I just wanna know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wanna know...

What is up with the black and white checkered flooring in salons and mobiles??? Those patterns make my eyes twitch, lol. Seriously though, they really do mess with my vision, I don't know how anyone can groom anything surrounded by that. Wonder if I am the only person who is affected by this pattern.

And how many times can a person sneeze in one day before the nose falls off, omg, I bet I have sneezed nearly 100 times today, I am going to do a rain dance, pollen is killing me, I can't even go outside right now, my eyes are watering so bad I can't see, LOL. Actually its not that funny but I am on the verge of madness from these allergies.

Originally posted by henrythe8th View Post
    What is up with the black and white checkered flooring in salons and mobiles??? Those patterns make my eyes twitch, lol. Seriously though, they really do mess with my vision, I don't know how anyone can groom anything surrounded by that. Wonder if I am the only person who is affected by this pattern.
    Checkered flooring is great for playing Dog Poop Bingo. You can write a number on each tile, then make wagers with your colleagues (hell, let your customers join in - fun for all, I always say...) on which square will be the first to get pooped on (you just KNOW it's gonna happen at least once a day, right?). Peeing on any square automatically disqualifies it.

The local high school does something similar to this on the football field, utilizing chalked lines and a very well fed bovine. All proceeds go to charity. So the checkered floor is just Cow Pie Bingo on a smaller scale is all.
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

I LOVE my blk/wh checkered floor-and my eyes never twitch at all! The black hair does tend to hide in the black checks, tho. It's a floor that always looks sharp IMO...and if you're in a big cleaning hurry, you can just wipe off the white squares LOL!
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I hear you about those allergies...whew! I am sick of the itchy eyes! I heard on the news they said it is due to the bizarre winter and the freezing temps. (here in FL.) that we had 3 mos. ago. This is definitely the worst season for allergies I can remember.

Aaachoo, and God bless you,
        sittingpretty

Comment

I've always thought the black and white floors would be neat. If you're grooming a white dog, you can position it so when you look for stray hairs, you can see them thanks to the black tiles and vica versa for the dark dogs. I've found it helps for bichon and poodle heads when I can put them by a contrasting color. I'm still new to this, though.

Comment

I like the patten lol. I understand your pain on the sneezing. I have some nasty allergies right now, and I'm rocking a bad cold and sinus infection all ot the same. I'm prettyy miserable right now.

Comment

I know many of the younger generation may not like classic 'styles'. Kind of like Barber poles, candle holders on piano's, Mom's with aprons, etc...

There are different styles for different people, it may be that many who do go with B/W checkerboard patterns are drawn to the classic, clean look of it then others just like the geo-metric's of it. I have seem shops with floating wood floors, painted cement as well as linoleum flooring. Every one of us has different tastes but we all come here to find our common bond in love of grooming. I don't think anyone's choices are wrong so long as they are right for 'you'. The place you work in is very important, science has proven colors & patterns greatly affect humans... good treatment of pets & excellence in grooming can be affected by our surroundings so find what is right for you.

Comment

It's not my favorite look either. A little too busy and not simple enough for my eyes.

I feel your pain I can't stop sneezing have a headache and earache for a week, even the dog sneezes his head off every morning when we go out

Comment

There is a girl in Utah whose father makes mobile units and sends them from Pennsylvania. All the floors he's put in that I can see, are checkered. And I agree, I don't like them.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I like the barber poles and such, the lines in the checkered stuff, particularly the black and white, brown and white, red and whites, jump around, it drives me crazy and I really wish it did not, lol. Its like being in one of those 'madhouses', checkered floors, crazy mirrors, etc.

Comment

Depending onn the size of the pattern and the area it's covering makes a difference to me. The ones I have seen in mobiles, yeah, it's a bit much for me. But honestly I HATE the colors that I have seen in the Wagon Tails vans, that hideous teal or pink or whatever you want to call it. I know there are some who love their colors, but it just looks like a tacky color(s) to me. Course their vans overall are gorgeous, just don't like those colors.
                      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Checker board floors mess with my vision too, and they make me dizzy. My ophthalmologist says it's due to my astigmatism. I don't know, I'll take his word for it. And avoid checker board floors as much as possible.

Comment

We have those in the house we just bought and I hate them! The first thing I did was get a quote to have them replaced and it was over $4,000... needless to say I still have black and white checkered floors.

Comment

I think the black and white checkered commercial tiles are slightly cheaper then other commercial tiles. Or so I've been told. Never tile shopped so I really don't know - but when I was first offered the building I rent I told the landlord the carpet in the reception area, hallway and bathroom would have to go unless he wanted to replace it later after it had been peed on 147 times. He told me he would get some more of the commercial tiling he has in his laundromatt because it was sturdy AND affordable. Black and white checked. lol

It doesn't bother me, but I have had a few dogs put on the breaks at my front door and the owners usually tell me it's the floor. Same floor as the vets office It's not in my grooming area, but I don't know that it would bother me if it was.

Comment

It doesn't bother

me but I agree, it's kind of odd. Odd trend? Well when I first moved in my house it had very red carpeting in the living room. It drove me batty. I felt sort of hyper and agitated. I was grateful to put in a multi brown colored carpet. (stuff doesn't show on it)

Allergies, yuk. But if it rains more growth more pollens.

I've tried to think of something clever to answer when people say: "do you have a cold?" or "you have a cold". I actually kind of snapped at an elderly customer who asks that every single time - every two weeks - when I call her. No I DON'T have a cold and I'll tell you if I do. You know there are a lot of worse things I could have than allergies. I sort of think the allergies are caused by a super immune system, since I so far (knock on wood and praise God) I have been quite healthy.
                              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X