St Bernard in bad shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Bernard in bad shape

Please let me know how you would handle this situation... There is a 71 y/o St. Bernard owner (would be a 1st time customer)- from the description that she has given her pet is in poor condition- mats. When she told me this- I told her that her dog may have to be shaved to give her relief and get rid of the fleas. She wanted to know what the dog would look like so I sent her to the internet to google st b haircut pics. She called back 2 weeks later saying that she had scissor cut out part of the mats and wanted me to just bathe the dog. I was very wary of this and suggested she bring in her dog and I would bathe her but if there were mats, I would shave them out-- I quoted her $60 which I think being really reasonable for the work... well-- she didn't want anything shaved-- period and thinks $60 is too much. I will get another call because I know no one else around here will tackle this sooo what do i do?

$60 is not enough . Tell her you have to see dog first to know if it will need shaved. If it doesnt it still should be more than $60. If it needs shaved its more. Dont sell your self short. She will only come once a year if that

Comment

I think this is a client you don't need. Don't feel guilty about it. The price is cheap even for a bath only for that size dog. If she has had to cut mats out, he's going to at minimum be packed with undercoat. Quote her an appropriate price for bathing such a large matted dog and add on your price for the "flea funeral." If she does not like your price, she is welcome to go somewhere else. You indicate no other groomer is going to tackle it, well, for good reason! Her age should not factor into your decision. Don't feel sorry for anyone who simply refuses to take care of their dog. If she's mentally handicapped, then you may feel sorry for her, but again, direct her elsewhere if she is unable/unwilling to pay for your help. This woman has a vet, and that vet will be willing to bathe and treat that dog for fleas. Let the vet dicker price with her.

If you called a hairdresser and felt their prices were too high, would they readjust their price just so you could get your hair done? I think they would let you go somewhere else and not even think twice about it, other than to laugh with their co-workers about the crazy nut that just called.

Comment

Don't do anything or promise anything until you see the dog. This lady has no idea of what it takes to do a big dog in a bad condition. Don't let her bargain with you.

Comment

60 bucks for a saint ugh thats way to cheap especially in the condition this dogs in,i would tell her you have to see the dog first and i would not do it any cheaper than this,good luck it sounds like you want to help this dog out but like other poster said dont sell yourself short

Comment

I get 60 just for the head. Is it a Toy St. Bernard...you know, one that only weighs 50 lbs? (Just kidding)

If no one else in the area will do the dog...she's really not in a position to play "Let's Make A Deal".
            Sounds to me like she's in over her head a bit w/ this dog.

You really should examine your price tho...
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I think you are being way too generous with your client as it is a half of what you should charge for that dog bath/brush or cut.
              I know you probably feel for the client being elderly and could not afford grooming on such a big dog but do you need a back ache for next to nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                I get 60 just for the head. Is it a Toy St. Bernard...you know, one that only weighs 50 lbs? (Just kidding)

If no one else in the area will do the dog...she's really not in a position to play "Let's Make A Deal".
                Sounds to me like she's in over her head a bit w/ this dog.

You really should examine your price tho...
                Yep, I gotta agree with Bernie on this one (heh, now that I think about it, I ALWAYS agree with Bernie. Oily AND a suckup....that's me).

Seriously, take a closer look at your pricing. Im mobile and in a different area geographically, so I would naturally expect to be higher than a shop (PLUS Im in CA and everything is exorbitantly priced), but I gotta tell ya - I get more than 4x that much for a St. Bernard. In fact, I won't even leave my driveway for $60!
                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Listen to Bernie, I quoted a chow price for alot more than that today, and do not have to do the dog. I will not do a big dog for a small dog price.
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

If she calls back quote her another 50 bucks for wasting all of your time.. if the job were that easy she would not be calling you to do it for her.

Comment

Many Thanks!

I can be a sucker for a sob story, but you all have set me straight! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X