Who does the money belong to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who does the money belong to?

Ever since I learned that National Cat Groomers Institute of America had arranged with a lab to buy shaved dirty kitty hair we have been saving kitty hair. This lab pays $114 per POUND of kitty hair. My coworkers didn't really believe me, but they saved the hair. My bosses said they didn't care, it was "my" deal.

I finally got set up with the lab and just sent in 14 pounds of kitty hair. My co-workers are finally taking me serious and we are discussing how we are going to spend the money. One co-worker (non-groomer wanted to split the money from the hair we shave off his kitty). I wanted to put the money back into the grooming department (I work at a vet clinic) and upgrade for tools that we normally wouldn't be able to afford. I also thought we could use the money to attend seminars.

Sorry, just a little bit more background. There are four groomers at the clinic. The clinic provides all the tools except mine. I choose to buy my own tools because I've always thought that I wanted to start my own salon. So when I leave my work I will take all my stuff with me, because I bought it. They pay for sharpening. The groomers don't have to pay for anything, they even will buy our grooming clothes. I spent a lot of my own money, but again I do that at my choice.

I told the other groomers to put together a "wish list". First up is getting a clipper vac for the groomer I'm training. The other two groomers want a particular dryer. One of the groomers thinks the items bought with the money should belong to the groomer, or at the least she should be able to pay ME to buy the item if they decide to leave the clinic.

I think the money should go back into grooming (so we aren't going to split the money with kitty hair owner donors) but I think the items purchased ultimately belong to the clinic. But then I thought, what if I had a pair of scissors on my "wish list" and would I really want to leave them.

I need all your feedback! What would you do as an employee or if you were the employer? Our bosses allow us to manage ourselves so I'm sure they will stand by whatever the four groomers decide (I think at least, once they get the check for $1,500 +, they may change their minds).
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Wow that is a lot of money and I am sure would be nice bonuses for people. How about a compromise? This first check for 1500 goes to upgrade equipment, and the next 1500 gets split between you all for mad money?

Honestly, it seems to me that they money should go to you all, not to the hospital and if you upgrade equipment the hospital gets to keep it as any of you leave. If I was spending that kind of money on equipment that would stay in the hosp even if I left, Id feel like it was a waste.

Comment

The money belongs to the clinic, so the money should go to tools for grooming that are left at the clinic, you are an employee and what you produce there is theirs. That is the lgality of it,it would be nice if they gave each of you something, a cut or scissors etc. Thats alot of bald @#$$^!! lol
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I personally think that since it was your idea, and I'm assuming you're the one that is a CFMG? I think that you should be able to buy yourself something. None of this money would be possible if it wasn't for all your time and effort you put into your CFMG training. Maybe 1/4 of the money could go to you since there are 4 groomers and then the rest of the money can go towards equipment for the other 3 groomers to use. That seems fair IMO.

Comment

IMO, the money goes for new equipment, and other things that benefit everyone rather than individuals. Maybe the group gets treated to a special lunch, and the rest goes to clippervac, tables, etc.

Ultimately, the money belongs to the clinic, but I'd want to be sure the owner is on board with spending it for equipment/upgrades. Even if it was your idea, everyone has been chipping in and the owner of the clinic pays you guys and brings the hair in the door.

Comment

I have to agree with odette

it really doesnt matter who started this, the money belongs to the company. its great that the owners allow you to manage yourselves. my opinion is the money should be used to upgrade equipment ( to stay in the shop), and I think extra monies spent on additonal training, seminars, or certifications for all groomers is a great idea. any knowledge you each gain will follow YOU wherever you go. good luck.

Comment

If this is a pet project by the groomers, researched and all carried out by the groomers, I don't see why the money belongs to the clinic. If I went to my boss about wanting to do something like that to make extra money, he would tell me to "go for it" as long as it didnt cost the company money and there was no legal issue.

Comment

Wow, what does the lab do with the fur?

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
                  If this is a pet project by the groomers, researched and all carried out by the groomers, I don't see why the money belongs to the clinic. If I went to my boss about wanting to do something like that to make extra money, he would tell me to "go for it" as long as it didnt cost the company money and there was no legal issue.
                  I didn't see that at first either...but upon further reflection (jeez...would ya listen to me???) but, after I thought about it...the clinic is the "one" responsible for providing the hair (like Swiss said) and...they provided most of the equipment, and...they paid the employees to cut it off, so even tho it's "trash"...it's the clinic's trash.

I made the analogy (for myself) that in these parts, it would be like hiring someone (similar to an IC) to come shear my sheep (which people do around here), AND they get to keep the fleece and sell it. It's like getting paid twice.

I think the difference is your boss would not want you to be technically running a "side job" on his dime....follow?

I did really like your initial idea however, and a really nice "boss" would do something like that....

14 lbs. of hair Key???? Sheesh, what are you shaving....Lions?
                  Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I thought they only paid for clean hair?
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Kirstine, I do believe that ultimately, the money belongs to the hospital. That being said, it was through YOUR work and YOUR research that it belongs to the hospital. Therefore, I personally feel that the equipment should be bought for the grooming department only.

And from now on, you should keep your trap shut about the money. Just keep the cat hair and take it home! LOL

Tammy in ... south korea
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                        I thought they only paid for clean hair?
                        No, that defeats the purpose of the hair. The lab uses it to create serum for allergy shots. So if we wash off the dander and saliva it wouldn't do any good.

Comment

I appreciate all your responses. I talked to the groomers about it again. Even though I am the one that did all the research and went through all the bother to get it arranged, it's all four groomers that are shaving and saving the kitty hair. Because of that I don't think I am entitled to anymore than the other groomers. The Office Manager is basically acting like it's MY money. But I think that while I am working as an agent of the clinic the money belongs to the clinic.

We decided to put the money back into the grooming department. I pretty much buy whatever the heck I want (since it's my own money) but the two original groomers (one has been there 10 years and one has been there 25 years) have had to be really frugal and do without stuff because they didn't want to make the clinic buy too much. So this will be a great way for them to upgrade equipment that they ordinarily wouldn't have the budget for.

I am going to view the equipment as belonging to the clinic. If the other groomers want to make some other arrangement with the owners I really don't care.

We already have 2 1/2 pounds just since last week. So if anyone is thinking about getting kitty certified you could pay for the whole shebang with your first batch of kitty hair.

Comment

maybe i'm just a b****

But i probably wouldn't have told them... if they had become CFMGs then they would have known. hehe...

ok. that's not nice... if the boss says this is your deal... then YOU decide...

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlestar View Post
                              if they had become CFMGs then they would have known. hehe...
                              Just for the record, I'm not YET. But I work at a vet clinic and we are only allowed to work on healthy kitties, so we have vets that are able to sign the health certificate. There are some requirements for the hair, so I went to NCGIA's website and printed them out and have complied with them. If I ever quit I will make sure one of the other groomers know what needs to be done.

I like sharing my toys. It's no fun to have neat stuff while the other groomers have ghetto tools. I bought the three other groomers all the Face and Feet comb by Chris Christensen out of my own money because I think it is such a great little tool. I'm the only one that has a Clipper Vac. I know how much it helps me out so I'm excited the other groomer's going to get one too (the other two groomers aren't interested in one).

Comment

Working...
                              X