Shocking Case of Neglect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking Case of Neglect

This is too shocking not to share. Bearded Collie mix picked up by animal control. I was called by a rescue friend desperate to get him taken care asap. I had no idea it was this bad. He was patient through the whole ordeal, seemingly quite grateful. He's 21 pounds, 6 pounds of matted coat was removed. He's also heart worm positive. He's coming to our house for recovery and has plenty of good vittles waiting for him. I'll be posting regular updates on my business facebook page.

No fancy trim for him, quick shave down so he could get to the vet before closing time.

http://cooniegoonie.smugmug.com/Pets...35061604_H83UR
    That Tenacious Terrier!
    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Oh.....my.....gosh. That's awful!

Comment

Looks like you got to him just in time,he would not have lived much longer. Bless you for helping him.
      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
      Quote:Cath

Comment

wow after that haircut hes supper cute!!!!! hell find a good hoome for sure! are there going to be charged filed? I think they should .
        poor baby.he is soo thin
        They call me the fattener, he could visit aunt christy
        good luck with that pup.

Comment

I'm soooo glad he was saved and that you help him. That poor poor thing. What is you Business FB page so I can see update on him.
          "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

I hope charges are going to be filed...

That's awful! The poor pup! Glad you were able to help him feel better!

Comment

That is just terrible. You got there ust in time. His skin actually seems to be in quite good condition, considering.

He has such a handsome, wise old face! I hope you find him a loving home

Comment

Couldn't even tell that was a dog! Hopefully, charges will be brought against former owners. Please continue to post pictures as he gets better.

Comment

Now I am sitting in the airport crying! Wow, that was bad!

Comment

How sad. And, how wonderful he is going to look in 3 months with about 20 pounds!

Good luck with him, know we are all rooting for him!

Take it slow at first, his system is going to go through a huge shock with the sudden introduction of good food. Poor guy.

Comment

That made me so angry and sad at the same time.

Comment

A thousand blessings and my deepest gratitude for being the angel that this dog so desperately needs. I've seen some trainwrecks in the past, but that has got to be one of the worst cases of coat neglect I've ever seen. I have no doubt that, had he been allowed to remain in that condition much longer, he would've be dead in two months - if he lasted that long. He looks almost as bad as that poor little Peke that died in Boston last month. He must be so relieved!

But....he's so THIN! Poor baby looks like an exhibit in a biology lab, I swear I think I can see the outlines of his kidneys on one of those pics! Do you have to exercise caution in the way you fatten him up or can you just start stuffing him with whatever he can handle?

Please keep us posted on his progress. I'll be thinking about this little man for some time to come....
                        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Oh my gosh where did they find him.

He probably wasn't going to make it much longer.

What blade did you have to shave him with?

You are very kind to nurse him back to health

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post

But....he's so THIN! Poor baby looks like an exhibit in a biology lab, I swear I think I can see the outlines of his kidneys on one of those pics! Do you have to exercise caution in the way you fatten him up or can you just start stuffing him with whatever he can handle?

Yes, just like with emaciated people you have be very careful about how much they eat in one sitting. He'll get a minimum of four very modest meals a day. Then gradually increase. I do have a meal plan in place for him.

You can find me on Facebook under That Tenacious Terrier!
                            Last edited by Canopener Sally; 04-14-10, 01:24 PM.
                            That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Charges

Since he was picked up as a stray, there likely will be no charges filed. If for some crazy reason someone claims it's their dog, then yes charges will be filed.

What's disturbing is how many people passed this dog and did nothing.
                              That Tenacious Terrier!

Comment

Working...
                              X