Boykin with quicked nail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boykin with quicked nail

I just groomed a Boykin and quicked a nail. She was having nothing to do with that dremmel so I was trying to clip her nails and she was kicking and carrying on so I sure did quick that thing. Oh dear lord that thing bled soooo much. I've never seen a nail bleed like that. Took about 30 minutes to get it to stop. Question: Can a dog actually bleed to death from a quick? Also, this dog is in heat and I was wondering if that could have anything to do with the excess bleeding. She also wanted to start chewing that foot. I told the client what happened and she told me not to worry about it it was no big deal but I have a knot in my gut. Also, she had huge mats on the backside and behind her ear so I clipped them off but left the remaining hair instead of shaving the whole ear. I did that because I wanted to diminish the possibility of ear hematomas but she was shaking her head. She has most of her ear hair just shaved behind the ear but those matts were really big. About like a tennis ball. I hope she's going to be all right. Gosh has anyone had this happen before? I think I need a Mike's Thingy or 6.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Quickening a nail is not a big deal. I have set a dog in cool bath water when it wouldn't stop with other measures.

Comment

You know, I asked my vet that exact question not 3 days ago. She said she has never seen or heard of a dog bleeding to death from quicked nail, unless a blood-clotting disorder was involved. They can and will bleed like stuck pigs, however. Aside from applying pressure and using quick stop, she suggested pinching at the base of the nail to help stem the blood flow. You can also try using an ice cube or, as another vet suggested, a bar of Ivory Soap.

For me, I use quick stop, wait for the clot, then brush a coat of Liquid Bandage over the end of the nail. This really seems to help prevent the nails from breaking open again.
      Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
      George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Oh gosh I put quick stop on it and the gel too. I put her in some cool water and that thing just kept on bleeding. Finally I put the gel on several more times and applied pressure and it stopped. I just had never seen one bleed like that. I honestly wondered if she may have some kind of bleeding disorder. When I quicked her my DH was holding her and she was kicking like a Bronco and blood spattered everywhere. Looked like a crime scene. I just came in from cleaning everything in my trailer. My DH got so upset. Been with the man for 23 years and I think I found out something new about him: I think blood makes him squeamish. He always hates to see me quick one but my goodness this was very unusual. I actually did think about taking her to the vet. Needless to say I didn't clip anymore nails.

On a lighter note: My DH always says a prayer to the toe nail gods right before I clip nails. I mean bent head and everything. Sometimes I can hardly work because I'm laughing so hard but he is dead serious. Apparently he just can't take the sight of blood. Poor thing.
        ~*~Robin~*~
        "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

We addressed this question not too long ago. Simply put, no they won't bleed to death unless there's a clotting disorder in play.

When they bleed to excess it's usually because their blood pressure is high. I just put them in a kennel and ignore them for a while, then go back and clean up the mess once they've calmed down.

Comment

I was going to suggest what Helly said. I am quite familiar w/the Boykin's here in SC and there aren't to many that dont go nutso about having their nails done (if you can do them at all!). I bet you were getting stressed and freaking a bit because of the amount of blood and the dog was picking up on your stress and getting more stressed herself, causing the nail to bleed even more. Put them on thick towels in a crate in a quiet area if possible for about 20 or so minutes and see if that doesn't get the nail to stop.

I try to cut nails on difficult dogs while they are soaking in the tub. It seems to take the starch out of them (sometimes....lol) and makes the nail trimming go easier. If I quick one I will run cold water over that foot and that will often stop the bleeding.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have worked with many groomers who merely place the quick stop on the nail while others may apply some pressure. If you are using quick stop was taught by a Vet to really push the quick stop along the nail. Keeping pressure on the spot. I was also told that although it does hurt at first it does become numb (a natural numbing agent in the stuff I guess) and you can get it to stop. Another really GREAT thing is the quick stop pads.. they are awesome! with the liquid in them they can work quicker and not leave the powder residue BUT they can also stain fur if the coat is lighter... choices? we have today some really wonderful choices available to us in this industry... I remember so long ago we did not.

As to the shaving out the mats... sadly I get a lot of farm dogs here... lots of matting behind the ear. If the pet has had such a large mat in place for so long, they are used to feeling the weight of it and by you shaving it out they 'feel different'. I think you did well to keep the remaining area full to prevent a hemotoma... so long as you inform owners to keep an eye on them, you did the best you could and your genuine concern for the pet is something to be very proud of.

Comment

Working...
              X