Venting is good for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting is good for you

I have a st. poo client that will not pay what I ask for bath brush out in between, dog comes sporadiclyy, but is taking him to a cut rate place in between, for bb, anyway all was well and I was able to keep in a long puppy, till today, I was sick that the dog had to be stripped. Asked and he is taking the dog every 10 days forb,b. I said well it's a shame to pay someone to do a job and they won't do it, he did'nt seem to care. I decided if the dog is not here foe the bb I will no longer do the dog, It effects my rep when the dog leaves looking like a skinned rat, because someone else is not doing their job. Love the dog, like the owner, I just need some profesional respect from him, he is after all an architect and reams people when HIS work is compromised! Anyway what would you guys do?
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Exactly what you did and stand my ground.. I can't believe there are places out there like that!

Comment

Hmmm....You may wanna try upping the price you charge to groom his dog. Tell him that it's for the extra work you have to put into the dog because the other place isn't caring for the coat properly.... If you hit him in the wallet, he will probably a) bring the dog to you in between, or b) just go elsewhere. It worked for me when I was in a similar situation ( The dog now comes to me for grooming AND bathing in between grooms.) This is just a suggestion. This is a pretty ****** situation.

Comment

I'd lower my price a little if he is willing to commit to bring the dog in every 10 days for B/B as he said he was. Seriously, that is a lot more $ than what you are getting for the groom itself and you will be able to maintain the coat so the dog can truly represent your work at it's finest Win/win IMPO You won't be losing money at all and you wouldn't have to strip the dog when groom time comes.

I would however, set some ground rules for the special pricing. Pre-book and HOLD each and every appointment or the price goes back to the normal price. Surely, he can understand a good bargain and having a great looking dog to boot.

Comment

There are so many people out there looking for a deal, Stand up for yourself and don't let your love of the dog make you wavier. I had a toy poodle that I loved grooming but Daddy wanted to get a brush and bath in between so he could stretch out the time between grooms fine I've got no problem with that but he only wants to pay $8 no more. For me this is a total lack of respect for what I do for a living. Since he didn't get his way he hasn't been back. Oh well I guess it's true you get what you pay for.
          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

WHy give him your respect when he won't give you any? This type of client IMO deserves his dog to look as he deserves. If hes willing to pay for **** work he deserves to get a shaved dog. I am tired of people who think we are thier slaves. They wouldn't accept a client who gets all the basic work done by the cheapo law firm then expect a top rate lawyer to use their files to argue the case...why shoudl we?

Comment

What does he pay every 10 days for the B&B?

Comment

I would offer him some way that going to you would be a better, if not cheaper option. Offer discounts for him if he keeps a schedule, etc.

Where I work we have an incentive program for regulars, and it seems to keep the clients coming on a pre-ordained basis. Every tenth groom is free under the program, and that helps people without a large amount of spendable cash.

Keep your head up, DON'T abandon the dog, (who knows if anyone else cares about him/her at all? Better to have you some of the time than no one all of the time), and good luck!

Comment

I have no idea what he pays for the bb, but he already got a small discount when he had the first poos, got them done more often, when he got the new one I never raised the price thinking he would get him done as often, I jusy feeel it is time to let this one go, I am getting no respect, and he didn't care that the dog was matted and stripped even tho he is paying for a service.I get the feeling he is looking for a reason to go elsewhere or he would put him on a maintenance program, he knows I am a very good dedicated groomer, I also charge for my long years of experience.
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                    I'd lower my price a little if he is willing to commit to bring the dog in every 10 days for B/B as he said he was. Seriously, that is a lot more $ than what you are getting for the groom itself and you will be able to maintain the coat so the dog can truly represent your work at it's finest Win/win IMPO You won't be losing money at all and you wouldn't have to strip the dog when groom time comes.

I would however, set some ground rules for the special pricing. Pre-book and HOLD each and every appointment or the price goes back to the normal price. Surely, he can understand a good bargain and having a great looking dog to boot.

I really like this idea!!

Comment

I would have been happy to strip the dog & be done with the groom!
                      Why bust your hump & worry about a "sporadic" customer who gets B&B's from someone else?
                      Good riddance!

I take that back....I'd probably be jumping for joy to shave him down....

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                        I'd lower my price a little if he is willing to commit ...Surely, he can understand a good bargain and having a great looking dog to boot.
                        I like this idea. First call the other shop and ask for their price for a B & B. That way he xan't snow you. Offer the dad to do the B & B so you can keep him and, using a comb, SHOW him how to check a groom. Let him know if he can't get a comb through the hair the other shop is ripping him off. Chances are he will check the groom after the other shop gets finished and start taking you up on your offer. If things remain the same after your offer just refuse to book him any more.
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

What I have learned over the years is similar to what was mentioned... IF a customer wants a discount rate for in between work, it is perfectly OK to make it clear...
                          You take great pride in your work just as the owner does (everyone likes to be seen as though they are 'top notch)... it is easy to remind them that 'LIKE them" you take great pride in your work, you have high standards, etc...(blowing smoke up their back side so to say)
                          1. (You have obviously taken a great liking to this particular dog) tell them just how 'perfect' their dog is (smoke again)
                          2. You KNOW 'they' would not stand for anything less than the best looking dog (remind them of how they appears to be seen with their pet when it is looking perfect... shows they are the perfectionist and it reflects well on them, everyone looks at a very well groomed dog)
                          3. You feel horrible about having to shave it down, such a beautiful dog, they knew when they got it just how perfect it would grow into (again show how their judgment was right on target and how thrilled you are to be able to work with such a beautiful dog)
                          4. You will be happy to set up regular appt for B&B so they dog can reflect his perfectionism.

Offering a discount rate for (this owner... make him feel VERY special) in between B&B on a regular basis (even if it is slightly lower than you usually charge) is money in the bank! When you can get clients who come in regularly even if it is slightly less, you have the guarantee of income, your dogs look the best you know they can... owners happy, dog happy, you happy...

Comment

Working...
                          X