. Just a hunch. I have been exposed to these things all my life from the place I grew up in Boston to here in SW GA. They dont freak me out anymore......maybe they SHOULD but they dont.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I believe

There is much that cannot be explained... yet... My father has been dead for 14 years, and he still shows signs that he's around occasionally, and all of my family members who have been to a psychic (different pcyshics, who know nothing about us) have been told that he goes from person to person and watches over them as they need him. My sister was told that he spends a lot more time around me lately as I have the little ones. Haven't noticed anything strange lately... so maybe he's at my other sister's who just had a Baby in January.

I had a lot of strange "psychic" moments around age 11-12... and almost nothing since. It was the coolest sensation. When you think about something, you are using a certain part of your brain to "think" you are in control of the action of "thinking" but when I had one of those psychic moments, I would have a thought without actually "thinking" If that makes any sense to you... usually whatever thought I had would happen withing a few hours.

I almost totally forgot about that until I read this thread.

I wouldn't be too concerned... just open to the new information about the mysteries of the world... and hopefully these scary incidences don't happen to your young daughter often, cause I could imagine how frightening it could be. Maybe do some research and see if anything ever "happened" at that school or in the washroom.

Comment

I have two thoughts...

One, I do believe there are spirits among us and I too have seen shadow people. Talk to you daughter about that possibility and let her know that the spirits won't harm her even though it may have looked scary. Now another possiblity it for those that don't believe in spirits would be that there was a smudge or imperfection in the mirror (since it was grey and most shadow people are dark like a shadow). At your daughter's height, the smudge or imperfection may have appeared to be something else behind her. Since the teachers are taller, it wasn't visible to them. Either way I do believe that your daughter saw something.
                    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                      One, I do believe there are spirits among us and I too have seen shadow people. Talk to you daughter about that possibility and let her know that the spirits won't harm her even though it may have looked scary. Now another possiblity it for those that don't believe in spirits would be that there was a smudge or imperfection in the mirror (since it was grey and most shadow people are dark like a shadow). At your daughter's height, the smudge or imperfection may have appeared to be something else behind her. Since the teachers are taller, it wasn't visible to them. Either way I do believe that your daughter saw something.
                      that is a very intelligent point you make about the smudge above. I don't doubt your daughter thinks she has seen something that obviously has scared her. Children are more apt to see spirits if they are present due to there innocent nature and open mindedness that most adults have been programed to disbelieve . I would not make a big deal of it to her as for the school bathroom her teacher my wish to accompany her for a time until her fear has subsided .

Comment

I'm glad everyone is so supportive. I too think these things can happen. And, along with others here, back when I was that age I really think I saw things too. I imagine as we "grow up" we somehow loose, or choose to loose that ability. We learn/become educated and our focus changes.

Good luck

Comment

My daughter, now 33 years old, had a certain "sense" about spirits from the time she was about 8 years old until she was a teenager. She is still fascinated with spirits and ghosts, but hasn't had connections for a very long time. Tell me how a little girl would know what her great-grandmother (her namesake) would be wearing in her casket? She knew, I don't know how - it was also the dress Grandma wore to our wedding...
                          How did she know that an old house we were looking at was haunted? (she was a teenager at the time) She wouldn't go near it. Years later I met the people who had owned it and eventually ripped it down because of some nasty occurrences that had no worldly explanations.

There is so much we don't know...

Comment

i will always remember...

my old back yard a random hole appeared..no one knows where it came from but we would see a person always sitting looking down on it like they were thinking about something...they were blurry and i aways remember..she was wearing a blue dress dark hair..but you could not see her expression, her face was just a blur..we would always see her around when we walked around our yard..you would see footprints around the hole in the winter..but they never lead anywhere...it was so weird...my parents always thought i was lying...and they never believed me even though other people have saw it and they obviously saw the footprints!

anyways!
                            I agree, just assure her they won't hurt her..let her know that it's okay and not be afraid..i think the most important thing is to just let her know you are there for her...that's a very scary story...

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13
                              Children are more apt to see spirits if they are present due to there innocent nature and open mindedness that most adults have been programed to disbelieve
                              This is very true!

My son saw something when he was 4, up in the sky. He was playing in the back yard (I was watching from the patio door) and he was running and playing (being a kid), well all of a sudden he stopped dead in his tracks, looked up for a few moments, then came running up to the house and told me "I saw gramma up in the clouds" She had passed away about 6 months prior and I do honestly believe he had seen her and possibly she could have spoken to him. It was just soooooo random that he would just stop doing what he was doing and look up.

I have personally seen and heard things in the past and KNOW what I saw and heard, so I don't discount anything that may seem a bit strange to others. A friend of mine worked for a Hospice and one of his patients kept saying 3 angels were visiting his room (regularly) so someone snapped a picture and it did look like angels (3 of them) hovering around his bed.

As for your little girl, just carry on as usual, unless she seems to be having a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X