Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal question about wages for washington state

please delete this post
    Last edited by brownlikewoah; 08-08-10, 10:20 PM.

I doubt it is legal unless it is part of an agreement the employee and employer had upon being hired or unless there is an employee handbook that outlines this specific action.

She should call your local Labor department to see what can be done. Of course that doesn't usually make for a continued good relationship between employee and employer but personally I wouldn't continue to work for someone who makes up rules that take money away from me when it is not something I agreed to upon being hired.

Because she is an employee and not an IC, at least here in CT it is the employers responsiblity to hold insurance for and cover any accidents to thier client's pets.

Comment

I don't know about the part taken out to cover the vet bill but I'd be pretty surprised to learn that it's legal to take out money for "punishment." Wow. Tell her, as DD says, to contact her Dept. of Labor. And please keep us updated on what she finds out; I'm very curious to know.
      The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

That hardly sounds legal! That's exactly what the company has insurance for! I'd also like to hear what you find out and if it's illegal, I hope they get theirs!
        Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Comment

Does not sound legal to me. I would check with the labor board also. I am a little curious of what the "mistake" was. Dogs belong to the same owner? Can you tell us a little more?
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by luvpups View Post
            Does not sound legal to me. I would check with the labor board also. I am a little curious of what the "mistake" was. Dogs belong to the same owner? Can you tell us a little more?
            I work at a high end, huge, boarding kennel. The woman who made the mistake is older, does silly mistakes pretty often, but they don't usually wind up as bad as this situation. This time she took two dogs from the same family, who were being boarded in seperate kennels, and put them together. Apparently the dogs fight, and that is why they had them apart. I have no idea why she put them together.
            This whole thing happened almost a year ago, but, in the next couple days I'm supposed to have a "talk" with my manager about things. This last week she said I said I don't seem as happy there and wanted to know why. I told her I would talk about it later, and that it is a bunch of little things. This issue with the girl I work with though, all ties into me not being super happy with where I am at. When I first started working there the place seemed so upscale, but really I don't care for the ethics of the place, and there is some really nasty stuff that goes on behind the scenes, to the employees and the dogs. I haven't decided yet if I am going to name specifics that I am upset about because I don't know how much good it will do, I'm just trying to sort things out, which is why I'm wondering about legal stuff so I'm prepared with the correct facts about things when the time comes.
            It is really hard for me because this places offers a lot of stuff that other places aren't able to, and I haven't found a replacement job that could offer what they do, so I sort of feel stuck. I don't know if I am being a baby about things, or am being taken advantage of.

Comment

Yep

Call L&I, they should be able to give you an answer. As I understand it, from an employers stand point, unless your have some sort of employee handbook (or similar) that addresses such items such as a deduction from pay for injuries to pets, the employer can not deduct from the workers pay. This is a major issue in some industries, not just ours, so yeah, unless she was hired with this in writing, I doubt that the employer is legal in doing this. State of WA is pretty strict in some areas, this being one. Employees pay is something you can't just decide that you are going to mess with.

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
                Call L&I, they should be able to give you an answer. As I understand it, from an employers stand point, unless your have some sort of employee handbook (or similar) that addresses such items such as a deduction from pay for injuries to pets, the employer can not deduct from the workers pay. This is a major issue in some industries, not just ours, so yeah, unless she was hired with this in writing, I doubt that the employer is legal in doing this. State of WA is pretty strict in some areas, this being one. Employees pay is something you can't just decide that you are going to mess with.
                thanks for the info. I'm going to look around and see if I can find any helpful info in the handbook they gave me.

Stephen: In many states even if it is in the Employee Handbook the employer CANNOT deduct these expenses. You need professional help from the labor agencies in your state. I have worked in more than 1 state where absolutely you could not deduct for the mistakes of the employees, it was part of the risk of being an employer, but this means you need help from the state in which you work. The Dept of Labor can help you in WA.

Comment

None of us are attorneys, so any advice we give is pretty much worthless, other than to say contact whatever labor agencies you have in your state, as well as getting a consultation from an attorney. Many attorneys will give you a free initial consultation, so take advantage of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X