aaaaaahhh. The "Expert" Dog Owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaaaahhh. The "Expert" Dog Owner.

Another new client phone call. Another "rare" English breed.
    This time it's a Golden Retriever. But an English one.
    Had to Google this one as well, (even tho I DID believe you W.Chi. Just had to see more for myself.)
    Oh. And it's WHITE. "WHITE" was mentioned 6 times in 2 voicemails and 1 long conversation.

It's all good, normal enough sounding owner...for a WGR, I mean I'm cool w/ whateva, except kitty grooming...then we get to this;

She says she purchased the dog at the age of 1+ yr. 2 months ago, and watched the breeder groom it. She plans on grooming it herself, but just not quite yet.
    NO problem for me...I support those folks 110%. I give them Pet Edge catalogs, Ryan's, I circle the tools I think they should invest in...the whole 9 yards. Now I don't do "lessons" for free...but a reasonable amount of advice/guidance, I'm happy to toss out there.

Soooo...I bring up the first sizeable investment I think she won't be able to do w/ out...an HV dryer.
    When I talk to the common folk about these things...I DO NOT use letters, I use WORDS.
    I specifically said (as I always do) "hand held high velocity blow dryer for dogs".
    I described the benefits...yadda, yadda....blah-blah.

I am met w/ stone cold silence.
    Then a 5 minute diatribe about I "must have missed the Today Show Segment on the deaths these dryers cause, the dogs that DIE from their usage, surprised that I (w/ all my years of experience) would use such a "thing", the TERRIFIED 9 month old OES puppy she observed being subjected to one, on and on and on.... AND...how she ONLY planned on using her human hair dryer on the EGR.

When she finally (unlike me) took a breath...I spent 15 seconds straightening her out and then used my canned air into the phone 3 times and said "oh shoot, a poisonous snake must have gotten into the house, I gotta GO now". (Works every time)

Where ARE these folks COMING FROM?????? They have just enough information to be truly dangerous to their dogs. and terrifically annoying to me....
    Last edited by 4Sibes; 04-13-10, 06:05 PM. Reason: forgot a link word and a 2nd thought.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Ah Sibes don't bang your head for if you start you may never stop. These people are so sure that they know our business better than we do. I read this book , I watched this show, or my favorite I saw this on Youtube. So many think that what we do is nothing at all. I to will provide who every wants to do it yourself a Ryan's or Per edge catalog with everything they should have circled. I've only had one client actually purchase what she needed two home grooms later, I had her ShihTzu back plus a box full of stuff she no longer wanted. Yeah me. So enjoy the thought of this women grooming her own dog with a human hair dryer and ten hours later with a still wet dog she'll wonder why she ever thought this was a good idea.
    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
    www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Yikes and double-yikes!!!

OMG, that is weird!!!! (About the snake, not the woman's belief - J/K)

Yes, those clients that know just enough to be dangerous and annoying - and say incredibly dumb things!! Like the woman who called me on the phone years ago (I know I've posted this before, but it's such a great example of a grooming myth), distressed that she was going to make her little Yorkie blind because she had cut bangs to help him see! Then she was told he needed the hair to protect his eyes, and would now go blind - told by the mailman, doncha-know. hahahahahaha - except the poor woman was almost in tears! So I tried to calm her down and convince her that she shouldn't listen to the mailman about dog advice, and her dog was NOT going to go blind from her cutting bangs (unless she stabbed him in the eyes, I guess).

Last week I had a caller with a 65-75 pound Golden Retriever, requesting an appointment. I told the woman that I don't take dogs of that size now, I groom much smaller dogs. "Oh", she says, and proceeds to tell me that I won't need to groom him, just a good bath, and nails, and a bit of trimming!!!!

I told her that was what grooming was for such a dog unless she wanted a shave, and stated again that I was not taking dogs of that size. Not sure if she really got it, but she DID figure out that she would need to call elsewhere, lol.

Jeeeeeeezzzzzz......

Comment

Whew. Thanks you guys. Just needed the validation. I know I'm a weirdo-magnet...but the pulse must be reallllly strong right now, or they are all just emerging from hibernation at the same time.....

Comment

"I know what is best for my dog"

Yes, they always know what is best...then WHY DO THEY CALL US?

How about the ones who have a dog that was rescued, at some point in time? Not necessarily a recent rescue. I can think of two dogs/ clients that had tremendous issues due to the fact that the owners wouldn't let them forget that once they had a rough life so now NO ONE should ever reprimand them, comb them if they have matts, trim their nails, etc, etc. because the poor dogs might not like ti and then they would be mad at the owners for being "mean" to them......ARGGGG, give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!

sittingpretty

Comment

I just got a call from a woman

who had such a strong Japanese accent I was wondering if the call was a joke. "How ma you chaaaag to groom ma dawg? Shocked she says it a smoll Pom rain e an. I pay fif teeeen befoe'. It jus a smollll dog, not hod to do. We live close, found you on in ta net." I can barely understand her and see no reason why I should try to explain my expenses. So I said I am booked even farther out than I currently am. "Can find da over groomer, not dere anymo'" " Was a shop."Maybe they went out of business cuz they didn't charge enough I say. " Okaaaaay bye. Even in a shop it costs to have professional clippers and small dogs are delicate and you have to know what you are doing! But You groomers already know that.

Comment

LOL!!...thats all.

Comment

New moon tomorrow night , the long winter hibernation over and VOILA! The crazies are out in force! A dog tried to attack my pup twice tonight and the dumb guy had to be told to correct the dog! Sibes you need a magic spell to protect you from rare white english breeds , eye of newt,toe of frog a few hairs from a english white terrier should do it. Petrified hairs or course.
                ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Hey Jen...maybe she said FIFTEEEEEE, not fifteen, lol!

I must admit...being in THE melting pot of accents, here on the perimeter of the DC area...I have really struggled w/ the various accents/languages. Every 12th call is a fully loaded accent, and I've barely a command of the English (boy, I'm beginning to detest that word...) language. But I must say...I muster thru and some of the people I've met have just been phenomenal pet owners...who in turn, refer me more phenomenal pet owners.
                  Just yesterday...there was a full fledged Spanish discussion going on...on my sunroom, amongst 3 clients, and I was like..."la-la-la-la...don't mind me...", lol!
                  They were prolly saying what a freak I am, but it was the only place they sucessfully could Map Quest...who knows?

Oh well...EGR comes tomorrow, we shall see?????

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post

Another new client phone call. Another "rare" English breed.
                    This time it's a Golden Retriever. But an English one.
                    Had to Google this one as well, (even tho I DID believe you W.Chi. Just had to see more for myself.)
                    Oh. And it's WHITE. "WHITE" was mentioned 6 times in 2 voicemails and 1 long conversation.
                    Very light cream-colored Golden Retrievers are popular in the U.K.. To the eyes of many they will appear to be "white".

In the U.S.A. we prefer our Goldens to be golden in color and you don't often see the dilutes like you do in England.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The English line are the ones with the big boxy heads. They are very popular in Canada. I groom several of these. You can definately see the Great Pyrnees that makes up part of the genetics of the golden. They are much larger than their American cousins and have coats that makes you wonder if they were crossed with a bear. They are sweetie pies, but budget time to do them right. The first question I asked when someone called with a golden was to describe their heads. It made a big difference in what i quoted as a range in price.
                      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                        Very light cream-colored Golden Retrievers are popular in the U.K.. To the eyes of many they will appear to be "white".

In the U.S.A. we prefer our Goldens to be golden in color and you don't often see the dilutes like you do in England.
                        See why you are our resident historian/breed thing-in-the-bop person?

holy crp. Are you saying that photo is NOT over-exposed? That's pretty darn light.
                        I've seen very washed out "blonds", but never something quite that light w/ my own eyes.
                        I'm very curious to actually see what shade this dog is tomorrow.

Comment

I love the ones that walk in an hour before closing and expect us to be able to do a full groom right then.

Today I had a woman call about two "yorkies" I told her she would need to make an appointment and told her our yorkie price, she said she would call back. At 8pm she walks in with her two thirty+ pound terrier mixes (she must have fed those yorkies some serious growth hormones) and says they are ready to be groomed. It took me ten minutes to convince her that all I could do that night was nails and a brush out, and that if she wanted more she would have to make an appointment, and the earliest one we had was three days out. She was, of course, quite offended that I would not make an exception (never mind the fact that I am not a groomer let alone a miracle worker) and after lots of huffing and puffing she made the appointment and left in the most dramatic manner she could.

It's amazing to me that someone could get to be an adult and not learn to stop throwing temper tantrums.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                            I know I'm a weirdo-magnet...
                            That explains why *I* am so enchanted by you, sibes. I'm your biggest fan. I wanta be you when I grow up. (Like THAT'S ever gonna happen!) I read all your posts. I think we could be BFFs. Etc.[key eerie organ music]
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                              I think we could be BFFs. Etc.[key eerie organ music]
                              But.....I thought we already were Big Funny Fa-reaks?

Comment

Working...
                              X