cat grooming while pregnant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat grooming while pregnant?

i just found out im pregnant... i know that they say not too change litter boxes while pregnant but what about grooming kittys?? i love grooming them and dont usually get scratched im pretty good at getting away =) and i bathe them all do you think im fine too still groom them??

Nope, I gave up the kitties while I was pregnant. Not only on the advice of my boss but also my doctor. The risk if bitten is just too much. Also, don't handle flea collars or any spot on treatments. Congrats!
    I wrote an article on my blog about grooming while pregnant. It's old, but may be helpful
    www.groomingtails.blogspot.com
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I continued to groom cats and change the litter box through both of my pregnancies. My doctor told me not to worry about it cause I have been exposed to the "bad" kitty stuff for so long, I was immune to it. My children turned out fine and nobody was born with 3 eyes or extra fingers. LOL

Comment

I stopped grooming the kitty's risk of a bite wasn't worth it but I still changed my kitty's litter box my doctor said that I would be fine since I'd been around cat's all my life. It's a personal choice that you should talk olver with your doctor. Remember that no matter how comfortable you are grooming any animal there is always a chance that you'll get a bad bite or scratch. Congrats on the baby.
        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

not so much

I worked with a lady who was pregnant. Even though she's owned and been around cats her whole life her doc. still said no. I would definitely ask your doctor, they might have a test to see if you're immune to the bacteria? Good luck and Congratulations!

Comment

I have heard from many, and I did it myself as well--no grooming the kitties while prego!
            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Why take any chances when there's so much to lose? Don't take any unnecessary risks when you're prego. You'll be back to cat grooming as soon as the baby pops out. Now listen to Dr. wet noze! No litter boxes, no kitties!
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

As Jacob would say, "Nerp!"

Yeah, some people got away with it but, why risk it? Is it WORTH seventy-five bucks or so?

LOL @ Angie & "3 eyes or extra fingers"!
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

If you've been exposed to cats for a long time I'd be more concerned about infection from a bite or scratch of any sort then the actual stuff associated with cats and being pregnant. And in that case, if worried about infection from a bite or scratch no one should be grooming anything at all when pregnant. (or lifting, using household cleaners, eating fast food, drinking soda...gee, the list could go on and on about things NOT to do when pregnant.)

If it were me, and I was healthy without other issues (immune problems, difficulty staying pregnant, etc.) I wouldn't worry about it. But ask your doctor of course.

Comment

Congratulations!! But what S-n-P said. As an employer I would not allow you to groom cats, large or factious dogs or do any heavy lifting at all. There is a disease passed through cat waste, among other things, called toxoplasmosis. It can deform a baby in utero if you get it. It just isn't worth it. What is most important now is that you take care of yourself so you can give your baby the best start in life he or she can get It'll be over before you know it and you'll be grooming cats and large dogs and looking at your feet again soon enough. And then it seems a mere 3 days later your oldest will come in the door with the girl you know he's going to marry

Comment

Your doctor can run a blood test to determine if you've been exposed to toxo in the past. Many of us have. If you have, there's not risk to your baby from toxo. Your immune system will be able to deal with it, no problems.

The bigger risk is being bitten. 50% of all cat bites become infected. Cats carry some pretty heavy duty pathogens in their mouths, including pasteurella, which can rapidly progress to cellulitis, osteomyolitis, and septic arthritis. And it takes a pretty heavy duty antibiotic to deal with these infections. Seeing as some of these antibiotics can be very harmful to a developing fetus, it would probably be better to just avoid grooming kitties during pregnancy.

Now days there's also the risk of MRSA in a bite wound. MRSA is no longer just a hospital related infection. It's travelled out, into the general public. And again, it takes a serious antibiotic to treat it. One that might not be good for your baby.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. A few months of inconvenience is nothing compared to a lifetime of health issues for your kid.

Comment

I did..

Years ago my midwife did a titer test on me to see my antibody level.. I was all clear for toxoplasmosis. I had immunity. So I continued to groom the cats..

Comment

[QUOTE=arlaede;405999]If you've been exposed to cats for a long time I'd be more concerned about infection from a bite or scratch of any sort then the actual stuff associated with cats and being pregnant. And in that case, if worried about infection from a bite or scratch no one should be grooming anything at all when pregnant. (or lifting, using household cleaners, eating fast food, drinking soda...gee, the list could go on and on about things NOT to do when pregnant.)QUOTE]

You know, that's not entirely accurate. Cat bite infections are much more serious than the typical dog bite infection. And they happen more often.

A few years back I had to have surgery on my wrist to clean out a dog bite that became infected. I went to the hospital at 3 in the afternoon, and was home by 8. On the other hand (no pun intended) there was a woman who was also having surgery that day to clean out an infected cat bite. She'd already been in the hospital for 2 weeks, had already had the wound debrided twice, and was looking at another 2 weeks in the hospital.

Cat bites are a whoooole nother entity from dog bites.

As for the other things you listed, other than the lifting part, most of those things ARE best avoided during pregnancy. Or at least kept to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Angie View Post
                            I continued to groom cats and change the litter box through both of my pregnancies. My doctor told me not to worry about it cause I have been exposed to the "bad" kitty stuff for so long, I was immune to it. My children turned out fine and nobody was born with 3 eyes or extra fingers. LOL
                            It has nothing to do with toxoplasmosis and honestly, I think your doctor probably had no idea the dangers that accompany cat grooming. You can get toxoplasmosis from raw hamburger. A cat bite is VERY serious and is SO not worth risking your child for. Sorry your doctor was not more informed to give you better advice. When we get to share our bodies for those wonderful (and I say that a little tongue in cheek since I was miserable LOL) 10 months (because yes we are actually pregnant for 10 months) we have to make sacrifices we may not always enjoy. Those two pink lines showed up and the cigarettes went into the trash. I didn't touch alcohol (not like I ever really do but when I was pregnant I actually craved it) no heavy lifting, no artificial sweeteners and I went off certain meds I was taking. Looking back, being pregnant, as miserable as I was physically, was the easy part LOL.
                            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                            X