A terrible day .butchered a lab:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A terrible day .butchered a lab:(

I did 7 dogs today before 3,that is alot for me. i reazed through the 3 bichon shave downs(#10 even on the head ,thats the way mom likes it )
    the 2 or 3 shihztus no problem .And I saved what I thought would be easy for last......my lab shave down. this dog was an absolutely a mess. when I said her name she croutched down and I couldnt get her up for anything Id atand her up with all my might and shed hit the floor again then started the panting and whining meanwhile Im clipp0ing as fast as I can and then I start seeing th lines showing up UGH!!!!! I could not get underneath her for nothing I tried to prop her up with my knee didnt help so .... long story short she looks like a plowed feild
    she was awfull i have never seen a lab this weird. she kept hooking her feet like claws trying to grip the ground to get away from me.I couldnt restrain her at all.I tried her in the table and she yanked the arm off the table I took the loop and hitched her to the wall and she leaned forward with all her might for 5 minutes with no sigh of letting up she looked like she was trying to pull a wagon.a heavy one. i couldnt get this dog done well.
    and to top it off My boss said you should do a 7 reverse I said this is the first time they have had her shaved I didnt want to go thaT SHORT they might not like it.He persisted and I said we close in 20 minutes It will take me 2 hours to shve her again(she was thaqt bad) so he said oh Ill just get xxx the other groomer to fix it.grrr. i dont think she is going to be happy at all considering she only works one day and doesnt want to work ther at all.
    what can you do? could I have done anything else? maybe the reverse would have made i tlook beter but not much when I dog pants heavly the whole body moves and its hard to clip.

Butchered lab!

This was probably the dogs first ever groom. It is so hard to deal with a heavy dog that lies down all the time. I use a stretchy thick scarf and tie it under their tummies to keep them up right but it is still very difficult. You can only explain to the owner what happened and explain she may be better the next time and maybe they could send her in for a couple of wash and blow dries to get her more relaxed.

Comment

On labs I find that some come out nice and smooth with little effort, and then there are the ones where no matter what you do they never get as smooth as you'd like them. I think that yes a rev #7 would have helped smooth it out, but there is no use putting the dog through the extra torcher. The dog was obviously not comfortable and I would have just explained to the owners that they shouldn't shave her in the future because she gets too stressed. It's not like a lab needs to be shaved, shaving a lab is purely a want not a need. If they aren't happy about you not thinking shaving is the best idea, tell them to go else where if they want the dog shaved. You're not going to put the dog through that anymore.

Comment

Well it sounds like you tried every thing to get this girl to stand up. I have a few like this one i can get done it the tub, he stands in there for some reason the other I just let lay down and roll her around until she's done. I do usually shave down the labs with a 7 reverse it just looks nicer, but I do have a few that the owners don't want that short and in that case I use a 4 reverse. It just leaves a smother finish than a blade with the grain. Sorry that you had such a bad day.
        "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
        and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
        www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself. That was quite a day you had...and it sounds like you did the very best you could. Maybe you could have gone to your boss earlier to ask for advice or help. Don't fall in to the trap (like I do from time to time) of wanting to prove myself, therefore refusing to ask for help and then making a huge/irreversible mistake. It is not a weakness to say "hey, I'm lost here." Your purpose in working at that salon right now is to gain experience, so get all you can from those with more experience. I admire you for all you're doing already!!!

Comment

Sorry you had a rough time of it. Yes, reverse clipping often makes it easier to 'bite into' those dense coats and leave a smoother finish. What's done is done. No blood was shed? If neither you or the dog was injured, you're still doing well enough. 'Butchered" hardly applies. In butchering one of the participants doesn't walk away at the end. You gave a dog a less than stellar haircut, but at least you care enough about your work that you're trying to seek ways to help it be better next time.

When I get those high-gravity sinking dogs I often just let them collapse and do the parts I can reach before I try again to get them to stand. Some of them will relax a bit after a few minutes and get up for you later in the process. Some, mind you, not all.

Comment

If it's any consolation I see a lot of shaved labs around my neighborhood looking like a plowed field with lines everywhere.

I've never tried reverse clipping myself but it could be difficult with a dog that acts like you described as it sounds like you didn't have the proper equipment to properly restrain the dog.

Maybe if the two of you tag teamed the dog it could've gotten done a little easier.

Comment

Was she clean before you clipped? If not, that is on e reason why she looked bad. Another thing, I dont give them a choice on length. If its TOO LONG for the coat type it WILL be choppy. I go as short as I have to go to make it smooth. PERIOD. Thebest clips on labs are acheived on clean, dry and thouroughly deshedded coats. AND watch the lay of the hair. Its not straight growing, it sometimes grows in several different directions and you cant cut across it or else you have issues with lines everytime. The good news is that MOST owners never notice the lines and in a week or so they are gone.....
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

That happened to me with a Saint Bernard, he looked goofy but would not listen at all! This happens.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to let them lie down, not much else you can do. Also, slick floors sometimes freak them out, could try putting a mat of some kind under the dog, make a mess to clean up but if it gives the dog confidence, so be it.

As for the lines...Particentral said it...clean, deshedded, and watch for lay of coat.

Sometimes I preclip if I have to shave coats like that, if I am going to finish in a 7F I see if i can preclip w/a 5 skip, that works for me and then I can get into the rest with a carding tool or deshed in the bath.
                    I have a jack russell that gets a #10 (yuk, I hate it but owner insists..) I preclip w/a 7F on this one, run the carding tool over him bath then HV, still a few lines but close to perfect!

Comment

I had to shave down a husky yesterday, and boy, was it a challenge. The owners wanted a #7 and a teddy bear head. How the heck do you do a teddy bear head on a HUSKY? At the end, the poor dog looked ridiculous, but at least she was smooth. I left before the owners picked her up, but I hope they were happy. I told my boss I won't clilp down double-coated breeds again--it's no good for them and I can't stand doing it!

Comment

For some strange reason dogs that are difficult in the floor will sometimes do a lot better to just do everything in the tub. I also find that a stripping knife will erase some lines that are left on lab shaves but sometimes it's just the coat and there's not a lot you can do about it.

Lisa

Comment

?

last time I checked, labs didnt NEED to be shaved. I think they all look bad. clean, dirty, wet, dry, reverse. they just look bad shaved.
                          ok, my opinion out of the way, I would have started with the belly, that way when the dog got goofy, I would stop and not finish clipping. why would you want to torture the dog. getting some dogs, or cats, comfortable with grooming takes time. ive had a dogs, mostly puppies, but some adults, that have to come in more than once to be completed. we want them to enjoy the experience. if every time they come in we have to force the groom, they will never learn to enjoy it.

Comment

Why would anyone shave a lab? Isn't there hair short enough. They are not meant to be shaved. Was the blade sharp enough? Was it hot. He was probably scared. His coat will never be the same. I am sorry but I would never shave a short haired dog. What is the purpose. But if I did I would do a 5 or 4 reverse.
                            You had a hard day, I hope you charged good money for him.

Comment

I have had many owners come in for various reasons asking for their short hair dogs to be shaved. Most common I hear is due to allergies in the family... someone in the family has developed either 'seasonal allergies' or a new 'addition' to the family has them, either way I get quite a few.
                              As to not wanting to stand up... I have a table that lowers to about 16-18" and I have a Pup Tent support. It is as several others have already said... I reverse shave. If you are not familiar with this process, the best way I can help describe it is to make sure you are pulling the skin tight above where you are shaving... like if you are shaving (against the grain of how the hair is growing) pull the skin taught behind where you have already shaved.
                              I also have a vac system which is IMHO a HUGE help but you dont have to have one to do a good job.

If you still feel awful about it... you could call them and explain, then offer a 'correction' try at no cost to them... it might be just the thing for good PR and good practice for you! Cant hurt to try

Comment

Working...
                              X