Ugh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh...

4 of my 5 puppies are spoken for,,,I sent one home today and then went to my usual place in the bathroom, locked the door and had a little cry...I get too attached and feel so worried about their care for their entire life- hoping they get only the best homes. I do this way too often, and I thought I would get less emotional, but it isn't happening.
    And I actually raised the price of my little ruby colored girl twice because I didn't want to get rid of her, and still,,,I took another applicant today for her...I am just not cut out for this "breeder" stuff--I just want to keep every one of them...
    Last edited by windywaycavaliers; 04-15-10, 07:28 AM.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

The lady who stll has the Chihuahua puppies that were born Dec.27th feels your pain...every week I come up with a new excuse ;-) Thank goodness they don't eat much! I only breed a GSD litter about every 6 years now? My heart can't take it...
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Exactly why I don't breed. The breeder of my male terv. bred one litter, his litter. She cried when each puppy went to their new home and so after the last one left, she spayed the bitch knowing she never wanted to breed again. I am considering getting my girl spayed so I won't have to deal with an "oops" litter.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

My heart goes out to you Chris. It's hard to let them go <hug>

Comment

I have a feeling that I'm going to go through the same thing. I have a shih-tzu that I'm going to breed in a year to a year and a half from now and I'm already stressing about how I'm going to be able to sell the puppies. I know I'm going to come up with some reason that I have to keep them all, but it's just not practical. I'm getting a show St. poodle puppy in a month or so and I made sure I got a male so I wouldn't have to deal with getting attached to poodle puppies. I don't know if I have what it takes to be a "breeder" as well.

Comment

This is why i don't breed, I'd want to keep them all. I let my St Poodle boy Stud for our vet because all the puppies are going to his sons and daughters all of whom are vets. So I know I'll get to watch them all grow up. But that's it if the vet hadn't asked I don't know if I'd have ever bred him. So sorry for your pain.
            "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
            and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
            www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I can only imagine. I've always had an interest in fostering dogs but I'd want to keep everyone. As soon as they walked in the front door they would become part of the family. I'm sure I'd turn into a hoarder with 20 dogs running around. It must be very sad to see those babies go.:-(
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I could never be a breeder. I would end up with a housefull of dogs. Many years ago, I rescued a little kitty after I lost a cat I had had for 19 years. She had a oops litter of 4. I was goona keep two and give two away. I actually had a lady in my house looking at the kittens and told her to leave, that she wasn't the right person for my kittens ( she wanted to know if she could breed the brother & sister),,,after that I gave up looking for homes and kept all 4. One ran away, I lost one last year, but still have 2 who are 15 yrs old this month.

Comment

When my border collie mix had puppies, I cried too when each left. It was so hard, but the last one to go was the hardest. It just rips your heart out. If it makes you feel better, I'll take the last one, then you'll never have to worry (). Your Ruby was my fave anyway which is unusual for me since I am usually drawn to the tri colors.
                  I think any GOOD breeder who truly loves her dogs feels some sadness when they have to let go. It just means your fabulous when you cry!
                  What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
                    The lady who stll has the Chihuahua puppies that were born Dec.27th feels your pain...every week I come up with a new excuse ;-) Thank goodness they don't eat much! I only breed a GSD litter about every 6 years now? My heart can't take it...
                    ROFLMBO!!!!! Better think about placing them SOON! Why in 2 more months...they'll be consuming 23 pieces of kibble a day instead of 17.
                    What ever will you do then?

Windy...if it makes you feel like you are in good company (or not?) when I had to take THE ENTIRE LITTER to my co-owner's last Sept, at the tender age of 6 weeks...friends threatened an Intervention.
                    I dropped them off on a Friday afternoon, came home, lowered all the blinds, turned off all the phones, put Lifetime "Television For Wimmin" on the TV, and curled up in a ball on the sofa for THREE DAYS!
                    I only picked my head up long enough to stare at the blank screen on the puppy monitor that had once been filled 24/7 with the joyful romping and playing of little Sibes puppies, the baby growling of pretending to kill things to come in life, the shuffling of newspapers and occassional yipping when someone sat on someone else.
                    "Mr Moon Toy", "The Twelve Dollar Fuzzy Flea", "Blue Wubbie", "Red Wubbie", "Delicious Fuzzy Donut Toy"...all still strewn about in the puppy pen...like fallen and abandoned soldiers...
                    And OMG...can we talk about having to break down the whelping box?....sobbbbbbb!

I sure wish I had known then...that I was getting one back...sure would have saved some suffering.

The new owners call all the time, they come out to our Matches and Shows, everyone is such a perfect fit for their new lives, I get pics almost weekly, and we have puppy romp days...with one coming up in 2 weeks.

From what my co-owner says...I get to do it all over again in a year. Maybe I'll be more of a growed up the next time? Doubt it.

That poor lady w/ all the chihuahuas.
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Thats why I neither breed nor foster, I suck at letting go. At least you are sending them out with careful checks into good homes. Just be careful who gets MY ruby!lol
                      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Sibes,
                        I now have coffee coming out of my nose ;-)
                        I think the feeding issue is a BAD thing! There's absolutely no financial motivation to part with these puppies! I purchased a 7kg bag of small breed puppy food at the begining of February and haven't even put a dent in it. They don't take up any space, make little to no extra cleaning, and they're little pocket sized love sponges <3 How could ANYONE love these little babies more than me??? (Hoarder talk).
                        "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Wanna hear "Hoarder Talk" 5?
                          When I moved here 12 years ago, after losing the last of my antique original pack of 8 Sibes, I only had Sky, and Annie the Corgi.
                          2...."was the perfect number" I said over and over again to friends.
                          Then fast forward 6 years, and the opportunity to have Breeze, ok...so now "3 is the perfect number".
                          Along comes Luna, 2 years later, a singleton that my co-owner could ONLY trust with me or she might die or something? Understanding completely....so "4 is THE perfect number".
                          So then Breeze has the litter, and the OKLA home doesn't sound so good and co-owner calls all choked up..."what am I gonna do...my gut says "No puppy on airplane tomorrow". Well of course she has to follow her gut I say, and bring that puppy BACK HOME...so now "5 is THE PERFECT NUMBER".

I'm already practicing "6 is the perfect number" for next year. Here I go again........

Comment

sibes, I have 5 as well. and I can legally only keep 4
                            I was trying to find a home for my friends poodle. My friend past away about 2 months ago
                            and her family asked me to find her a home. Lucy is the perfect little angel
                            she does eat much and goes with me to work. she just is the sweetest little thing you ever saw.
                            So my hubby finally looked at me and said. " she found her home didnt she"
                            I so called DID NOT HEAR HIM. and have had her here for about 2 months.
                            and like you say.
                            "5 is the perfect number".

Comment

greyhoundlover...GOOD for you! Besides...anyone that knows anything...knows Poodles aren't really "dogs", so legally...you are still in the clear, lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X